G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Hello There was also one on marthas vineyard that hauled passengers from the ferry landing to area towns and beaches. If you ride the steamship ferry walk around the boat and you will see posters with historic themes and a couple of em have pictures and a short story about the train. That's how I found out about it. In front of the black dog bakery on state road in Tisbury is an old passenger car that I had always wondered how it got to the island.
Todd

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Thanks
for posting that video link, Matthew!
I'm hoping to get out to Nantucket some time this coming summer for some biking (I believe some of the former Nantucket Railroad roadbeds are now bike paths - & I bike a lot for exercise!
). From what I've read of the Nantucket Railroad history though, the "buried locomotive" was not the "Dionis", but a later 4-4-0 (also numbered "1") purchased second-hand from the Boston, Revere Beach & Lynn 3-foot gauge commuter line near Boston. My girlfriend
is into metal detectors & wants to bring one out there (looking for coins & jewelry) - I wonder how far a buried steam loco would "peg the needle"
Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts