G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
That is a true masterpiece Dwight.  A real labour of love as they say.

What a curious (to my eyes) prototype.  I am sure many of us would appreciate some  information about the prototype and which RR it ran upon.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
I'm duly impressed Dwight. A year ago I had some small doubts when you started, but you have more than proved them wrong. Since you are hooked what's going to be the next project?

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
Excellent work! The only thing I see missing is the whistle. How did you do your rivets?

·
Administrator
5,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the nice comments!!
What a curious (to my eyes) prototype.  I am sure many of us would appreciate some  information about the prototype and which RR it ran upon.
She was indeed unique.  I've posted everything I know about the prototype, as well as new information learned along the way, in my Builder's Log which I started in the Live Steam forum last April.  The first 10 pages are now in the Archives here, while the continuation on the new forum is here.  

Actually, I posted this particular set of photos in the Model Making forum specifically because I know many (most) who don't run live steam never go to that forum and as a result, never see these builder's logs.  You should also check out Redbeard's Mason Bogie log, Henner's Betsy log, Howard Maculsay's Climax log, and several others scattered throughout the live steam forum.  There's some great models being scratchbuilt that you're missing out on.  :)

Since you are hooked what's going to be the next project?
Perhaps a ride-behind Heisler or Climax.  :D  It'll be a while though.  I still have a whole load of projects ahead of that.

Dang I never noticed, the proto had no sanddomes
Originally, she was equipped with sand boxes (never did figure out where).  Later, she was fitted with a conventional sand dome.  :)

The only thing I see missing is the whistle. How did you do your rivets?
Yeah, I haven't fitted the whistle or pop valve yet, and I still have other odds and ends to make before painting her.  The smokestack spark arrestor for one.  :)

I use a Northwest Shortline Riveter to emboss my rivets.  I bought one of these terrific little tools some twenty years back during my HOn3 days.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Jeeze Dwight, In the Prototype picture the side rod crank pins are at 9 o' clock, and in your picture they are at 3 o' clock.  Until you correct this glaring issue with your photograph I will remain unimpressed;)

Just kidding-- awesome comparison!

Regards,

Eric

·
Registered
148 Posts
Don't forget the bell is ringing in the wrong position in the original picture too! Another glaring mistake./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/laugh.gif

Just SUPER Dwight!!:) I know you don't even want to think about how many hours you have put into your model, since it was a project of love. You truly have a one-of-a-kind model there, and a VERY WELL done piece of work!! It will be a standout where ever you go.

·
Vendor
3,317 Posts
Don'tcha just hate them there ribit counters.....   Stand in front of a perfectly mag-nic-i-fent model and see bird do-do rather than a wunnerful ar-tees-tic cre-a-shun in brass.  /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gif

What a wonderful model, Dwight.  Absolutley fantastic.  Fabulous....

However, I don't think the supply hose from the tender to the locomotive on the prototype was blue... :rolleyes::)

·
Registered
514 Posts
You guessed correctly Dwight, I for one rarely look at the live steam section so I missed your original post of last April.

The information there was more than interesting and gave sufficient detail to satisy my curiosity.

Many thanks.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Your model is a great match to the prototype, Dwight!  I lookforward to seeing the same shot when you finish any final details and get the engine painted up.

Llyn

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
What Bob and Eric don't understand is that when the original photo was printed the negative got flopped over and thus the print is backwards, so the rods and bell are actually aimed the right direction.

The real joke is on Dwight, since the negative was flopped over it means it was not really a cab-forward./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif

·
Administrator
5,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you gents for the kind words (and the kibitzes ;)).  In my previous reply, I forgot to mention Eric's Prize Winning Konrad Bash thread.

I'd really like to encourage you guys to poke your head into the Live Steam forum once in a while, even if you don't personally run live steam.  As I said before, there are some neat things going on that you're missing out on.  /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/wow.gif

Here are a couple of additional shots I took the same day...

These were all taken on Mark Scrivener's terrific layout btw.  :)

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Charles (Semper...)

I guess that if the negative is reversed it must mean that what Dwight really built was #12!

Dwight, great work, and great photography.

Best regards,

Alan

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
Truly a beautiful machine, Dwight!
I would really think it impressive if it was a sparky, it is amazing that it's even live steam!
I'm sure you are rightfully very proud!;)

Matt

·
Senior JOAT
736 Posts
Man, that is so impressive - especially so since you're new to machining. It must be a true delight to see that running down the track. Well done.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts