G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By noon, it was 65° here on the edge of the Shenandoah Valley and the sun was shining. So off to the track I went leaving all my chores aside. I made a video of the first of my three runs which you may enjoy at:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihD_JTB6Jco&feature=user

It was the Weltyk, two-chime, frame mount whistle that beckoned the neighbors.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
That was fun to watch, Carl.  I'm jealous.  My track is not apt to be out from under the snow and ice until sometime in April.

Llyn

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Great Video Carl!
As with Lyn we'll be under snow for a while yet here in western NY. I'm looking forward to Accucraft's EBT Mikado #12, slightly smaller than your K-27, and the train of early EBT stock it will be able to haul. For now my C-16 converted to EBT #7 will have to suffice.
have fun,
Tom

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Great video Carl.  Really enjoyed it.  Whistle sounded great also.

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Carl,

Thanks! There was even one point toward the end of the video where there was a Doppler effect on the whistle!

What can you tell me about the duckbill combine. It adds a great touch.

Best regards,

Alan

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All, 
Thanks for the nice complements about my video. 

Tac,
Happy birthday TAC and I suppose it's nice to be old enough now to have a beer in celebraton, right?

Alan,
The combine is out of scale (probably 1:22.5), but looks good with the freight cars. It's a very old wooden kit car (can't remember whose) that I put a spedometer into (you can see it in window #4). DJB transfers top it off.

Mike,
The whistle control is a Spectrum mini servo in the right rear cab window. I use the gear channel (5) to control it. You can see the whistle valve just above and to the left of the servo. Sorry the picture is not in focus, but it gives you the idea.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks for posting this video.  It gave me the motivation to get outside right after watching it and boil some water.  I was thinking during the video that you have a nice track but to me its just not the same as seeing an engine running in a garden - it just looks more "real" in the garden.  Then... I went outside to find more landslides on my line, more uneven track and areas where one rail has sunk way down into the dirt.  Then I realized why you guys like running your engines on top of fences/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue2.gif  I did get everything cleared and ran a few laps around the line but I totally understand how much easier it must be on a raised track! (maybe my next one will be raised - at least part of it) 
It was a nice way to spend the afternoon, thanks for the motivation!  Sadly the snow comes back tomorrow.
Matt

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Posted By leftyfretguy on 03/03/2008 7:16 PM...I realized why you guys like running your engines on top of fences...I totally understand how much easier it must be on a raised track! (maybe my next one will be raised - at least part of it) Matt

Not all of us who run trains on fences are paid-up and past-it old farts /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue2.gif

I prefer some height to my track for a number of reasons, but prime are long-ago injuries in a tanking accident that left me in a wheelchair for a while, and the fact that our daughter, a great fan of trains when she lived at home, was permanently in a wheelchair anyhow, and found that trying to place anything on a ground level track was nigh-on impossible.

That plus the simple fact of bending down with a thirty-pound+ loco and wiggling thirty-two invisible wheels around until they fit can get pretty frustrating...
Dont worry, live long enough and you'll be happy to do it. ;)  

Best wishes

tac
www.ovgrs.org

1 - 13 of 13 Posts