G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!
I guess it's time to put up or shut up! I would say my layout is just beginning, but it's a total state of confusion!
You see, it has been a HO and O scale layout first - barely started. It just wasn't right....
The trains weren't big enough!

Here's the very beginning...
Photo One
Photo Two
Photo Three
Photo Four
Photo Five
Even from the beginning, this didn't look right.
Photo Six
I switched to smaller HO scale, started scenery, and it still wasn't right!
Photo Seven
So, I levelled it, and started over with more styrofoam! Pretty much levelled everything and added a foam riser on top of it with gap-filling foam spray!

Yes, I know, Bachmann track! I blew $500 I couldn't afford on 3-Rail O scale track, so my budget's busted! /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crying.gif" border=0>
On the plus side, it's 6 years old, and not a trace of rust! Arizona weather!

If I were to replace it, it would be Aristo SS track. Someday!
Here's the tentative plan, but my plans are always subject to change!

It's being made in two halves, 6'X8 1/2' each, bolted together in the middle, so not only can it be moved easier, but when I get more room, I can stuff more layout in the middle! /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif" border=0>
I have decided on something else that some might thumb their noses at - Lionel Large Scale Geeps! Those unrealistic swiveling pilots make it able to easily navigate R1 curves!
At least my Aristo 0-4-0 will look right!
Images exceed 640 pixel max. width - converted to links. - Mod

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Are you planning to use the hook & loop couplers? I ask as I see a reverse S curve in the upper right that will give you trouble with any other kind of knuckle couplers. If you can add a passing siding on that long straight section across top? It will give you a place to move the engine to the other end of the train and allow better 2 train operation as you have a place to park one of them. I wonder how bachmann track can be electricly isolated though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vic, those are some very good questions!!!

I hadn't thought about couplers, except that I was maybe going to use LGB or B'mann knuckles. All couplers are truck mounted - including locos (so far!) - except one bobber caboose.

I may have to think about that one!!!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/unsure.gif

Historically, my track plans change more than summer weather in Arizona!

You're right! I would need at least one longer siding, maybe even a double-sided one.

Good food for thought!
[I hear my dad's voice in my head; "measure twice, cut once!"]

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif:D:D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A little more work for the few...
Still building my risers, using spray foam to build some slope on the sides.

Here's my solution for B'mann rail joint issues - I'm soldering 4 - pieces at a time.

Hopefully, I can really get started on making it look more presentible soon :rolleyes:" border=0>

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry moderator, It's been awhile! I reduced the photos to 640 X 480.
Can you please put them back????

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Well theres one definite advantage to the bachmann track, it's dirt cheap compared to where brass has gone! :D

Wholesaletrains show switches for $22, boxes of track $17, sheesh, not bad as long as your keeping it out of the weather ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah Vic, I'm in an environment where the humidity is under 8% 11 months out of the year! That, and I clean my track with WD-40, which leaves just enough of a film....

The track I'm installing now is over 6 years old, and in perfect shape!

Yes, brass has got ridiculous - but if and when I can get to the point where I can replace the track, it will be stainless - and holy cow the cost!

Yes my friend, Large scale is the only one where the track can break your budget!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Next update - 7/03/08:

I had to get something scenicked, so I started with a little corner....

First off, if someone hasn't seen spray foam on a layout before...

It swells when dry, and is very easy to trim!

Then I gave it a base coat (got impatient and used red primer!)

Then for ground cover, I went out to the back yard, and grabbed dirt! The texture was always off in smaller scales, buy works nicely in LS!

Then I took 2 old trees I got from Michaels a while back, and a couple of trees from my HO scale layout (which made nice LS bushes!).

After applying the dirt, I sprayed it with wet water (1 drop of detergent), and carefully dripped a 50/50 mix of white glue and water over the whole thing and let it dry.

Voila my first scenery! At least it looks better than bare styrofoam!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts