G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before anyone asked, I can remove 6 screws from any point and get inside.
This is to store cars only and to keep me from killing the dog for messing things up.
Made out of all scrap metals but for the roof.
Vented ridge ( coming Monday) two sky lights , end plexiglass to see trains moving.
screened areas to keep wasp from coming in. And hopefully mouse proof.

32ft long and 6ft wide.

Built like those car port thingys.

Hinged like airport doors

12" clearance high

G

·
0 Posts
Hey, i thought that area was supposed to be for your passenger cars? no!!! i guess things changed when you got the dog.. he is huge!!!!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gif i betcha he could pick up some of them cars and fling um all over the place??/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif i guess thats why you build the storage builing to keep him out of the trains????
Nick...

·
Registered
514 Posts
I remember the construction pics Marty, and like Nick I was under the impression that it was going to be a passenger depot.
Anyway it looks great with the overall roof and your stock will be well protected from the rains that you seems to have had a fair amount of in Nebraska of late. Nice work.

If you ever get out of large scale trains you can always rent it out to Wall-Mart. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I loved the passenger station idea, but it real life with sticks, leaves, dog it just won't work.
Plus in winter its a drifting area.
I'm getting lazy, this still can be used as a station area. But for 360 days out of the year its just me. The two mains will stay clear. main 3 will be for parking of locals. the rest is storage. box car train, grain, tank/lumber, and 3 tracks with coal. Plus the passenger trains will be on ready tracks in the shop.
I was looking at the Fairplex photos that someone had posted and I liked their shed. mine is smaller.
My next goal is to get the turntable up and ready for Sept. By the steam up bay.

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Mouse Proof??? Ha, nothing is mouse proof. I still can't convince my wife of that fact.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Nicely done Marty. It's about twice as big as mine, which is off on a siding. But you will really enjoy having made up trains right there ready to run in minutes. I am really interested in the folding door. If I take all the switches out of mine to make room for more cars, then I will need to open the end up like you have. I can't tell what holds it open, but that is an excellent design. Can you splain this to me.
Paul

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Golding terminal is now indoors!

I was just in Chicago's "Ogilvie" station the other day, with all the trains sitting inside. It's just a block away from Union Station with the trains in the basement.

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
Quite the train shed, very nice Marty! Thanks for the pics and how to. i like how the door swings up.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had scrap 2" angle iron from old roadbed that I tested and did not like.
I made a jig out of 1 X 2s on a sheet of OSB and welded 5 sections, then a plate on the bottome with concrete holes. I did have to relay the outer east track to make it fit because when I poured the slab I did not worry if it was square at the time.
After bolting the vertical supports in place and square I then installe two 16' X 38 " sheets of discounted galv roof. I had wanted white but cheat is cheat with todays streel prices.
Then I ripped some CCA treated 1 X 6 and screwed them into place on the sides. took some J and placed it on top of the sides to keep wasp from entering.
I'll take a photo of the vent once I finish it.
This is light weight and strong as a car port type cover, yet can be taken apart in no time.
I plan to cover the turntable area also.
I may remove the ends at open houses. I don't want the dog to walk in and knock cars over.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Sooooo If all your cars are going outside, what is going in the workshop? More cars and engines? Couple of more BIGBOY'S? Maybe get the old gas turbine done?

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Don
I'm old and lazy, and i like to run most of all that I have . The gons, bulkheads, pulpwood cars etc. are up and ready to run any time. Next time you come to run just bring your locos and hook on to what ever you want to pull.

The coal train may stay indoors because of size in the old storage tracks.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OH, Dave asked how long to build?
two months of tring to figure just what I wanted to do VS do nothing at all.

Once I accepted that the station won't not work.

Once it "clicks" two evenings cutting and welding. one evening of metal cutting/installing.
two evenings of ends, prime paint, etc.
Vents are on today.
I tried to take my time, but I do "building" for a living. All building projects on the RR is run like I would if I built a garage for someone.
Alot of times I order decals after the car is painted to force me to let the paint dry good.
I have materials, truck parts all stocked for next winters cold evenings of scratchbuilding what ever..

Max will be alot bigger than Angel was.
Hes 10 months old now.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts