G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a Bachmann Annie. Wow, very nice model for the price. Lots of detail, runs well. The only thing I don't like is the plasticky shine it has. It there an easy way to tone that down? I'm thinking maybe spray it lightly with krylon clear matte finish. That seems a little crude though. I'm not quite ready to take it apart--a lot of parts seem ready to fall off

Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
A little krylon matt clear. Careful to mask the windows and any parts you want to leave shiny or conductive.

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
I agree Krylon Matte clear, or dullcoat spray. Another option is to try some chalks, especially if you are interested in weathering it. If so I like Bragdon.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
I concur with the dullcoat. But another option I like is Future floor wax (YES floor wax from the grocery store) mixed between 3:1 or 10:1 with Tamaya flat. The more flat to Future the less shine. the 1 part flat to 10 parts Future gives a great satin finish that to me looks like a "scale" fresh finish. It is water soluble, easy to spray with an airbursh (yah doesn't come in a can) and clean up and mistakes can be removed with Windex.

Try it--I love it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Dull coat is wonderful stuff. Chalks are too. In books, I've always found freshly painted trains to look very odd. In particular, there is a photo in one of the Color Photography of the Nickel Plate Road books with a freshly painted Bluebird...and it looks so toy like sitting outside of the shops.

I'll have to check out Bragdon's powders.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts