G Scale Model Train Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Posted By lownote on 05/03/2009 2:47 PM
{snip}[/i] and the internet was invented to research nuclear physics/nuclear defense, not space exploration--although NASA did get involved later {snip...}[/i]
Mr. O'Malley

Mr. Gore isn't going to be happy about someone else getting all the credit, for that which he invented.

·
Registered
87 Posts
6 years ago when I retired from Verizon's wireline entitiy as a wholesale product group manager for Network private Lines, (meaning AT&T, MCI, Sprint, and other LD and internet companies were my customers), the primary/long haul network band width was plentiful in major city to city routes (top 125 to 200), and probably still is. Get off those routes and into the cities and country side you find a real mixed bag. (I doubt the town I live in today has a copper T1 in it, let alone the capability for a glass DS3.)

However the gateways between internet networks were and may still be a significant problem. They are traffic cops, the servers that route your traffic from my little podunk network to your big or little net work, and as the size of the messages (meaning the increasing number of video/multi-megabit pictures and audio files) continues to grow they will reach their processing capacity and need to be augmented/upgraded/replaced at some cost.

If there is a choke point it'll probably be at the local internet provider's network and servers or as said before the gateways between networks, not in the basic back bone network. One of my son in law's parents have a wireless (MMDS radio) internet provider who's gateway is set up so that it will not pass a file attachment greater than 3.5Mb so I can't forward a high res or multiple low res pictures. Which I guess is one way to limit bandwidth and the individual utilization of scarce resources allowing more customers to have a mediocre experience. I think its stupid in the long run, but small companies are cash strapped.

Increased bandwidth at the home is only making the issue come faster,.... the internet is not free ...is not an entitlement,...and is a baseline business for this country and the world. Somebody's got to pay for the capability/capacity and in the long run it will be the consumer. Either directly to network providers, or thru higher costs of products via a trickle down of higher ad or hosting costs and maybe something like prioritized response times. Buying something may be differentially treated with better response times than that of IM'ing your grandkids.

Oh yeah if I remember correctly there were three primary gateways between all of the networks in the US and out to the world in '03. I don't know if that's changed, but I'd say it's unlikely because they were in places where the all the major fiber optic networks came resonably close together and had point of presence to allow reasonably economic access and interconnection to the rest of the world via undersea cables like Miami, NYC, and LA and that is where they still are.

Mark

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
I think all the soon to be millions of twits "twittering" that they've just finish taking a shower, or that they just buttered their toast, or that they just missed their train, are going to so clog up the ether with their stupid & inanely mindless chatter, maybe just such an information shutdown might be a good jolt to the system... ;)

21 - 23 of 23 Posts