G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have some random projects going on and most of them aren't complete enough for their own topic so I'm just going to toss them all into one thread for the time being. If there's any interest in any go ahead and ask and I'll go into more detail about them.

First up is Mike Peterlin's Shay. He's got the electric water pump wth detector working good now. The engine also has a new lubricator setup and a water gauge.

A Marklin boiler with leaky cross tubes. Interesting to see that it's made of brass. The heat exchanger rings are pretty neat too.

First attempts at switch building. This has definatly been an experience.

Boiler for an Accucraft American. Got this far and may change my mind on the design yet. Got put on the back burner real quick.

Duplex pump made with 1/2" Ruby cylinders and stock Ruby cylinders. I think that I have the valve gear worked out just have to build it.

Figured out that I can use my pickling solution plus a little electricity to etch copper. Brass is the next to try and if that works I'm going to see if I can make up some number or builders plates.

And last is a combination. Started accumulating parts for a far and away Big Boy project. So far I've got a tender, one set of cylinders and trucks. The silver barrel is an exhaust pipe mockup boiler.

The boiler is a pretty simple mockup to see if oil firing with a regular jet nozzle would be possible.

Here's the "boiler" with the burner in place.

The testing went ok, but I didn't get the performance that I wanted. Still need to look at the burner design to see if I can scale it down any.
High-Tech test setup.

A bit more flame than I wanted in places I didn't want it...

Anybody else have any little projects but don't want to start a whole thread about them? Post 'em up here!

·
Registered
145 Posts
RE: This & That (Lotsa pics)

Justih
What is the make of the bigboy tendor, frame, etc?
What are the tubes that are comeing out of the back of the shay?
MAtt

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Matt,
The tender is accucraft. The frame is an Accucraft GS4 frame. FOr the shay, one of the tubes is for gas (he has agastank in a car behind the engine) and the other is for water (which is also in the car behind the engine).

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
Hey Dave, I am so jealous over guys like you, Dwight, etc,. You are not afraid to jump right into a project. All I can say is your stuff looks great. Don't get so many projects going that you will not be able to finnish them. We want to see them. :)

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Something that may work better than pickling solution for etching brass is the Radio Shack circuit board etching package. It includes the etching solution as well as other materials (Sharpie Pen) to help with the process. I used it to etch a smokebox number board for my C&O Kanawha conversion of the Aster Berkshire. You use rub-on letters and a Sharpie pen to block the areas that you don't want etched. Drop the piece into the solution and be patient. I left the brass in the solution for several hours. Pull it out and wash off the etching solution. Then clean off the Sharpie pen marks and the rub-on lettering with a solvent like lacquer thinner and voila!

Ross Schlabach

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Posted By Slipped Eccentric on 08/18/2008 9:43 PM
Hi Matt,
The tender is accucraft. The frame is an Accucraft GS4 frame. FOr the shay, one of the tubes is for gas (he has agastank in a car behind the engine) and the other is for water (which is also in the car behind the engine).

Dear Mr Eccentric - may I ask what you did with the unwanted bits of the GS-4? That could end up being a VERY expensive project....even for a Big Boy.

tac

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the kind words guys. I already have too many projects though, but I get bored easily if I don't have enough to jump back and forth with.
RP3, I've heard about the etching solution and may try that if this method doesn't work on brass. I stumbled onto this method and it seems to work ok, it ony takes about 20-30 minutes to etch deep enough to fill with paint.
Tac, what you see is what I bought. I couldn't afford to buy a whole engine just to scrap for a few parts, and if I could I'd probably just look for an Aster.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
RE: This & That (Lotsa pics)

Justin

I have drawings of some Duplex pumps....The simple valve control on the steam side is a threaded piston rod that had 2 tabs that switch the valve back and fourth. The thread gives you timing but it all happens pretty fast from videos and not the slower pump you get from a rotary valve. In which I have pump drawings with rotary valves too. Most are 1:8 scale No complety sure that the rotart valve can completly be scaled down to G1 Maybe for the larger stuff like Stans LBSC design locos or the Garrett. Be neat sitting on the running board.

On the shay did you solder in bushings? I guess you used your extra glass from the mogul parts order huh....

Looking pretty good though...

So what are you going to build the 2.5" scale Shay I have complete drawings for and all from bar stock.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jay
I have linkages worked out to drive the valves from a coupler on the piston rods, just not built yet. I also have drawings of the VanBrocklin 3/4" scale duplex pump, but it would probably be difficult to make it any smaller. I'd love to build a 2.5" scale shay, but I have enough ride-on projects at the moment, lol. Mike ordered his own glass, I beleive it was one of the last ones that Sulphur Springs had. Wanted to solder in bushings but we're trying it without first to see how well it holds up. Seems OK so far but we'll see...

·
Registered
966 Posts
Hi Justin,
looks kind of like my workshop! Some neat projects! Speaking of boilers: I once built a real locomotive type boiler with very disappointing results. A simple pot boiler from my son's ship was much more powerful. I think the secret in boiler design is to surround the primary flame by water cooled walls. This is why single flue or pot boilers work pretty well. In your test boiler the tubes are the primary heat transfer area.
Regards

1 - 12 of 12 Posts