G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What I wanted, only in narrow gauge

So with an old Bug Mauler drivetrain I had modified previously to an 0-6-0 set up but had never done anything with,
I gave it a whirl…

Boiler, 60mm PVC, cut and fitted to the Bug Mauler chassis, boy was this one hellova mess to cut

Tender test, I just had this one left over from my 2-4-2 that got mashed into a Heisler

A/C switcher pilot beam attached

Stack from a A/C switcher, cheapo Scientific domes, assorted fiddly bits attached

Rear view with fiddly bits attached, cab from a Scientific epoxied to the boiler

Side view, the whole boiler/cab assembly can be unscrewed from the drive with the same screw holes

Pilot with steps and tank added

I literally threw this one together quite literally as Warren would say, “right out of the garbage can” (parts trough), and I might say with a rather unashamed sloppyness and a further unashamed haste.

Test ran it on the layout. Runs like crap!

Herky jerky due to poor power pick up. Crap drive! Need to add pickups to all the tender wheels to fix that. Thats why I screwed the boiler/chassis togther so I can add a different drive chassis somewhere down the line. I’m not too sure about that tender, looks smallish, have a slopeback coming from weaselBay. We’ll see how that looks when that arrives. Need to change the headlight with one that works.

I will post some more pics soon, maybe tonight.

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
VIc,

Whoa.  Lookin good.  My bug mauler always ran pretty well, except now that its got a stripped gear.  Need to put her and a check in the mail for repair..

Mark

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
That looks great!!

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tender arrived from eBay today, added a couple trucks and...I think we have a winner

Its an Aristo slopeback tender.  Looks far better than the Columbia tender, a lot closer to what this type of engine would actually have. 

One of the trucks has dual power pickups so all I should need to do is add a connector from the RC shop and a couple of details. Front coupler needs a little tweeking. Almost done!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Looking good, trash can to mantle! Great work.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
as a side note though, how about adding about 2" onto that slope back tender??? most 0-6-0's did infact have slope back tenders, though a litle longer. it would be easy to extend the coal bunker back by 1-2" easily

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Posted By vsmith on 02/25/2008 9:43 PM
Tender arrived from eBay today, added a couple trucks and...I think we have a winner

You have a winner, all right ! Beautiful job !

·
Registered
112 Posts
Very, very nice bash! Great job! Makes me almost want to give up electrics!

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Definitely a winner! Very nice! Well done! Thanks for sharing the pics and how to.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Great bash Vic!

Looks good and looks like it could have been built that way.

I believe there were many 0-6-0s with slopeback tenders.

The purpose of the slopeback was to provide better vision when switching.

Jim

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

After all the discussion about the USA and Piko docksiders valve gear, I added crosshead and stephenson valve mechanism, I think it looks the better for it.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
I agree! It's the little details like that that really make the model, in my opinion. And thanks for sharing. :)

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Toad, the cab interiors were often painted a green zinc chromate color as it was the most durable color at the time,

1 - 20 of 33 Posts