G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a (for now) simple layout, It is not a protypical just one that runs around and will be expanded until I like it. For now the GLR is on a raised platform with 5' and 8' curves if I put a 9' look around it will the trains hit when they pass?? or is 10' the magic number. I use a mix of 20' and 40' cars (LGB and Bachmann)

This layout is a long way from final, for now, it is just about getting something to enjoy while sitting in the yard with my wife.

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Bill, a minimum of 5' Radius (10' diameter) should allow you to run anything you want except a Big Boy :) However you may have to worry about an S curve issue. I've noticed that anything under 10' radius and I have issues with S curves on some rolling stock, like the AMS. If you have at least a 2' section of straight in between the S curves at the 5' radius curves you should be good.

For your outer loop, as long as you have 8" or more from tracks center to center I don't think anything will hit on the curves. And 9' radius around 8' radius should be good as, I think, that will give you about a foot on either side of the curves. Hopefully someone will verify my math :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/ermm.gif Sorry, I made an error, it is Diameter not Radius.

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Well, 5' diameter will limit greatly what you can run. If you can get to a minimum of 8' diameter then you will have a lot more choice of locos and rolling stock you can run. Most LGB can run on 4' diameter. Bachmann is a mixed bag, the newer 1:20.3 locos and rolling stock require 8' diameter.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For this year all I have is LGB, Bachman (Starter sets) and Hartland so the 5' will do for the next few years. i really have little plans (at least for now) of getting much that requires anything larger, but my final plan will be a minimum 8' Diameter with the smaller stuff for my mine and trolley lines.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Bill,

Is there a reason for the 5' diameter loop being indented so far? The reason I ask is because if that section were made a bit shallower you possibly could make a much gentler curvature with 8' diameter curves. The 5' diameter really limits you as to what you can run.

As to 9' diameter around the outside, that would make the distance center to center with the inside track only 6", a very minimum clearance and sure trouble on curves. Most recommend 8" center to center and certainly 7" would be an absolute minimum and that only if you're not running big long modern high cube cars or passenger trains or 1:20.3 Mikes.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The reason for the 5' curve was originally to account for a pond which now will not be there. This set up is a loose one that will be remodelled in the next year or 2, at that time I will be using 8' as my minimum curve but I am also working with a area problem, as for now a 10' diameter may be as large as I can go. Once we get our yard figured (3 or 4 years) I will know how much room I really have to work with. I still plan on using the 5' curve then, but it will be for a mining train with hartland shorty's and a 0-4-0, as for my main line, it will be mostly pre 1900 engines.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts