G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All:

First of all, forgive me if this has been discussed, but I can't seem to find any recent/new info to help steer my decisions.

Currently, I have a loop of approx. 120-140 ft of track. I'm looking to add an additional separate outer loop of approx another 100-150 feet of track (with wider radius curves) to better run my Dash 9, and better allow for two separate trains to run at the same time. For power, I'm currently running full analog with a 15amp Crest switching supply and CRE-55401 controller (the controller lives at the layout in a boxcar, I have to kneel down to set it/make speed changes, or run around the layout to it to shut it down if a derailment occurs, etc.). Anyways, considering my expansion plans, I'm considering switching to a system like Revolution. Here are some points why:
  • Trackside receiver makes it attractive so I don't have to convert every single one of my locomotives individually
  • Flexibility to convert some of my locomotives individually so I can run them on the same loop and control them individually
  • and/or set up dedicated "revolution" cars with receivers and set the rest of my locomotives up to run with these attached/controlling them
  • More convenient to run trains and will allow me to shut things down much more quickly should a derailment occur
Seems that there are plenty of setup options. However, with this said, I'm trying to figure out the best way to get into the system, and which options to start with. My options in mind to start are:
  • PWC Trackside Super Base Station, or
  • Linear Trackside Super Base Station, or
  • Just start converting individual locomotives (setting my analog CRE-55401 controller to full output to run the individually converted locomotives)
PWC Trackside is the most attractive to me as I tend to crawl things around my layout, and it is working with my current set of locomotives. Starting this way would essentially be equal to my current setup (except for the wirelessly controlled component of it, not having to kneel down to get a train moving or change speeds, stop it, etc.), and pave the way for expansion of individual locomotives. However, are there any other considerations of trackside PWC vs. Linear with future conversion of some of my locomotives (putting individual revolution cards in some of them)? As I understand it, I would just need to set the trackside receiver to full power output to run the individually converted locomotives. Looking for any insight, intel and experience on the above and also any additional information or intel regarding Revolution to help steer my decisions.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Well, I spoke with Robby at RLD and he has helped answer my questions extensively. I think I'll go with the Linear trackside to start with.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Some engines with air core motors don't "play nice" with PWC.

Some sound systems don't "play nice" with PWC.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some engines with air core motors don't "play nice" with PWC.

Some sound systems don't "play nice" with PWC.
My current set of locomotives all have done fine thus far with my analog PWC controllers. However, I do not know what I will end up with in the future so after talking with Robby I felt linear was the route to go. Order placed :)

Lighting is a big deal to me, as I enjoy running my trains a lot at night. However, for my locos that don't have LED's I can start converting them to bolster the lighting intensity back up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts