G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to use this as a trailing truck for a Ruby, does it just screw in under the cab?

Bicycle part Auto part Font Circle Metal

It is sold as an Accucraft AP-20361 – Mini Pilot Truck

I would like to convert my Ruby from a 0-4-0T to a 0-4-2T

·
Registered
19 Posts
There should be a hole in a cross member towards the rear of the cab. My Mimi has a cross member with a threaded hole where the trailing truck mounts. Take a look and see if this has been done on your Ruby. The pilot truck and trailing truck are exactly the same on my Mimi so this should be possible.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There should be a hole in a cross member towards the rear of the cab. My Mimi has a cross member with a threaded hole where the trailing truck mounts. Take a look and see if this has been done on your Ruby. The pilot truck and trailing truck are exactly the same on my Mimi so this should be possible.
Thank you
My Ruby has a small cross member but no hole drilled in it, but there is a screw immediately behind it that screws into a mount for the boiler that I could possibly use.
Is the trailing truck made from metal or is it plastic?

·
Registered
19 Posts
The pilot truck is all metal. It might be possible to use the screw holding the boiler to the cab floor. However, the trailing truck is moved back closer to the rear beam on the loco. The trailing truck will not be mounted at the correct angle and will be sloping to the rear of the loco. The cross member on my Mimi is screwed into place and could be removed. If yours is the same, a round rod between the frames, this is where the trailing is attached on my engine.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The pilot truck is all metal. It might be possible to use the screw holding the boiler to the cab floor. However, the trailing truck is moved back closer to the rear beam on the loco. The trailing truck will not be mounted at the correct angle and will be sloping to the rear of the loco. The cross member on my Mimi is screwed into place and could be removed. If yours is the same, a round rod between the frames, this is where the trailing is attached on my engine.
Thanks Charles,
Is there any chance of getting a picture of the mounting on your Mimi?
A picture speaks a thousand words

·
Premium Member
6,738 Posts
My Ruby has a small cross member but no hole drilled in it
IMHO, the only safe way to do this is to drill and tap a hole for the trailing truck where you need it. You may have to add a new cross-member to get it in the right place. I certainly would not suggest using a boiler mounting screw.
The screw will be metric so you'll need metric taps, or someone who can do the work for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts