G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks I am going to be a tourist in NYC later in the summer. I'm confident my family will endour one side trip. I wonder if there is a better location to check out, particularly knowing my interest lies in Large Scale, Trainworld or Trainland. If you have thoughts or comments, I would appreciate them. Thank you.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Keep in mind that Trainland is actually not in NYC but in Lynbrook Long Island about 15 miles outside of Manhatten. Trainworld is in Brooklyn. If you have a car there is no real problem. If not, the LIRR Lynbrook station is not too far away. Brooklyn will require the subway. Trainland does stock large scale but I have found that most items come from the warehouse in Brooklyn. So, either should work but if you are looking for a specific item I would try Brooklyn. Or call ahead to check.
Oh and either way you get there, avoid rush hour.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I visited my daughter in NY a few years back and went to Trainworld. Was underwhelmed to say the least. Many people on phones taking orders. A little G scale in the back room but not very much.

·
TDY to Earth
1,483 Posts
I went to Trainland in Lynbrook a few years ago. The small parking lot had a 15 foot high security fence with six strands of barbed wire [3 on each side] and rolled concertina wire on the top. The roof was protected by concertina wire as well. Told me a lot about the location. I spent about $400 in cash and was required to show photo ID before they would take my money.

Staff was not helpful or pleasant. Basically was told, "If you can find it, you can buy it". My mail order experience was less satisfactory; refused to EXCHANGE defective LGB cars. BEST OF LUCK.

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
When there wasn't a problem, everything went well with my internet/ mail orders all was fine. If there was a problem, here is the missing part. Next time contact LGB, don't bother us.

I had similar problems from another net supplier, but they are no longer in business. Could it be because I stopped buying from them too?

I've never been to the stores, my only experience is with the remote contact.

I don't know what your plans are, but three excellent "G" gauge stores in the northeastern US are:

Charles Ro, Malden, Ma

Nicholas Smith, Broomhall, Pa (suberban Philadelphia)

Star Hobbies, Annapolis, Md

I've had excellent service from all of the above. They have large inventories on the floor and with a question they are helpful finding something in the back.

Chuck

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Yeah Chuck all the ones that I stopped buying from because of issues with my orders have also gone the way of the dodo. The collective karma perhaps?

Andrew

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
Andrew

With Trainworld an LGB car arrived without a brake hose on on end, a small thing, but it wasn't there.

I called and later received it taped to a card. Great, but for the note attached.

Later I had a order of three items to St. Albans. They had two items which I quickly received. Nothing was said about back ordering the third. Six months later it arrived with the queen post on one of the bolsters was broken. Called, the answer was "call LGB, it's their problem, not ours".

End of my business with them. I was able to fix it, but the aditude left a lot to be desired.

What bothered me most, was that neither of these purchases were my first with either vendor. At the time, a significant amount of my inventory came from them.

Chuck

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Chuck, I spent quite a lot with St Aubins and was happy to save on shipping requesting surface mail overseas. I would often buy several items at a time so they in their daftness would put them all in a big box which exceeded the allowable box size then send them by the most expensive shipping service possible. I am convinced they got incentives to use the more expense services. What should have cost $100 or so in shipping, cost me $500! Defeated the entire purpose of doing business with them. A nitwit could do better so I blacklisted them for 10 years then they carcked it, like the dodo. All history now...

Andrew

·
Registered
284 Posts
I went to Trainland in Lynbrook a few years ago. The small parking lot had a 15 foot high security fence with six strands of barbed wire [3 on each side] and rolled concertina wire on the top. The roof was protected by concertina wire as well. Told me a lot about the location. I spent about $400 in cash and was required to show photo ID before they would take my money.

Staff was not helpful or pleasant. Basically was told, "If you can find it, you can buy it". My mail order experience was less satisfactory; refused to EXCHANGE defective LGB cars. BEST OF LUCK.
This does not sound like the Lynbrook location (Trainland). Perhaps Brooklyn? (Trainworld) The location in Lynbrook is certainly not in a bad area.

·
Registered
284 Posts

·
TDY to Earth
1,483 Posts
That is the location... no doubt in my mind. The exterior of the building has been redone, and the big fence is gone. Much better looking.

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
I've been to both locations, the areas are very different, but the attitude is the same. That also goes for in person or on the phone, ALL BUSINESS, if you are prepared with part numbers you will do fine on the initial order. Have never had an issue with anything, not to say it doesn't happen. If you can deal with the ATTITUDE you can find what you are looking for, and at a reasonable price. Jersey dealers are the same, just not as abrupt.

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
I've been to both locations, the areas are very different, but the attitude is the same. That also goes for in person or on the phone, ALL BUSINESS, if you are prepared with part numbers you will do fine on the initial order. Have never had an issue with anything, not to say it doesn't happen. If you can deal with the ATTITUDE you can find what you are looking for, and at a reasonable price. Jersey dealers are the same, just not as abrupt.
"All business" is fine..I have no problem with that..but there is a fine-line between "all business" and "rude attitude" ;) I stopped ordering from Trainworld/Trainland a decade ago, because of the attitude.

Problem order: They charged me more than their advertised price in the current issue of Garden Railways. When I contacted them to let them know, the only solution was "you can return it"..I didnt want to return it! I only wanted a refund for what I was over-charged. It wasnt a ton of money, and I wanted the locomotive, so I just let it go rather than deal with the hassle of a return. (This could have been a legit mistake, but it seemed a bit fishy..)

Tried again maybe a year later..having learned the previous lesson, this time I made sure to get the price confirmed while I was on the phone placing the order..On the phone with the lady taking the order, near the end of the ordering process:

Me: "can I have the total price please?"
Order lady: "I know my job sir"

Me: (not understanding what she meant by that..saying nothing in reply..a silent pause goes by for a few seconds)

Me: "hello? still there?"
Order lady: "yes sir?"
Me: "can I have the total price please?"
Order lady: "I know my job sir"

Me: "umm..ok?" (still not getting it..then finally it sinks in..)
Me: "can I have the price of the order?"
Order lady: "I know how to do my job"
Me: "cancel the order..good bye."

She refused to give me the price! because she "knew her job" and apparently was incapable of making a mistake, so I had no right to question her..wow.

never ordered from them again, and never will..

Scot

·
Registered
756 Posts
You know, with all the amazing things that NYC offers, theatres, museums, restaurants, people watching, etc., I cannot imagine taking the time to go to TW. Even old FOA Schwartz was more likely to wow than TW. jus sayin

I have done business wit TW NJ since 1986.
All of the above is true.
They used to have superb competitive pricing , so the attitude is less tolerable by far.

I agree about Star and Nicholas Smith, but neither is competitively priced.

With a bit of work, once can find a bit better new retail prices. and pleasantness.

I have the same reaction to the charmer answering the phone, but, they ARE imho competent, and a little civility and gratefulness on my end usually makes those folks very willing to please.

I have had a couple of missing items, missing bucket and spigot on the original CONOCO LGB tank car, it was promptly and courteously sent. That was about 1988.

Bought an NOS 2051s which advertised as new, was probably a returned item. I arrived with one dim headlamp and, a broken handrail under the cab window. When I asked for a handrail to replace the broken one, I was asked for a photo of a broken hand rail! Nothing like making things easy for a customer with a damaged item......

I have from time to time received my LGB boxes crushed due to careless packing.

I have spent many thousands with TW, and at one time happily so.

TW was an amazing place when walthers had a death grip on most other distributors. There was a time when TW bought old stock, closed them out, and made LGB affordable, (even hordable!!! LOL).

In Denver, there is Caboose Hobbies, still pretty amazing, but less so than ten yrs ago. But they were full retail, and a walthers distributor. I had no qualms about saving 40-60% and foregoing the local merchant, one I had also done business since 1970!

WIth Marklin, more careful and limited production , dealers dropping, and the demise in general of people who have trains as an interest and disposable $$$$, and Walthers, presently I think the days of really affordable LGB are gone, but for the used market.

They are , I believe high volume, low service, somewhat low prices, and, simply, to geared to help, only to process and ship, which sans problems, they do well, and, reflect modern sales. FWIW, I recently bought a new BMW, and was treated with rudeness, disorganized communication and delivery and generally poorly as the old Murray Motors dealership has been purchased by a big, low end national dealer, Sonic.
I know how the other half lives, and it sucks.......

OTOH, Costco rocks when there is a problem.

Its top down management that sets the tone with employees.
if I sold to geezers, (as a large part of the train world)
, I might be a bit more old school in service.
I guess if you have Sopranos as your customers, the 'tude is to be expected.......

·
Registered
455 Posts
Actually I was reminded that Ken B. originally posted this Oct. 9th on another forum as a thread, when I popped in there to post if not already done.

Not too many peoples will travel many miles to attend a store 'minor event'.

IF Ron is travelling around, maybe he will be this years embedded manufacturer rep at the regional LS reseller booth, at our ST'17.

Plausible as Piko had their product&sales mgr embedded at the booth for day 1 of ST'16. He seemed to have a great time visiting with potential and existing consumers of their product line.

doug c

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Scotty People pay extra to have that New York Attitude (NYA) in stores. It adds to the ambiance. Same thing in taxi cabs and on the subway, you expect to have the NYA thrown at you every day.

If New York did not have NYA, then it would be just like Peoria, and I have nothing against Peoria but it does not have an attitude.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts