G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got some of the NEW aristocraft switch machines

what I was expecting was a ALL NEW slow moving machine that I was hoping would hold up as well as a LGB EPL ......

what I got was a BOHLER type machine with an adaptor to hook it up to aristo turnouts .....

some pictures below are of the aristo machine and the BOHLER one from Train-li-USA

the aristo one has all plastic gears and screws that hold the cover on and has a little connector to hook the wires up to ... but I am not sure the connector is a good idea for outside ....

bohler

aristo

aristo left bohler right

·
Super Modulator
21,221 Posts
I have pictures of the prototype from almost 2 years ago. The throwbar was square in cross section and Lewis told me he would O ring seal it. Well, now it's possible since it's round. That's good news.

The other issue I had was waterproofing (that was the claim) the connectors. Looks like the entry to the mechanism via the connector is not sealed, and the addition of the little board just adds more contacts to corrode or get dirty.

But since it is an obvious clone of the bohler, that feature is copied too.

Maybe there is a new "cloning" procedure to patent? It takes guts, as some other member said.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
You can't patent a product that's allready being traded, atleast that's how it works here.
In Australia you could patent the wheel if you wanted to, and it's been done, how it is in the states... who knows :)

·
Premium Member
5,628 Posts
From what I've seen this definitely not a switch to put out doors. It will go belly up in a heart beat. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
both motors look like the ones we had years ago in slot cars I used to play with.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Well that's not good. The Train-Li units have not got good reviews of long term use from the boys in the UK.

-Brian

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Posted By altterrain on 02/12/2009 8:38 PM
Well that's not good. The Train-Li units have not got good reviews of long term use from the boys in the UK.

-Brian

That is good to know ......

I have had one for a year and in looking at it was afraid it might not do well outside the cost of the aristo one is 31.00 and you get the machine and adaptor for aristo turnouts plus a power conection with dpst switch and the little plug in board ...

this thing only draws like 200 ma at the start of movement then drops to like 150ma as it runs then turns itself off ....

it runs real well with a 9 volt battery aristo says to coat the contacts with rubber cement if you use it outside ...

Is rubber cement uv stabe ? anyone tryed this on something ?

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
Posted By lownote on 02/12/2009 4:47 AM
I can't understand what the "patent pendng" is supposed to cover, since it's obviously a copy of the Bohler. I read the review of this in GR, and they never suggested it was a copy of an existing design

Thinking back on this I think I did not read a review in GR, I think all I saw was a new product announcement and maybe a review on LSOL, which I no longer belong to.

·
Super Modulator
21,221 Posts
Lewis was very interested in showing it to me. I saw it at the BTS in Ontario, and then again at the NGRC.

I expressed concern how it was to become waterproof. The prototype I saw had a throwbar of square cross section, so I was skeptical. This has been corrected in the production model... GOOD!

The other concern is moisture getting into where the contacts are. From what I saw when I held it in my hands, there was no protection from water getting in, and it seems that this has not changed. I would goop silicon all over the outside where the opening is in the switch machine. I think that the extra board with the screw terminals is convenient, but I would have opted for a plug with wires attached. This would allow waterproofing more easily, than the big chunk of board, not to mention getting silicon in the little bitty screws.

So overall, I see one improvement, but calling this switch motor water resistant is not credible at all (was originally to be waterproof). The chances of waterproofing it yourself are marginal in my opinion.

Regards, Greg

p.s. Scott: could I use your excellent pictures on my site? I would credit you of course.

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
ANA Kramer has them on Ebay for $24.95, the Aristo ones. I was looking for alternatives to ever increasing LGB switch machines. With the above reviews, I am not so sure now if I want to use them outdoors.

·
Premium Member
4,042 Posts
Aristocraft has posted electrical diagrams of this new switch machine and call for diodes for motor direction, and the diagrams show diodes on the inside of the unit.

Also Lewis stated these are 12 volt motors and he will void the warranty if motors burn out on high voltages.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the funny thing is the dioides on the outside are redundant and not needed ....

this thing works well on 9 volts so I may have to add a resistor to throw it with dcc ...

I am also going to hook it up to a number 6 switch and see how it does ...

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
I believe the schematic as authored by Aristo-Craft is incorrect / flawed for its shown external connection applications.

The schematic diagram is somewhat unclear to me as I look at it, but from what I can tell the switch machine's INTERNAL diodes & switch in combination appear to be for the purpose of serving as an overrun circuit (limiting means) like that of the older, heretofore, Aristo turnout motor assembly - meaning if the voltage applied to actuate the motor were to remain applied (upon which the internal switch is repositioned to accept anticipated opposite polarity of applied voltage) the resulting circuit configuration is to prevent motor overrun.

In the case of the schematic's lower right-hand diagram for AC application showing two external switches connected to two external diodes, I would think the switches should be shown to be ganged together with one normally open whilst the other normally closed. As such, this would accommodate proper operational control to take advantage of the switch machine's internal overrun circuit- which is how the external connections to the switch machine are shown. The external diodes are to rectify the AC to DC (half wave) as the switch machine motor operates on DC.

In the case of the schematic's upper right-hand diagram for AC application AND upper left hand for DC application - given the way it's connections are shown, it would not take advantage of the internal overrun circuit; but most significantly, the switch motor would only actuate in one direction as a diode would block any opposite polarity path in which needed to operate the switch to the opposite direction.

-Ted

·
Premium Member
5,628 Posts
Also for any folks that like to use a switch light to indicate direction of turnout are SOL. Later RJD

1 - 20 of 90 Posts