G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got one today, after reading about them here. The price was a real stumbling block, but I went ahead an ordered it. It came today--what  a remarkable tool

First off it's larger than it looks and it's quite heavy--extremely well made.  But I'm so impressed with how it works. My layout is built on a ladder trackbed, and I had some spots on my track where straight and curved section didn't quite line up--places where one section of LGB 1600 curve was too tight,and so there was a big gap at one rail joint and not another.  Ugly looking and ugly running. Well I just took the trainli out and started messng around, and in 5 minutes those spots were fixed--smooth, even curves. It was completely painless and easy

I can't wait to lay some track

G

·
0 Posts
I got 1 for my Bday this past Dec, haven't used it yet....weather and sick /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/sick.gif kids...but I deff have some work to do!

cale

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've had one during all of my railway construction efforts (my first) and they are great tools.  Matter of fact if I'd had the experience I now have with it I would not have purchased any sectional track at all!! /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/wow.gif  It has allowed me to mate some rail that otherwise would have been very difficult and probably dysfunctional at best.

As you can tell I have nothing but praise for the T-L, and they are pretty tough too! I do almost all my bending on the road bed (concrete board), and the bearings have gotten covered in dirt and fines several times.  I just spray it down with a penetrating oil and then a good dose of light machine or gun oil.:D

Mark

·
Master of Disaster
867 Posts
I have useed mine and wondered how I did my curves without one!

Soo much smoother curves then manually bending them!

Bubba

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
A good friend of mine has one and he has demo'ed it for me and it works just great.
He created a curve effortlessly and then proceeded to remove the curve and he had a perfectly straight (with no kinks) track w\o any signs of having been a curved section.
It is an expensive "tool" but it does what it says it can do.
Last I heard, our club was purchasing one for members to borrow when they needed it.  I am looking forward to using it when the time comes.

Tom

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Our club just purchased one, for use by our members. Can't wait for my turn! Actually, I need to get about 12" of snow melted off of my trouble spots, first.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
The price was somewhat intimidating; but, I've been very well pleased with mine.

Llyn

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
I have had my Train-Li for about a year and yes the initial price isn't inexpensive but, I do not buy any curved track anymore only 5 ft straight and make all of my own curves. I know guys that have to lay their road bed to fit their preformed curved track and are frustrated they can't just make the roadbed and fit the track to it. The Train-Li takes all the hassle out of it and makes the track fit the roadbed. YES!!

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
I have never seen a price for this unit, I know the SVRR one is around $85 or so, how are the two different?

Thanks

·
Super Modulator
20,512 Posts
$265 for the unit, not counting the clamp to hold rails from moving (a good idea). The best dual bender around and the most expensive. It's a quite a cut above the SVRR one.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What sold me on it was that I have a whole bunch of LGB 1100  curves which are pretty much useless for the Am. Mainline stuff I want to run. With the bender I can turn that trrack into whatever I need, and it will pay for itself in the cost of new track.

Also MLS members get a discount

·
Super Modulator
20,512 Posts
I have heard nothing but good stuff on this bender, and will be purchasing it in the future, since I'm making a helix in a tight space, i.e. have to rebend the rail. I have played with one at a show, and it works great, and it also bends SS rail, which I use.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Posted By Greg Elmassian on 02/28/2008 2:26 PM
It's a quite a cut above the SVRR one.

Regards, Greg

In what capacity? The only difference I am seeing is the ability to do two rails at once, which I guess would make things a bit faster?

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
I have both the SVRR and the TrainLi. They each have their place. The SVRR is good for bending single rails before installing the ties. The TrainLi will bend both rails while attached to the ties. The TrainLi really shines when aligning track in place on the ground which is impossible with the SVRR. If I could only have one I would get the TrainLi.

·
Super Modulator
20,512 Posts
Garrett, it is much heavier duty, in my opinion, heavier bearings, heavier frame. I do not the think SVRR bender would handle SS also. That may be of no importance to you, of course.

Just comparing the two. If you are driving to the store, you can do it in a toyota or a ferrari, does not make much difference, if you are in a race, there is a difference.

Likewise, it's whatever you need from a bender.

Bending the rails in place, without removing them from the ties is a big plus. Being able to "tweak" track that is already assembled is handy.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Posted By Greg Elmassian on 02/28/2008 9:27 PM

Bending the rails in place, without removing them from the ties is a big plus. Being able to "tweak" track that is already assembled is handy. 

The tweak factor is priceless.,  It makes all your bends and connections look like they are perfect.

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Posted By Greg Elmassian on 02/28/2008 9:27 PM
Garrett, it is much heavier duty, in my opinion, heavier bearings, heavier frame. I do not the think SVRR bender would handle SS also. That may be of no importance to you, of course.

Just comparing the two. If you are driving to the store, you can do it in a toyota or a ferrari, does not make much difference, if you are in a race, there is a difference.

Likewise, it's whatever you need from a bender.

Regards, Greg

Does the TrainLi bender do both 32 and 45mm gauge tho?  I ask as the track that I will be laying will be SM32, the rest is all LGB/Aristo 45mm gauge.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts