G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to make an odd-radiused curve for my layout, so I took apart some extra straight Aristocraft 5 foot track and bent it on a railbender. The first curves came out quite nicely after I remembered to cut the outer tie strips to allow bending but, of course, the itty bitty screws that hold the ties to the track don't line up. Must these scews be used? Other than creating that odd looking gap between tie sections, do they have any purpose? I would have thought that, once ballasted, the ties would not move much, if at all. Assuming they are necessary, can I use dabs of RTV under the ties to stick the ties to the track? Thanks.

RB Whale

·
Premium Member
Getting our home built so maybe we can start playing with trains again!
263 Posts
Other than securing the track to the ties (or the ties to the track.....) There is no other use that I can think of. As far as the necessity of them being there? I have several pieces of track that these have been remove and have no isses. Well really no issues until I take that piece of track out and if I forget where the ones with missing screws are (often) I loose a rail and have to re-thread it through things but that's it.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
I believe most folks remove the screws from the ties when bending track. Some just remove the screws from the outside of the bends. I'm in an area where it gets really hot and my track is in direct sun most of the day and I get a LOT of rail expansion,I have about an 80 foot straight run that I put a number of gentle curves in so the bends would absorb the expansion. I just removed all the screws and let the rails "float" in the plastic "clamps" cast into the ties. I let the track just "float" in the ballast so everything is free to move a bit with temperature changes. Track on this section has been down a year now and seems to be doing just fine. I'm using Hillman rail clamps on all the joints. I have a few places where the ballast tends to wash out and just tie the ballast down with some diluted Tite Bond III glue to hold the ballast in place.

Hope this is some help to you with your construction. Best Wishes

Joe Mc

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
I never use the screws to connect my Aristo Track. I just push the rail joiners together.

I have never had a problem with derailments due to track coming apart.

But then I really don't know what I am doing anyway.

John

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Posted By jbwilcox on 09/26/2008 11:41 PM
I never use the screws to connect my Aristo Track. I just push the rail joiners together.

I have never had a problem with derailments due to track coming apart.

But then I really don't know what I am doing anyway.

John

Gee John, you could be a politician!

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
LGB does not use screws on their straights or curves..

I have used LGB flex track which has no provision for screws on the bottom.

No problems with my LGB screwless flex track outdoors for 6 years, but I do install hillmans rail clamps.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Most people use more colorful language to describe those screws :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts