G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a chance to run up to Don's house today . And yes he made me work, I was down on my knees begging for even a simple hot dog to keep me going.

My NTCX geeps arrived for a visit.

Hes using the ladder method and it seems to be the best answer for his situation.

He has nice sweaping curves and will have passing sidings and a spur heading to the indoor yards.
A must see if your going through town.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Don and Marty

Looking Good. Nice big gentle curves and smooth trasitions. Should provide good running.

Stan

I seem to remember an old post where someone in Canada tried the post and ladder method, but the frost is deep enough there that it still heaved out of the ground, with disasterous results. So you have to be sure to get your posts far enough in the ground. It might be easier to build some kind of floating system that has some built in ajustment come spring.

Terl

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Looking good Don. I wish I had did the ladder system when I went threw the fence to the side yard.

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
Posted By Terl on 05/05/2008 7:17 AM

I seem to remember an old post where someone in Canada tried the post and ladder method, but the frost is deep enough there that it still heaved out of the ground, with disasterous results. Terl

If I recall correctly it was Mark Horsetead from up north of Toronto? He was building a decked system and while he places 4x4 posts in the ground they were not deep enough nor anchored in any way. Because it was a decked over system it was difficult to fix.

I've not heard from him in over a year now. I know he was involved in Canada's military as a pilot and I hope his military travels have not be detrimental to his helth and railroading?

Chas

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
Nice work! Next time your in Denver let me know I'll get some work lined up for you :)

I see the PVC pipe for height and side-to-side leveling, what type of board is being used under the track?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Jerry,

I drill a hole 20" deep then get the length of pipe, add 3-4". Then I drive it into the ground till I'm at the right height, level and back fill and pack the dirt, a little at a time. The roadbed is 1x2" Never rot from Home Depot and Menard's. Been very happy with the way it works out. Easy to bend, and just screws
together, or you can glue it with pipe glue.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Matt
I could not find it. so I will look in photos.

thats it

I looked through railway achieves for photos and help. the shell comes off and the lights work in reverse. gets power from lead unit.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Looking GREAT Don, Don't be to hard on Marty, You have to keep his strength up so he can keep workin. hehe

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Getting close! To muddy to do roadbed so I laid track. I'm more then half way around.:D I'm starting to run more then work, is that bad?

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Posted By Trains on 05/09/2008 3:30 PM
:D" I'm starting to run more then work, is that bad?

It's one of the symtoms of advancing Garden Railroad Disease, but I don't think it's fatal.:D:D

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
It is good that Don has Marty Crawling around on his hands and knees. It builds corodination and I noticed last Sept Mary was getting a little Flabby. He needs the excirsize.:D

·
Registered
1,033 Posts

Have some more done on the Railroad,

I have all the track laid on the roadbed that is up, needs to stop raining!

Running more then working, it's back and forth but it fun!:D

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
woow, you figured out how to post photos,,great

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Don really hates to mow, so hes using up as much grass as possible.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts