G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to build a layout similar to the one in the EPL Book (page 7) in the picture below.

Text Design Diagram Electrical wiring Technical drawing

the main difference is I am going to have two loops so I am not using a 1015U.

There are a couple things that are not clear from the diagram and the english translation didn't really have much to it either (my german is pretty rusty). Below is a labeled diagram to make this easier to talk about without drawing a complete circuit diagram.

Text Line art Font Line Illustration

So in the EPL diagram, they only wire up one of the 1015T's. Is that the direction train will go, or does it always have to be the turned track?

On the 12050+1203 they show wire 8 (white dot) with a 4, does that mean it goes to the 16 VAC line on the transformer?

On the 1700 contacts they show wire 2 ( circle ) going to 3, does that mean it goes to the 7 VA line on the transformer.

To add to the confusion, my stock LGB transformer (the .5 amp one) has my engines dragging with the length of track so I got a newer transformer (they were out of LGB so i they recommended this massive 10 Amp from USA Trains - Train Power 10). If the previous two questions result in connecting to the 3 & 4 on the transformer, how do I wire the with the Train Power 10 or do I still need the LGB transformer setup to do this?

Lastly the other switch I put in, the only shared wires will be the 4 that come off the transformer, everything else is unique to this one circuit correct?

Sorry for some of the noobish questions, just trying to understand how LGB wires things so I don't blow things up (and make my son really upset). Let me know if anything is not clear.

Thanks!

-Jon

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the takeaway is I need another "Relay Switch" (ie 1201). And I only wire A&B sides of one of the 1015T and only B side of one of the other ones (assuming B is on the circle isolated segment). Then just use the left AC on my 10 AMP Transformer as the hot AC wire (the thing doesn't have terminal marking for some reason) and the right as the cold (neutral).

Does that make sense?

Thanks for your help!

-J

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Happy to report I got it all working. It wasn't pretty (wiring needs some cleanup) but it all works. Thanks again for all your help! Between the schematics and the manual I was able to figure it all out.

-J

· Registered
G Guage track, 1:22.5 (maybe 1:20.3) trains, 1:24 models (finding a working engine).
7 Posts
I am trying to do something similar, but need to know for sure before I buy the missing track.

Rectangle Line Font Parallel Symmetry

I want a circle connected to straight area. I want the train to pick completing a circle or leaving/entering the circle. My area in question is mostly concerned with the triangle area here. To do this, I need a left switch, a right switch, and what?

Also, are g scale switches really supposed to be over $40 each? Or need I shop better?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts