G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm not all that active on this part of MLS, due to my live steamer being out of service for several years.  I have finally started down the path of resurrecting my roundhouse liberty belle, and to that end, recently got a new left hand side cylinder chest.  I had to remove the old cylidner's piston, cover, etc.. to put on the new cylinder.  When I pulled the piston out of the cylinder, there was a major deposit of steam oil that looked like petroleum jelly.  Must have been at least 1/8" thick on both sides of the piston and on the inside of the cylinder covers.   Maybe this is why I was having such difficulties getting the engine to run when I had the safety lifting last time she steamed up (July 2005).  Anyway, I cleaned off all the gunk with a paper towel, and installed in the new cylinder.  Then I got to thinking that I should have coated the inside of the new cylinder with some steam oil.  Since the piston is still not attached to the crosshead guide,  this will be an easy task.  I also replaced all the seals, and have enough to do the other side as well. I imagine there's an equal amount of gunk in that cylinder as well. 

Also of note, Roundhouse had originally attached the cylinders to the frame using slotted head screws.  Not very easy to tighten when all the steam lines are in place. They sent me some socket head cap screws which are the exact same hex head size as the Aristo track tool.  I had to chop down one of the Aristo allen drivers, but it worked fine!  

Thought I would pass along this experience with the gunk to you guys, in case you are having similar problems! 

Mark

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Let us know how she runs with the new cylinders.  Also pictures would be great.  Have fun./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chooch,

I will!  It's only the one side I am changing.  The other side should be OK.  I screwed up the threads that hold the slide valve to the cylinder and that meant new cylinder.  

I didn't throw out the paper towel I used, yet, so you guys can see it.  For a reference, it reminds me a lot of some of the diapers I have been changing lately. Kinda greenish. But not as stinky.

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dwight,

I meant that the cylinder threads should be OK.  I am certain that there's gunk in the other cylinder.  I was going to clean it out last night, but as I was attempting to install the left cylinder,  I realized that the steam feed pipe is a little too long and will need to be shortened.  Otherwise, it hits the other side and doesn't allow everything to go back square.  It was late and I didn't want to start tearing it apart at 11 pm.  I was ready to take pics of the gunk to show the class.

Chuck and Mikey - you're all just jealous that my hat looks like an extension of my head!!  (i'm not sure what that means...)

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Posted By Tom Bowdler on 02/14/2008 5:14 PM
Do you two guys use the same hat maker?
Tom

Tom,
  Are you asking because you would like one?  I can try to order one for you, but they are VERY EXPENSIVE and a limited quantity.

Chuck and Mike,
  Just can't help you if you have bad taste.  /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/laugh.gif (just kidding of course)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts