G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what types of locomotives were used in the 1964 movie "The Train" with Burt Lancaster?:confused:

Dave Young
Santa Fe, Texas

·
Registered
301 Posts
Dave-

Here are two links to discussions, and a third link to a site that has stills from the film. (You can paste the URLs.)

I don't recognize the locomotives.

They appear to be a prewar design and are almost certainly French (in my view) as the filming took place in outside of Paris in the late 1960s.

cheers

TUL
'

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
Here is the link to the train crash in the movie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmsxtErEVrw
Hope you can find out what engine it is.
One of the comments on the film was that it had to be a French Loco since the film was done in France and during the war the action itself took place there. Hope this helps you Dave the "Coal"
man.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Posted By Dave -- Use Coal on 05/09/2008 10:28 AM
Can anyone tell me what types of locomotives were used in the 1964 movie "The Train" with Burt Lancaster?:confused:" border=0>
Dave Young
Santa Fe, Texas

Steam :D

·
Registered
308 Posts
RE: "The Train" Locomotives

Looking at a still on the U tube just before the crash ..230B you can see two tail rods below the smokebox and out side cylinders as well so: a 4 cylinder compound,, the "Crampton" steam pipes to the outside High pressure cylinders are there[but look to be without casings. insulation is visible.] cab style and front window shades . 6wheel tender..and two reach rods to the independent high and low pressure valve gears, on the left hand side. most likely a "Est" 4-6-0 mixed traffic built 1901-1912 and in her very final days in 1964!

The loco it hits is avery! old 0-6-0 dating from the 1880s outside cylinders and Stephenson gear as well..France and spain had these in numbers and some lasted a very long time, pottering about in yards.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a DVD copy of the movie. I will take a look to see if it has a copy of the trailer included.

If I read the information in the chart correctly, the engine is the French version of the Prussian P8. Does anyone know if I read this chart correctly?

Dave

·
Registered
308 Posts
RE: "The Train" Locomotives

Dave,
The Prussian P8 was a 2 cylinder Simple designed by Garbe. the Est where 4 cylinder Compunds designed by Salomon, but designed for similar duties..two more diffrent designs would be hard to find! if the chart state that, then its an error.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts