G Scale Model Train Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Well, the flagpost has been finished and turned out to be 125% in size... It seems I've done some mistakes as I made the drawings and never checked them up with some other O-scale stuff... Finally, I've to build a new one. This version would work for 1/35 scale :-(

Here are some examples of finished rolling stock. I've still troubles while applieing decals so I hope that a soft weathering will hide most of the disaster.

Coach #17

Boxcar #35 was rebuild with new positions of the ladders and new endbeams. The second boxcar is "out of the box" style.

All Flatcars got their planks painted in dry brush technique to look like weatherd wood. This includes the gondola and tankcar too.

The caboose also got some paint on the platforms.

Still unfinished are two flatcars who will get pulpwood racks installed. The Forney loco will get a small back-date dress up at last.

Will be continued =)

Gerd

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Nice rolling stock! The weathered wood, like on the gondola, looks very good!

I've still troubles while applieing decals so I hope that a soft weathering will hide most of the disaster.

I don't know what sort of decals you use. It looks like they are a bit thick and stiff, am I right?
Microcale Set & Sol helps with aplying most decals. It soften the decals a bit and help it to set correct on the surface (and prevents the whitening).

Some links:
http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=FINPROD
http://www.bare-metal.com/Microscale-Model-Finishing-Products.html

Anyway, you allready have the decals on, so this it talking afterwards...

If I had this problem I would try a coat of clear paint (or Future) over it. This to prevent the decals from the washes of paint when you start weathering the cars (for instance the thinned paint flowing under the decals or rapture them by drybrush).
After this coat is applied you can weather it safely. Sometimes the whitening even dissapeares (or is less showing) when using Future (but as I said: sometimes!). Future has an egg gloss, so it has to be matted down again. But that's no problem when you are weathering the cars.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Gerd

The whitish background on your decals is known as silvering (silvering, not slivering). Those of us who build model armor/planes, etc know of this, especially on dark background colors.

One way to eliminate the silvering is to put down a coat of gloss medium on the surface to be decaled BEFORE you apply the decals. Future Floor Finish works great and is acrylic. It cleans up with Windex window cleaner.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts