G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend, when I could have been running trains with the gang at Jim Strong's Woodland Railway, I went boating up to Baltimore with the local yacht club, and I took some of them round the B&O museum on Saturday afternoon. The club photographer came along, and took a lot of good photos, so I thought you guys might like to see them:

http://dondement.smugmug.com/gallery/5551629_AWkHk#340107094_BvfjQ

G

·
0 Posts
Those pictures were great, it looks like you all had a fun day there. as im only a couple of states away im going to put it on the list of things to do this summer. thanks for sharing..:D
Nick...

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
It's a great museum. My favorite stuff is the least well displayed--the Allegheny and the Pacific and the streamlined hudson were all close to each other in a side building--hard to get a good sense of them. I went there with my little girl a couple months ago--we had a great time even though it was hotter than blazes.
Here she is at the controls of the Allegheny

Attachments

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
RE: Tour of the B&O Railroad Museum

Pete,

Thanks for posting the pictures. They are excellent. I have found that one of the things that makes the museum special are the volunteers. They are friendly, have a wealth of knowledge, and are willing to share it at great length if you are a railfan or a youngster seeing a steam engine for the first time.

Mike

·
Registered
938 Posts
Great pictures. That looks like one place that is a must see. :)

Wow, note the steam loco with the highly canted drivers! That dates just how early in the steam development that engine was. There must not be many like that still in existence.

Thanks for sharing.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

the steam loco with the highly canted drivers

Raymond - you lost me with that one... Did you mean canted cylinders? If so, yes, that 0-8-0 is unique, as no other freight engine survived from that early period (1848.) The 4-2-0 is similar and is a replica of an earlier loco - and (being a replica with a welded boiler) it has a boiler certificate (pinned to the tender front!) I've had the pleasure of riding on it in steam, at the invite of a pal, and it has the most peculiar reversing mechanism.

one of the things that makes the museum special are the volunteers.

Yep. That's me 'sharing' in pic #3. I've been a volunteer for about 10 years. (Sorry - couldn't resist. ;-)

Here she is at the controls of the Allegheny

You, too, can be an engine driver!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Thanks Pete. Trains and Boats in the same day. Not bad. I haven't been to the museum since 1990. It was one of the last things I did with my dad before he died. I have some great pictures, but lots has happened since then. I must go back. Thanks again.
Paul

·
Premium Member
137 Posts

Geez Pete, no photos of the engineer? Surely an attention whore like that guy would have posed for a picture ; )

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

no photos of the engineer

May I draw your attention to photo #68 ? Don and I stood on the platform looking for the engineer to take a pic, and what did we get? A long-distance shot of the cab, as you had an extra 'party' coach that day and never came near the platform...

http://dondement.smugmug.com/gallery/5551629_AWkHk#340411174_KZiN3

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Pete,

I think you captured the engineer's best side!

Chris, what were you doing? Oiling around?

Mark

1 - 11 of 11 Posts