G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,811 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,811 Posts
Is this engine still commercially available, in something near unto 20.3?

Les,

This is a standard gauge engine, so if it was 1:20.3 scale, it would need 70 mm std gauge track. For our 'large scale', gauge-1, 45mm track it ought to be nearer 1:32nd scale. Here's a 3 1/2" gauge model that must be about 1:16th scale: PPS Steam Models Second Hand Page.

OcCre's model is 1:24th, which makes it a bit bigger than scale, is said to be for 45mm track, and comes with a motorisation kit.
See http://www.occre.com/index.php?option=com_productos&task=showProduct&idproducto=95

Historicships.com in Florida sells it. See http://www.historicships.com/MiscItems/RocketLocomotive/RocketLocomotive.htm
This Euro site has a bunch of photos of it under construction - neat! Guinea Hobbies, Vizcaya, Spain.

·
Premium Member
6,811 Posts
This is supposed to be a rather expensive commercial SCALE model, not something some guy kludged together in his basement,

Mik,
I think you are expecting a bit more than OcCre intend. For a start, I don't think $140 is 'rather expensive' for such a model - a couple of freight cars will cost you that much. It's just a wooden kit. The 'scale' bit is also dubious, as a 45mm gauge model of a standard gauge engine in 1/24th scale is a bit suspect.

And the reversed photo is typical of a small 'craft' shop that doesn't employ a marketing department. We're lucky they have a website with pictures!

·
Premium Member
6,811 Posts
the motor unit for that engine is another $90

Les,
One of the vendors indicated it wasn't worth it and they weren't stocking it - I have no personal experience. However, the 'motorisation kit' always costs twice as much as the original static model. (I used to motorize the old Rivarossi O scale kits.)

I guess it depends on where you're from.

Mik, I guess it does, and gentlemen can always agree to disagree, right? I usually take the attitude that a model out of the mainstream (I think you'd agree that this spanish-made wooden model fits that description) will cost a little more.

Incidentally, the quoted Euro prices include 15% VAT (16% in Spain.) For export, you can pay less - but more shipping.

what with the Universal Health Care scheme

Les - you trying to start a whole new argument ???

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.