G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting this new thread to track the progress(pun intended) of the new garden RR I will be building. Yesterday I deceided to up my min. radius curves to 5 footers thus to allow Geeps and cars with body mount couplers. While out running the South FL hobby store gambit with Mikey G. I picked up a box of 5 footers and a few extra pieces to make the first loop. When the mail order comes with 4 footers, I'll set the 4 footers aside for the Christmas tree later this year. I also picked up a couple Bachman cars including a tank car and a Spectrum gondola that has doors that open on the sides. Quite pricey, but what the heck /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif" border=0> It looked cool and can always be relettered. I've got track now to start with and the LGB 040 shown up yesterday too while I was away. During my running earlier this AM, I stopped at storage and picked up a few containers of ballast. I've got some bricks, but need a few more and something curved too ;)" border=0> The weed block is here, but I will need some flexable lawn edging that has a flat edge on top and I'll be ready to go to work on it :)" border=0> The only thing that throws a bug in things is that it's Ms Rocky's birthday today -SO, I guess I can run to Lowes and buy her a present as well as the other things I need and get her a card on the way home. Pictures will follow as progress marches forward. Look for some later today as I plan to get started now, that is .... after I order flowers for Ms Rocky /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif" border=0> Rocky

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright you guys ,
I put everything on hold yesterday when I picked Deb up at work to take and celibrate her B-day, but I've already been out this early morning with my coffee cup mentally moving this and that. I did physically move a couple things so far, but I'm ready to get down and get to work and get dirty /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gif Will shoot pic.s as I go along :) Rocky

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Progress is being made, but not without a few issues :confused:
First, here's a general overview with track in planning.

Now the issues at hand.
Here is the issue with the "No Clearance" at the mailbox.
Not a big thing to deal with, just sawing off a slice to accomidate width ;)

This ones a bit tougher and will take some drastic action to save the bush.

I could maybe swing this with 4 foot curves, but I want to use 5 footers.

So I have my work cut out for me, but I'm keepin' my promise to the group and keepin' y'all up dated :cool:

Rocky

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
"Stone Lion Shortline?"

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After some serious thought, I have to switch back to 4 foot curves /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/ermm.gif" border=0>
These ideas were brought by the clearance of the bush next to the building.

And by how far I'd have to extend the garden out.
This might make the Association idiots upset. Yet I will have to extend out a half a foot or so.

But I will have to add that my trimming the sidewalk with hammer and chisle were the corner of the main walk didn't match up with the new piece they poured a few years ago, worked out ok as my trimming of the mailbox post :)" border=0>

Now as for 4 foot curves, I asked Ms Rocky if I could "borrow" the circle from out of the Aristo set we got at the last ECLSTS we went to a couple years ago until the box comes from Robbie at RLD. This way I can keep working for now /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif" border=0>
More progress reports to come :cool:" border=0>
Rocky

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More progress photots /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/wow.gif
Made it around the end of the loop using 4 and 5 foot curves. Then down the back edge and I've made the last turn and heading for home - other end of the loop. Here's the pictures :)

Rocky

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Hi Rocky and welcome back!
I envy you as you are in the most exciting part of model railroading, namely, negotiation with higher authorities i.e. significant other and home owners associations. Add to that the excitement of dealing with the cruelties of geography and you should have a lot to keep your mind occupied over the next few weeks.
Oh, and one more thing; how are you going to get your northern to negotiate those turns?!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gif" border=0>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts