G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In with the New Year comes new a new locomotive from The Train Dept and Bowande. A small 1/20.3 45mm gauge Baldwin engine Class 6-10D 0-6-0 in both a 1884 Olive Green lined livery and a post 1900 Black livery. This will be available in both a Tender version or a Saddle tank in both of the optional liveries. Of course I teamed up with a early locomotive historian that really knows early locomotive designs and it sure shows. A first of their kind, Bowande built 1/20.3 scale accurate model of the Baldwin 0-6-0 Class 6-10D. A perfect sized model for the smaller garden railway or for someone looking for one that's easy to manage and transport. Full CAD profiles and detail drawings were developed from original Baldwin works drawings sheets and used for the development of the model by Bowande. This creates a streamlined development and ensures the detail accuracy on the model.

General specifications are pretty standard for most of the Bowande line.

Efficient Slide valve cylinders with a 1/2” bore with a full working Stephenson valve gear for reduced steam consumption. Butane fired ceramic burner in a sealed locomotive firebox needing no draft to run and is silent in operation. A high level of detail and fidelity to the prototype. The use of brass etchings for bodywork offer a durable and easy to work with model for any user modifications. Fully bushed chassis and rods. High level of detail and attention to detail throughout the model. The fuel tank is mounted in the cab saving the tender for R/C gear.

Standard boiler fittings include a 60psi pop safety valve, sight glass, internal throttle with a dry pipe in the dome and a goodall valve as standard along with a 1/2” pressure gauge. Lubricator is a dead leg style mounted in the cab for easy access. In the cab is the over sized fuel tank for a long duration runtime maintained by the goodall valve and the sightglass.

The models are available for reservation from today 1/1/21 and the production is scheduled for mid 2021 with a prototype looking to arrive around March.

Pricing is set at $2550.00 for the tender version and $2350.00 for the Saddletank version. Both liveries are the same pricing as Bowande does not upcharge for the added paint/lining, its all part of the package.

The tender will be available as a separate purchase for existing models in a black paint only for $425.00

A little back story to these small engines. These were catalog models and were standard designs for order to Baldwin to many different railroads. One that caught my eye was “Chas Kohler” Construction number 7362 ordered June 1884. Built for Challenge Mills in Yuba County California, it was their first locomotive and was used to haul flat cars of slab lumber and logs. The total railway length was a mere 6 miles by the end. Due to a wildfire in 1886 much of the mill and railway of the Challenge Mills were destroyed, the right of way and cuts and trestle remains can still be found today. Extensions to his other mills, Beanville Mill and Indian Creek continued on though the years. At one point the locomotive was used for a people excursion for a July 4th celebration in 1886.

Item numbers for ordering

GS43-STG Baldwin 6-10D Saddletank Olive Green 45mm gauge $2350.00

GS43-STB Baldwin 6-10D Saddletank Black 45mm gauge $2350.00

GS43-TG Baldwin 6-10D Tender engine Olive Green 45mm gauge $2550.00

GS43-TB Baldwin 6-10D Tender engine Black 45mm gauge $2550.00

GS43-Tender Baldwin Tender 2 axle with link and pin coupler $425.00

Color CAD renderings are not actual Baldwin colors shown these are for style reference only. Actual colors are well known and proven Baldwin color spec as I have used on previous Baldwin models with Accucraft. Anyone that knows the work I put out knows I don't take shortcuts and expect it to be the best it can be.

4-1.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A couple people asked me about the tender, the =tender is open inside and able to be used for RC gear and/or a hand pump. As the tender is also available as a separate item you can use of for any existing engine too. It use a standard drawbar mount from the locomotive. It will be available in a prepainted black livery with mineral brown deck and tender top.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts