G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Premium Member
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dan and I have been working ferverishly to complete the expansion of the raised track we built for last year's "World's Greatest Hobby On Tour". We are signed up to set up at the Greenberg show that will be at the Virginia Beach Convention Center next weekend, Feb28 - Mar1. (We even checked with the VB Fire Marshal first!)

We felt we wanted to add a place to steamup without having to carry a hot loco by hand and place it on the track, so switches (or points) and sidings were created. These projects tend to take on a life of their own. The first pic shows the benchwork extending out of my two car (maybe two MINIs) garage just for a reference of scale. The original track was Aster 6 meter diameter track, but with code 200 (210?) some folks had issues with their flanges running directly on the cross ties. So we're still @ 6 meter, but now using code 332 track.

The second pic shows the part we added extending by 8 feet and widening for the siding.

We are also mounting the track permanently and using rail clamps to connect the joints. NO MORE EXPANSIONS DAN! (at least until next year)

I'll post some pictures of the show next weekend and if anyone's nearby and wants to run or stop by and say Hi, we'll be there both Saturday and Sunday.

· Premium Member
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Posted By dhamer52 on 02/20/2009 1:47 PM
We need to add another 8 feet to each end and maybe a 16 foot long yard with dual tracks for the 45mm guys. We can start this summer in time for our next show.

You are smoking crack.

· Premium Member
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Posted By John Allman on 02/20/2009 2:59 PM
How big is the track you are going to run on?

John, it's a 6 meter diameter (19.6 foot) oval with a 16 foot tangent on each side. I'm not sure what the minimum radius is for a Big Boy, but I think we can run most anything. Currently there are two tracks 1 is 45mm and the other is 32mm. Dan will spring for the dual gauge track for next years show
! (He don't know it yet.)

· Premium Member
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Posted By John Allman on 02/21/2009 6:00 AM
Humm....I might just be able to make it. Va beach is only 5 hours from me. It will depend on some things that I can not control (like the stock market!) but I will let you know.

John

Come on down! I'll PM you with my cell #.
Uhh.. looks like the PM wont make it through you spam filter try sending me a message by clicking on the "send message" under my profile on the left.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.