G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have good tips for gluing a vertical post to a side sill. End grain on a post is always a problem and I have 13 to do. First trial attempt failed. I have thought of gussets but these will cause interference with box that the post/side sill goes around. Notching the side sill is out, posts would be too short and not per the prototype

Any ideas would be appreciated

Thanks

Dave

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
In situations like that I have used short pieces of brass rod as a pin, drilled up in the center of the post and drilled into the sill. This also gives horizontal strength to the joint.
Rick

·
Registered
554 Posts
I'm assuming that this is for outdoors, correct?

If so, given the small surface areas involved I doubt that any glue will hold over the long term. Perhaps something that is polyurethane based like Gorilla Glue as it is a bit flexible and I believe UV stabilized.

I'd recommend that you consider also pining with either the small brass rod as suggested or use a 23ga pin nailer

·
Registered
681 Posts
Loggerhead,

dampen both the end grain and the area of the 'T' joint, apply the Groilla Glue to the end grain side of the joint. Assemble in a fixture, and then pin nail with a single 23 gauge pin to maintain alignment until the glue sets. This is the process I use, and others that typically build in wood for outdoor use..

Bob C.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts