G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I’m looking for a small shear, something to cut .02” or lighter brass. I have used a paper cutter, the guillotine type, but they don’t last.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Dan,
The best small benchtop type shears are DiAcro and were made in 6", 12", 18", and 24" wide models, all cast-iron and steel and all rated for 16 gauge mild steel. They now only make the 12" and 24" models. Diacro are well made tools but at one point were acquired by Houdaille and the overall quality suffered a bit. Machines from the pre- and post-Houdaille periods are the better ones. The 12" models come up for sale most often and prices for those vary between $500 and $900.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I do have a small brake, 18 inch. What do you think about this type of shear? http://grizzly.com/products/Sheet-Metal-Shears-6-/H0732
Not really knowing but what I see is not being limited to a size, you just keep cutting until the job is done, or am I wrong.

·
Administrator
5,715 Posts
Dan - I think anything from Grizzley is a crap shoot. You may get a good one and you may not. I have this one[/b][/b] from Grizzley and have had good results with it. After I ordered, the first one arrived damaged due to poor packing on Grizzley's part and I refused delivery. Grizzley refused to send out a replacement until the original damaged machine arrived back at their factory. They ultimately did replace it and the second one arrived undamaged, but the delay to my project was frustrating and I can't say I thought much of their customer service. Like I said, once I got an undamaged machine, I'v had good service from it, and it does what I want it to do. Adjustments are coarse and it certainly isn't a "precision machine" by any stretch of the imagination. But for the price, I'm happy.

However, upon my recommendation, Richard Kapuaala ordered the same machine and had all kinds of problems which I'm not sure were ever resolved to his satisfaction. Perhaps he'll post here about it. I felt bad about recommending it.

Micro-Mark and McMaster both sell shears similar to the one you are looking at. I'd buy someting from them before I'd ever buy anything else from Grizzley. MHO.

I also have the small Micro-Mark shear mentioned by Henner. Great little tool! The handle is held in place by a hollow roll pin, and I had that shear off, but was able to get a replacement from Micro-Mark. In all fairness to th tool, that was probably my fault for cutting half-hard brass bar thicker than the tool's rated capacity.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Dan,
That type of plate and rod shear does not have an easy way to set up a front or back gage. It will cut plate a lot thicker than .02 which can be handled by any hand or foot shear. If you are doing a lot of things that have to be the same width I would sugest something that can have a back gage attached with a front gage to keep the work straight with the cutter blade.

I have a 6" DiArco and it is a fine machine for model work.
Dan

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK Dwight, I get your point. As I said in the opening post I have been using a paper cutter but they don't last. It seems to me that the type of shear Old Boy & Dan R. are talking about is what I should look for. Or dump the small brake I have and get the combination unit that Henner suggested.

I can see I'm getting in deep here; I have a knee mill coming and now have to add a 220 circuit in my shop for it. I haven't even decided to attempt to build an engine. I still haven’t built my railway.

·
Administrator
5,715 Posts
Dan - McMaster has this one[/b][/b]...

It's capable of up to 0.025" brass and steel, and up to 0.050" aluminum - however it ain't cheap - $387.40.

This one would be the ultimate...

but it's over $1700.00.

In addition to the one Henner and I mentioned, Micro-Mark also has this one[/b][/b]...

It's capable of shearing through carbon steel or bar stock up to 1/4" thick x up to 5-1/2" wide.

Any of these would be a better investment in the long run over something from Grizzly imho. Like any tool, you're gong to get what you pay for, and much depends upon how much you wish to spend and how much use you expect to get from it. My experience is that buying a cheap tool always costs more in the long run because it's going to need to be replaced, usually with the good one I should have bought in the first place.

I've actually looked at shears quite a bit. They ain't cheap (at least, not for a good one). Right now, I'm lucky in that we have several shears at work including a big hydraulic sucker that will slice through a 6' width of 1/4" steel plate. However, when I retire in 4 years and move out of state, I'm going to need something for home use. Ultimately, I plan to buy the $1700.00 shear from McMaster. Right now, I have no place to put it.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
HM,

Thanks for posting the MicroMark link on that small shear/break. That's a good price for such a machine, even given the small capacity. It's on my wish list now.

Les

1 - 11 of 11 Posts