G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Remember, the majority of our model RR stuff comes to the US by containers on the decks of ships, which get as hot or hotter inside Vs. a ventilated attic. Insulated ones are reserved for drugs, chemicals, foods, etc.

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Posted By Chris Scott on 07/23/2008 8:06 PM
$0.02
Rent storage at a U-Stor-It (or whatever name) near you. But make sure it is insulated or weather proofed. Newly/recently built units tend to come standard with weather proofing. If your trains will fit in an attic you probably only need a small storage unit so the cost will be minimal. Believe me, attic baked trains are not worth the risk.

Having been around both attics and U-stor-its (from climate controlled to the metal shed) I do not see any difference between an insulated unit (non climate controlled) and a house attic?

The outdoor comments are valid, there you are dealing with the sun and uneven (roof in sun, bottom in shade) heat which brings about warpage.....

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Again posts on speculation that there may be problems, but none saying "I stored something up there and it failed".

I guess our over ten years of storing stuff in attics (not just trains either but other model kits) without problems in TN (95 here today BTW) must be bogus?

And the only "lube dry out" problem I have had on an LGB piece is one that sits on display in the family room which is 68 in summer and 72 in winter.....

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Posted By Chris Scott on 07/30/2008 6:39 PM
Experience? Do I have real experience.

From experience... ONLY #5 or #6 were/are safe. Anything in an uninsulated attic exposed to temperature extremes will be cooked, and very well done. I used to collect old LGB and bought lots off eBay. Whenever anyone wrote telling me the item was/had been stored in their attic (house or garage), and after the first several times the item always arriving w/faded box, often red gloss paper peeling, box sleeve warped, yellowed cellophane, and sometimes wheel axles (or other parts) warped, after that I always avoided or canceled buys from attic storage.

Interesting on the yellowed windows in boxes. I got some NIB 1980s LGB that had yellowed windows, UV as they sat in a shop window. The attic boxes are still clear. Basement boxes from Yankeeland are sometimes bad news due to the smell/and sometimes mold/moisture damage.

Never had any problems with the Luran plastic, it's primary function is automotive applications. And last time I checked LGB axels are steel?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.