G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Whilst wandering through the web I came across the site of the Nevada State Railroad Museum at Carson, Nevada.

They have  a series of downloadable  PDF's; of their newsletters; and in that, since Fall 2006, there has been a series of articles by Dan Markhoff (with illustrations) on the tale of his Baldwin 4 4 0  - Eureka. 

That first issue is at      http://www.nsrm-friends.org/spr06.pdf

the series gets interesting in the next issue which can be found at the index page at   ' http://dmla.clan.lib.nv.us/docs/dca/newsletters/rr.htm'

Have a look and enjoy; no connection with them, I live thousands of miles away in England!!

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I've talked to Mr Markoff a couple times on the Narrow Gauge Discussion Forum. He's a real nice fellow. He's currently building a matching period wood coach from scratch IIRC

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Peter;

Good documentation. You should have been at the Garden Railway convention in Las Vegas last year. Mr. Markhoff gave a 2 hour PowerPoint presentation on the complete restoration of the Eureka. Prior to that I had the honor and opportunity to sit in the engineer's seat while the Eureka was steamed up in Silverton, CO at RailFest 2006. This engine is the epitome of all early locomotives. Mr. Markhoff has an engine house where most folks would have a garage next to the house. I bought the Bachmann model of this loco. It is the type of loco that ran through my house & backyard, 120 years ago. That loco is the Bachmann B&L RR (Baltimore & Lehigh RR.). I am truly possessed by the RR; especially the early days.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Thanks, Peter, for the reference. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif 

I read all of the articles, and can hardly wait to see the next installment.  I've yet to see the locomotive "in person", but do have the Bachmann model, and it draws a lot of "Ooh's and Ahh's" on open days.  After having read the story of what it took to resurrect that beauty, I can enjoy the model even more.:D

Ed

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Thanks for posting the links!

I had no idea about the restoration of that locomotive.  What a feat!

Mark

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
I too, was lucky enough to spend a few moments in the cab when the EUREKA visited the "06 Railfest, as well as ride behind her!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/wow.gif  And Markhoff's presentation is not to be missed!  If he gives it again at some future convention, be sure to sign up for it!

Peter,  I looked at that 2nd reference of yours,  http://dmla.clan.lib.nv.us/docs/dca/newsletters/rr.htm , and browsing through it, I discovered that there are THREE episodes of Markhoff's tale so far -- first in the Spring "07 issue, second is in the SUMMER issue, and the third installment is in the Fall issue.

EDIT - Well, I thought I'd read somebody to the effect that there were two chapters so far, which is the whole reason I posted this.  But upon re-reading, I don't see that.  So I'd delete this entire durned message, but I can't find a button to do so in this new message editor. (Ued to be you could if you did it within 24 hours)  Is there such a button anymore?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts