G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Aristo Mikado with PRR markings. I want to make it a bit more prototypical--i can't manage the PRR firebox, at least not yet, and there are some other details that I'm not sure could be accomplished, but I wanted to at least move the headlight and add a number plate

The Aristo ships as number 633 and I actually found a picture of number 633 on the web.

Any tips on making the number plate? It seems like a pretty challenging job, because it's such a prominent piece--has to be dead round, has to have dimension, etc.  Any tips on making one?

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
How about buying one:

Trackside details sells a plain round number plate - the pic comes from their website: www.tracksidedetails.com/index.html.  There are several sizes - this is the small one.  They aren't all on the same page, so you have to dig around a bit!

They also sell numbers to solder/glue onto the plate.

This is TD-198.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Ozark also has some in white metal although I think the ones suggested by Pete would most likely be best for your purpose.

As to making one in case you can't find a suitable size commercially: If you can find some solid rod the right size in either plastic or brass you can simply cut off a slice on a bandsaw or even a very small miniature table saw. Set the rod in a "V" shaped length of wood and cut through rod, wood and all for the slice. The number could be done with decals. The ridge around the round number plate could be made by wrapping and gluing a piece of styrene strip around the plate"s periphery. Would be very solid if plastic is used for the plate as well. TAP Plastics sells both plastic rod in various sizes and plastic glue.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Robert Dustin (used to make decals) does custom number plates.  I'm pretty sure he can make one with the numbers you want already on it and most likely in what ever scale you'd need.  I also believe he has several styles and maybe even a Pennsy Keystone style, although that's not the type in the picture you posted.

Lost my catalog at the moment, but I believe his contact information is still:

Robert Dustin Decals and Plates
P.O. Box 77
Thompson, CT 06277 

Phone: (860) 923-0174
Email: [email protected]

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all this is very helpful. I'll call Robert Dustin and Trackside Details

Richard, I find the TAP plastics website really confusing. I want styrene, but the website only shows clear acrylic. I assume acrylic is not styrene?

·
Senior JOAT
736 Posts
I've got a couple of these if you'd like them.   The small one is 16mm diameter, the larger one is 18m.   Drop on by...

Crud...somewhere I have some numbers as well...just don't know where right now

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Posted By lownote on 02/14/2008 3:34 PM

Richard, I find the TAP plastics website really confusing. I want styrene, but the website only shows clear acrylic. I assume acrylic is not styrene?

Acrylic will work just fine. That's what I use. The rod is available in many colors as well as clear. TAP's #16 cement should glue styrene to acrylic without any problem. TAP does have styrene sheet. 

If you're going to mail order from TAP then look up their San Leandro, California store. The manager, Russ Miller, is a garden railroader and will understand what you want to do and direct you to the best possible combination of materials and glue. Give him a call.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts