G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I use the MTH DCS system in my train, it has the ability to play music thru the speaker as the train goes around the layout. At a train show, where there are young and old alike, what kind of music do you think would be good to play?  Which train songs? Something that the drivers could keep a good beat with, either at slow or medium speed.  

Cliff

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
John Prine : Paradise
Grand Funk Railroad : The Railroad
Grateful Dead : Casey Jones
Grateful Dead : Terrapin Station
The Doobie Brothers : Long Train Runnin'
The Monkees : Last Train to Clarksville
The Monkees : What am I Doing Hangin' Round
Gordon Lightfoot : Canadian Railroad Trilogy
Ozzy Osborne : Crazy Train

I'm sure I'll think of more...

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Bob Dylan : Railroad Bill
Gordon Lightfoot : Steel Rail Blues
Grateful Dead : Big Railroad Blues
James Taylor : Riding on a Railroad
Johnny Cash : Riding the Rails
Justin Hayward : Railway Hotel
Lynyrd Skynyrd : Railroad Song
Martin Simpson : Long Steel Rail
Aerosmith : Train Kept A Rollin'
The Band : Last Train From Memphis
Ben Harper : Fool for a Lonesome Train
Blackfoot : Train Train
Bruce Cockburn : Train in the Rain
Rod Steward : Downtown Train
Buddy Guy : Midnight Train
Cat Stevens : Peace Train
Chet Atkins : Freight Train
The Clash : Train in Vain
Duke Ellington : Take the A Train
Elton John : Runaway Train
The Highwaymen : Desperados Waiting for a Train
Jimi Hendrix : Hear My Train A Comin'
Gladys Knight : Midnight Train to Georgia
Joe Satriani : Train of Angles

Of Course...

Arlo Guthrie : City of New Orleans...

But that should be played with a scale City of New Orleans really...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Funny you shoud mention this, I once made up a mixed cd with train songs. Most have been listed here already (they are all classic rock) The one you need to add is Jethro Tull's "Locomotive Breath". Not only is it a great song and its about trains, it also has the beat you are looking for - to stay with the drivers, that song sounds like chugging to me!
Last night I picked up my guitar - first time in a while and train kept a rollin' jumped out of me now tonight its gonna be locomotive breath!!!
thanks!!!
Matt
p.s. forgot to mention Kid Rock has a song called "Rock And Roll Pain Train"
more will come to me later as well
I keep remembering more.
 Aerosmith did a cover album a few years back called "honkin on Bobo" - great album, anyway there are two train songs on there "back back train" - great song! and "Jesus is on the mainline"
Runaway train - Soul Asylum
Guns & Roses - Night Train
Metallica has a song called "no leaf clover" that mentions a train in the chorus
Harry Chapin has a few songs about trains, I can't remember titles now though
Velvet Revolver - Sucker Train Blues
im sure more still will come to me

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Eric Clapton : Mean Ole Frisco Blues
B.B King : When Love Comes to Town
Jerry Lee Lewis : Waiting for a Train
Woodie Guthrie : Union Labor Train
Little Feat : Two Trains
Neil Young : Train of Love
Paul Simon : Train in the Distance
The Eagles : Train Leaves Here This Morning
The Beatles : Ticket to Ride
Mississippi John Hurt : Spike Drivers Blues
Dwight Yokum : 1000 miles to Nowhere
Dwight Yokum : Smoke Along the Track
The Blues Brothers : She Caught the Katy
Melissa Ehtridge : Royal Station 416
Rod Stewart/Jeff Beck : People Get Ready
Sleepy LaBeef : Mystery Train
Jethro Tull : Locomotive Breath
The Who : 5:15
The Beatles : One after 9:09

I got a million of 'em...
(please note what's in my lap in the photo to your left.... )

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Why does the music have to be "train songs"?

"William Tell Overture" - 3rd Movement (Gioachino Rossini) when barreling out of a tunnel and across a high trestle.

"Fanfare for the Common Man" (Aaron Copeland) when entering a yard or station stop.

"Rodeo - Buckaroo Holiday" (Aaron Copeland) in a prairie setting.

There is a whole lot more music more appropos to the grandure of a train than songs that sometimes mock railroading.

Obviously, my viewpoint /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blink.gif is quite different than most everybody else! /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue2.gif

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Kingston Trio - MTA
Paridise-John Denver
I personally prefer the Willie Nelson cut of City of New Orleans
Orange Blossum Special -Johnny Cash

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
With a Traditional Blues feel...

Junior Watson : Lonesome Train
Junior Watson : Big Boy
Junior Watson : The Train
Willie Dixon & The Chicago Blues Band : Twenty Nine ways to my Baby's Door
John Hammond Jr. : 2:19
Buddy Guy : Moanin' & A Groanin'
John Hammond Jr. : I'm Leavin' You

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Great suggestions! But I don't think a 1900 something steam train would have rock musicians on board...

Need a honky tonk piano and some old time or style music.....  How about

Sample:

Orange Blossom Special

And you don't need MTH DCS

Topic

Craig

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Posted By sheepdog on 01/26/2008 2:33 PM
Great suggestions! But I don't think a 1900 something steam train would have rock musicians on board...

Need a honky tonk piano and some old time or style music...

True enuff..

There's tons of great "train music" out there. My taste and experience swing more toward Rock... (Plain' the Lek-trick Gee-tar and all) . 

Dig into the worlds of Blue Grass, folk, jazz, traditional (pre electric) blues and you'll find thousands of train songs.. 

Not a bad one in the bunch I'd bet.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I DON'T have sound, but I usually put Glenn Miller on the stereo anytime I run trains. :)

Might have sumptin to do with my Grandpa, anytime he did model train stuff there was always big band music playing.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Posted By Semper Vaporo on 01/26/2008 1:09 PM

Why does the music have to be "train songs"?

"William Tell Overture" - 3rd Movement (Gioachino Rossini) when barreling out of a tunnel and across a high trestle.

"Fanfare for the Common Man" (Aaron Copeland) when entering a yard or station stop.

"Rodeo - Buckaroo Holiday" (Aaron Copeland) in a prairie setting.

There is a whole lot more music more appropos to the grandure of a train than songs that sometimes mock railroading.

Obviously, my viewpoint /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blink.gif is quite different than most everybody else! /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue2.gif

Charles, Thanks, It doesn't nessaceraly need to be train songs or songs about trains. just as long as it has a good beat that I can run the train with and not have to make it go over 30 mph. Also, Something that won't drive the audience away, ( I think they will be impressd with it just playing music or blowing the whistle).

Dave, only a music man can name as many songs as you have, I have probably heard most of them but don't know the titles or Artists.

Craig, I have the orange Blossom Special on my compuer and I didn't even think about it. I have made a video of it playing The Wabash Cannonball, Take me home country roads, High Hopes, Thank God I'm a Country Boy.  

I am glad to see there are so many music lovers on this site.  

Mik, I bet Glen would sound pretty awsome coming from the speaker, he being a felow Flyboy and all. He was one of my moms favorites. 

Cliff

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Posted By Biblegrove RR on 01/26/2008 7:14 PM
Hello!!!!!!!!!!

BOX CAR WILLIE! ;)     WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOP WHOOOOOOOOO

Yip, Already got that one

Cliff

G

·
0 Posts
I'd go with a song called "Coal Train" by Ed Harvey.  But then, I wrote it so I'm biased. ;)

/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/laugh.gif"...watch her roll along, one hundred hoppers long, loaded down with Powder River coal.  She's haulin it back east, to feed a mighty beast, her passin leaves an aching in my soul.  Coal train, coal train, hey where you bound today..."

Ed

G

·
0 Posts
Not yet.  I have plans to burn one soon however.  I do have it somewhere as a very low quality WAV file that I recorded on my palm pilot.  I'd have to look for it as I'm not sure where it is on the computer.

Ed

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Driver 8 - REM although as previously listed Gordon Lightfoot's Canadian Railroad Trilogy and the Who's 5:15 would be my favourites.

·
Senior JOAT
736 Posts
I tend towards old Country and Blue Grass.   Here's a few I have on my system:
[*]Train, Train - Dolly Parton [*]Bluegrass Express - Rhonda Vincent [*]Kentucky Borderline - Rhonda Vincent [*]Choo Choo Ch'Boogie - Asleep at the Wheel [*]City of New Orleans - Willie Nelson [*]The Golden Rocket - Hank Snow [*]I'm Moving On - Hank Snow [*]The Wreck of the Old '97 - Lester Flatt [*]Wabash Cannon Ball - Roy Acuff [*]Orange Blossom Special - Roy Hall and his Blue Ridge Entertainers [*]The Silverton - C.W. McCall [/list]

1 - 20 of 36 Posts