G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, to recap my thread from the archives...

I am attempting to build a 1:24 version of the former GM&O / ICG / IC depot at Sparta illinois. Currently it appears as thus..

I started out by crafting the walls out of 3/8" birch veneer ply and drawing on the window and door placements..

Once I routed the windows and doors out, I Gorilla Glued and pin nailed the "box" together.

OK, now current update..

Over the New Years weekend I managed to cut two of the roof suports and place them in the base structure.

I also chamfered the roof edges and set the basic roof in place, just to get a look at  the overall size and configuration.

Next steps will be to cut the roof pieces to length and structure the "barn roof" ends. That'll be a challenge. I need at least two more roof supports and the end pieces as well. I'll alos need to pick up a piede of 1/4" plexi to fabricate doors and windows out of.

Still lots to do, just thought I'd bring this topic back to life in the new forum.

·
Registered
39 Posts
What I did was copy the location listed under properties when you right click the image on your photo hosting site, and put the img tags around it.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Dave this should get you going
Posted By Dave F on 01/02/2008 9:51 AM

OK, to recap my thread from the archives...

I am attempting to build a 1:24 version of the former GM&O / ICG / IC depot at Sparta illinois. Currently it appears as thus..

I started out by crafting the walls out of 3/8" birch veneer ply and drawing on the window and door placements..

Once I routed the windows and doors out, I Gorilla Glued and pin nailed the "box" together.

OK, now current update..

Over the New Years weekend I managed to cut two of the roof suports and place them in the base structure.

I also chamfered the roof edges and set the basic roof in place, just to get a look at  the overall size and configuration.

Next steps will be to cut the roof pieces to length and structure the "barn roof" ends. That'll be a challenge. I need at least two more roof supports and the end pieces as well. I'll alos need to pick up a piede of 1/4" plexi to fabricate doors and windows out of.

Still lots to do, just thought I'd bring this topic back to life in the new forum.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Knew you would get it Dave. When I originally fixed the links so they'd work, I did it using HTML in the 'Source' code window manually cause I hadn't yet figured how to get it to work the other way either and I figured you'd really rather not have that long explanation. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crazy.gif:D

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Dave F,
Are you from Illinois? I see ICG unit on your site etc. I live about 70 miles from Sparta.

Gooday

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I grew up in Carterville, My dad was the Division Engineer of the ICG/IC StLouis Division. His office was in Carbondale..
You guys are in Cobden or Anna aren't you?  I think I swapped a message or two with your wife.

I've been looking to buy some property in the area for retirement. Still quite a few years down the road though.

·
Registered
128 Posts
 That depot is looking good.  Keep us posted as construction continues.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts