G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Still deciding whether to put a railroad in or not. One possibility is to build a roadbed around my in-ground pool. A couple concern are about possible adverse affects of chlorine water from an occasional splash from time to time when trains not running. The roadbed would be around 6' away from water line at the closest section. Other parts would be 20' away.

Anyone do this?

I was planning on using stainless steel track with stainlless steel split jaws.
Also, thinking of building a roadbed with PVC trim ladder system. If I did, what width of PVC trim boards works best? Can I go as thin as 3/4" by 1.5" PVC trim or would you guys recommend going wider at say 3/4" by 2.5" PVC trim.

Really appreciate any insights and experiences!

·
Registered
147 Posts
One of our club members has theirs around there pool with SS track.
It has been there for years.

·
Super Modulator
20,989 Posts
Well, all the metal in most built-in pools is stainless steel... and the water has chlorine. Think you have nothing to worry about. Greg

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
I've had a railroad around my pool for 5 years and I use nickel silver rail. I have yet to clean it and I run track power!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I got a bunch of free track from a guy that had it on his pool deck for years. The brass was fine, although tops needed a good sanding. But the plastic ties were all dry rotted. I replaced the tie strips and expanded my line.

Now, I don't know if it was cheap track, the chlorine, the hot concrete pool deck in full sun, or the fact that it was in Florida. Could be leaching from the concrete. Possibly all of the above!

·
Super Modulator
20,989 Posts
Mike what brand of track was it?

Rot is usually UV destroying the plastic. Getting hard and/or discolored is a typical reaction to chlorine, but with all the different plastic compounds, the "typical" might not apply to track.

Greg

·
Just another old guy
786 Posts
I have track power brass and nickel plated brass track within 4 feet of my salt water pool going on 9 years now. The occasional splash caused by rambunctious youths (and me) has not affected the tracks at all. Many a time the action in the pool has stopped to watch the train go by.

Tommy
Rio Gracie

·
Senior Dish Washer
3,203 Posts
While my layout around the hot tub and along side the pool was onlt down for a coule of years, I seen no adverse effects from the chlorine.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Mike what brand of track was it?

Rot is usually UV destroying the plastic. Getting hard and/or discolored is a typical reaction to chlorine, but with all the different plastic compounds, the "typical" might not apply to track.

Greg
Greg, I'm not sure of the brand, looked like it could be Aristocraft American style ties, and I know there have been issues with certain lots of them being UV affected. I'm not even sure how long he had them there, but he did note that it was in full sun on a concrete pool deck.

·
Super Modulator
20,989 Posts
Yeah, every so many years, a batch of Aristo track came with no UV protectant in the plastic. It happened about 3 times in my estimation, trying to put the pieces together since the rot will show after 3-5 years typically, so when rot is reported, you have to work backwards a bit.

The lifetime warranty on Aristo track came about because of this happening.. although all you got was replacement tie strips, a real pain to replace and cut to fit the different lengths of track.

Thanks for the reply.

Greg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts