G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that the bug has bitten and the train poison is flowing in my viens again, it's time to begin another real cool project.
The task at hand for now is locating the base model to use as a platform and detail parts to build it.
When I start the project, I will start a thread in the kitbashing forum and run the step by step progress report.
Also, this loco will be set up strictly for battery power because it will be way too large to run here on the tiny home layout.
The project I speak of will be the grand iron ore hauler in the forum of a Great Northern Q-2 class 2-10-2.

But first I need help finding the parts I can't find locally or from my on-line dealers.

First off, I need to find one Aristo GN Mikado. Either RN will work.

Next I will need to find Bachman cab interiors details such as the valves, piping glass, etc.
I also need at least one of the boiler cab face plates with the opening firebox door.

I may need to find one or most of the drive to a Aristo Mikado with one good axle, wheels,
gearbox and connecting drive rod to other gear boxes. I will need the housing as well.

I will need details(if Aristo doesn't have them) from off of a Aristo Mallet.
What I need here is 2 of the sanding dome caps, and the cast brass piping from just forward of the cab
plus the metal piping just under the cab.

I may need more parts as well, but these are a MUST to build the loco.
I'm trying to avoid buying and gutting a new Mallet, this ran the price tag of the P-2 mountain build over $1500.

So for now, I'm just putting out the feelers to find these parts and loco to use as a base to build off of.
I'd like to keep the price to build under a thousand dollars.

Thanks for the help !!!
Rocky

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Rocky,
I don't have any idea how big a GN 2-10-2 was, but I might suggest using an Aristo mallet as the basis
for Ur 2-10-2... If its anything like the "Big 6", S1a that the B&O had, the mike boiler will be way too
small anyway... I used the mallet when I did my Big 6 a while back, worked out fine too, shortened
the boiler about an 1 3/4 inch as I recall... Posted a couple of write ups on it over on the Aristo
kit-bash forum a while back, think they were titled " The Big 6 project" or something close...
Paul R...

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Paul,

Did you have that one running at the ECLSTS last year? Sure was a beast! But a really nice beast!

Rocky- I think that's the one I was talking about in my PM to you.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Mark,
Yep, thats the one alright, had it double-headed with a B&O EL2 Mallet... BTW, we'll have the
big WM Northern that we just finished up at York next year, it was also created from a mallet..
Paul R...

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
I'll be watching this to see how you get it around your 5 foot diameter curves

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Vic,

That's the easy part: 6 blind drivers and rubber bands attached to the lead and trailing trucks!

Mark

·
Premium Member
5,623 Posts
Sounds like he will be running on a club RR. Keep us posted Rocky. Later RJD

1 - 8 of 8 Posts