G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
$0.02

Rent storage at a U-Stor-It (or whatever name) near you. But make sure it is insulated or weather proofed. Newly/recently built units tend to come standard with weather proofing. If your trains will fit in an attic you probably only need a small storage unit so the cost will be minimal. Believe me, attic baked trains are not worth the risk.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Experience? Do I have real experience. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crazy.gif /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/sick.gif

I've stored for long periods in the following (from worst to best):

1. Ribbed steel bolt together 8x8 yard shed (4yr, '01-04), Sonoma, CA (southern exposure) - a true oven.

2. Attic: 1970 (built) garage attic (10yr, 1990(bought)-'00) Uninsulated, comp. roof, Sunnyvale, CA (southern exposure, no shade) - very hot, baked anything.

3. Attic: 1985 (custom built) garage attic (5 years) '85-00) Uninsulated, comp. roof, Sacramento, CA (southern exposure, no shade) - very hot, baked anything.

4. Tuff Shed (10x12 wood frame, T-111 siding (uninsulated)), 4yr, '04-08, Sonoma, CA, (middle of open lot, no shade) Better than metal shed having rafter and gable vents, but still hot.

5. Insulated storage locker 10x25 (built '97), (3 yrs, '98-01) (store furniture, household, trains, etc., during house build), Sonoma, CA (back to back row units, steel roll-up door northern exposure - kept the storage from heating through sun baked steel door.) Stayed reasonable temp on hot days.

6. Attic: 2001 (custom built) garage attic ('01-to date). 20x35 detached garage, 2x6 walls R20+ cellulose insulated & R30+ flat ceiling (fiberglass bats), sheet rocked & painted. Insulated roll up 4 panel (typ.) door (northern exposure. Attic storage: 20x17, ext. & pony walls: 3ea.x1"=R20+ rigid foam panels (R7/in", foil-faced Poly-board); ceiling/rafters 4ea.x1"=R28 (same foam board), sheet rocked and painted. (to building codes; florescent lights, electrical and fire sprinklers

No, I did not learn from my (#3) '85-90 attic experience storing stuff in another uninsulated attic '90-00 (#4). But the third time is the charm and our current house my garage attic is perfect, maybe gets to 80 on a 100+ day. Same day, I can walk into the garage in mid afternoon and it's barely 70 degrees, and in the mornings it's downright cold (temp drops to 50s overnight in the summer here.) The insulated attic essentially double insulates the garage itself. Makes working in my garage shop very pleasant in the hot summer or cold winter with a small space heater.

From experience... ONLY #5 or #6 were/are safe. Anything in an uninsulated attic exposed to temperature extremes will be cooked, and very well done. I used to collect old LGB and bought lots off eBay. Whenever anyone wrote telling me the item was/had been stored in their attic (house or garage), and after the first several times the item always arriving w/faded box, often red gloss paper peeling, box sleeve warped, yellowed cellophane, and sometimes wheel axles (or other parts) warped, after that I always avoided or canceled buys from attic storage. I have suffered through baked Christmas ornaments, disintegrated carpets, warped 33rpm records, among numerous other ruined items.

I hope some can benefit from my bad and good experiences. But I suppose that is just speculation. ;) :) :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Posted By Spule 4 on 08/02/2008 12:19 PM
Posted By Chris Scott on 07/30/2008 6:39 PM
Experience? Do I have real experience.
From experience... ONLY #5 or #6 were/are safe. Anything in an uninsulated attic exposed to temperature extremes will be cooked, and very well done. I used to collect old LGB and bought lots off eBay. Whenever anyone wrote telling me the item was/had been stored in their attic (house or garage), and after the first several times the item always arriving w/faded box, often red gloss paper peeling, box sleeve warped, yellowed cellophane, and sometimes wheel axles (or other parts) warped, after that I always avoided or canceled buys from attic storage.

Interesting on the yellowed windows in boxes. I got some NIB 1980s LGB that had yellowed windows, UV as they sat in a shop window. The attic boxes are still clear. Basement boxes from Yankeeland are sometimes bad news due to the smell/and sometimes mold/moisture damage.
Never had any problems with the Luran plastic, it's primary function is automotive applications. And last time I checked LGB axels are steel?

I have not opened or been near my LGB stuff in 10 or 11 years since being infected with Live Steam (oh, and having to move all that LGB stuff - twice. So memory being what it is I probably have forgotten more than I knew on LGB mechanicals. Yellow or not windows? I mostly just remember attic dust and dirt; the windows dirty, brittle, and the glue brakedown (detached windows) from temp extremes.

Of course. a lot depends on how your trains are stored in a shed or attic. Whether they are in larger cardboard cartons or loose.

Soil conditions typically prevent basements in California, except for maybe the occasional wine cellar at least here Northern California(but the construction costs are quite expensive). It's easier to build a temp controlled/humidity room/closet inside the house or buy a specialty refrig.

:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.