G Scale Model Train Forum banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Posted By cmjdisanto on 02/12/2008 8:36 AM
It is just simply amazing./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blink.gif She's at it again only now she's rallying the other neighbors to call./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crazy.gif:mad:
What you are describing IS the future of our society.  That is the direction we are heading just a little at a time, but we are definitely getting there.   Welcome to the Brave New World, the Founding Fathers be d****d!  Those old days of true individualism are almost over.  Now you are part of a larger collective entity who will speak for you for your own good, of course (or at least the good of your neighbors who may be offended by you). You may not know your neighbors well, but soon enough they will have more rights than you when  it comes to you being a good neighbor who fits in (and knows his place). Lucky you--all of you who live stateside near or in the more progressive communities.

You will no longer have any rights to alter anything on your OWN property, to own animals of your choice, to smoke cigarettes on your own land or even in the house(not that I recommend it), to burn wood in a fireplace (you probably already have THAT restriction!), to even prune your own trees, much less cut them down, and you will have to get permission before you repaint your house so that some committee somewhere can determine that it will still fit in with THEIR idealized it-takes-a-village scheme and on and on.  I'm surprised you are still allowed to set up your own outdoor railroad. Remember, Ms Meddling Busybody IS the neighbor of the future. She is a sign of the times. Am I sounding too pessimistic?  Am I exaggerating? Maybe not so much as some of you would prefer to believe.

--Still pleased to be living in wild Alaska

·
Premium Member
Getting our home built so maybe we can start playing with trains again!
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·

www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,973578,00.html   or just click on the picture.;)

Say what you will about the media today and I would probably agree with you and/or offer my own opinion as well. Yet it wasn't so long ago (well actually now 17 years WOW!) that there was still a glimmer of responsible and quality journalism available. I've posted this link, quoted some of the article in my posts (and rantings from time to time) and always thought this was a very well written (and truthful) article. Since the article appeared in a 1991 issue one could almost say it was a prophecy? Just look at us today. 

All of everything has a time and place. Yet we've gotten so out of balance with things. Almost everything we do is done to "fanatical levels"I'm not saying I'm above some of these things but I do try to keep myself in check. Yet I am still human. 

The majority of society knows the difference between right and wrong, privacy and public, etc, etc, etc. The problem is the majority allows the minority to enact, run, change, control whatever because the minority uses the fanatical approach. Mostly because they have lost all sense of reason, they are willing to kick, scream, cry and hold their breath (in a manner of speaking) until they get what they want. Trouble is the majority, being or trying to be more reasonable, is just not willing to go to those lengths. Well maybe it's time for that to change I just don't know. Yet I do know  these neighbor(s) that we are now dealing with are just that fanatical. Yet this woman and her neighbors don't even share a property line with us since their property line has 35ft of city land, 40ft of Railroad ROW and another 10-15ft of County property. from ours. We're talking half a football field. The Houses are even further apart since I know for a fact we have 60ft from the house to the property line. I'm not sure what they have. So I could understand some concern if we were closer together, living in the same city or county, shared a property line, if we were manufactuting crystal meth, ran a bordello, or commited a dozen other criminal acts but we're not nor do we intend to either.:mad:

Anyhow I think Mike asked earlier about how she was "rallying the neighbors". After a good bit-o-thought....... I came to the conclusion that she's doing it no differently than any other fanatical, disillusioned, socially diluted, mentally instable and off-center person has done throughout history. Hey there have been a couple instances where folks (the big one being a Bohemian Corporal) have taken a cause, twisted the facts and even made up things to fit a personal adgenda. This is on a much smaller scale since it only affects us yet she's reaching the same level of success by rallying her neighbors. Makes ya really think./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blink.gif 

Flaming arrows. Hehehehe/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif Too bad I can't draw a bow at the moment./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif Nahhhhh. I think the fence that I put up for the Bulldozer umm err uhhh I mean Tractor pen might just need to resemble a "graphic of a cactus". or at the least a yard ornament to do the same. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gif

G

·
RE: The Mother of all "busy-bodies"!!!!!!!

well,

it is our own fault.
we all in "western civilisation" want the impossible. we want fredom and security.
only now, being too late allready, we begin to understand, that each little piece of organized security we reached, gave away a little piece of individual freedom.

and nearly no new frontiers left ...

korm

(typo edited)

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Well??????????????????????

I think we're gonna have to get the authorities involved from our side. This woman knows no bounds or at least that's the way it now appears. 

We've lived here over a year now and never have had anyones kids walk from the Chesterfield side of things to ours or visa versa. One since there aren't many kids over here and two it's a good hike even for kids. 

After the other day I believe that our resident loon called the city to follow up and was told to let it go since we were working on our property. Today, I was also doing work that was not finished the other day and I have a very distinct feeling she called the city again today. Hey it was all on our property AGAIN and this time I even put all the waste in a can instead of adding it to our compost heap. Seeing how persistent she has been about things, and after being told by the County that there was nothing that could be done and now the City has dismissed things I believe she's really reaching.

Long about 4:30 this afternoon her three boys come walking through the woods, across our property, through our newly planted grass and flowerbed and then proceed through our neighbors yard and down her drive. I wasn't around and Cami was so to be honest she was the one that told me three boys walked over and through our yard. Then about 10-15 minutes later she tells me the same three boys were walking back through the yard. So I go see. I didn't' say anything since I recognized them. I kinda had a feeling she used her kids to incite something. I know that it's hard to believe that someone would do this but then again and like I said no one has ever made the walk to or from in the time we've been here and I am home everyday at this time because of obligations here. Maybe they'd run home saying I threatened them or some other thing. So I just stepped out side and watched them. I started to think about things too. Cami and one of her best friends were in the back yard playing. I began to think that maybe they came over to start something. Not sure at this point but when all of this began I did tell Cami to walk away and come into the house if the boys ever made their way over here and to do this until I told her different. Hey she's only 9 and things aren't the way they were 30-40 years ago.

We've already looked at the trespassing laws in VA and understand those. I have the husbands email so I sent him a note stating that I found it hard to believe that she would do this but just make sure his wife was not using her family as a instrument in whatever issue she has with us. I stated that this has nothing to do with the easement and concerns our own personal property. I then explained that we would consider this trespassing from here on out and the next time they made their way over here I would be telling them that this is private property and they needed to turn around and find another way since through our yard was not acceptable. I have tried to reason in prior emails but that doesn't seem to be the course they wish to take. The law requires of me to notify the trespassers so the email and the signs that I'll be getting from Lowe's tomorrow should work. Now all I have to worry about is the fact they know I have a train back there. Great Googly Moogly!!!!!!!

I guess the "fun" aspect of this has been removed. Although I probably would still consider some of the things we talked about as "interesting alternatives", yet I just don't think that this is gonna be too smooth from here on out. AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
383 Posts

Wait and see what the response is from the "adults" in their family.
Should they reply in the affirmative that they understand that your property is out of bounds, keep that evidence.
Should they not respond in the affirmative, or go so far as to instruct you to "shove it", keep that too...
I'll presume you have a video camera available.
Next time you see you little buddies approach, be prepared to meet them in your yard, filming them, and politely explain that they are trespassing, and suggest that they find a different route to where ever they are going.
Make sure you ask them if they understand that they are not welcome on your property, filming all the while...
Also ensure that you have the time and date stamp activated on the camera...
Should they make the unfortunate mistake of making a return trip, I would then call the constabulary, and have them arrested for trespassing.
And see what you need to do about a fence...
Good luck!!!

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts

This is called upping the ante. Not good.

Security camera...installed inside your shed...looking through a hole at your garden railroad...keeps it dry and safe. Get one that has an IR light...so that it works in the dark. Ebay has bunches. Some are wireless, so all you need for them is power. You're gonna need one to give you peace of mind...and lock the shed so it stays safe.

Agree with Duncan....ANY interaction you have should be video's with the time/date stamp ON...and sound being recorded. If you don't have one, use your digital camera to take photographs. MAKE A RECORD.

Make a file up to put all this information in...a diary. Add notes. Put EVERYTHING in this file.

If this continues...you're headed to court...and YOU want your records organized. Loonies frequently fail to organize....that's to YOUR advantage.

·
Registered
36 Posts

Man o man. I agree with Mike about this being ante upping. It's a bummer having to keep such records to CYA in, literally, your own back yard. But it is a very good idea. Have you thought about getting in touch with the county sherrif and see what the chances are that they would come out and "moderate" a face to face discussion with Mrs Cravits to see just what the heck is her major problem and to officially inform them that your back yard is not the path to wherever. This way an official record had been established and if things do escalate there is a starting point that they can they can reference, ie: they get videoed walking in your yard again after the meeting, or continued harrassment. Your following all the city rules that apply and have their blessings on what your doing so they are the one walking the fine line now and you might even have to get some sort of restraining order on their family to leave you all alone. Nice legal baby steps.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Joe,
  I really feel for you.  I wish I could give you some suggestions that would take care of this, but the problem is that you just don't know what your 'neighbor' will do next.  I sure hope things get settled down and you can enjoy your yard, railroad, life and family once again without worry.  Sometimes you just have to wonder what other people are thinking. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/shocked.gif

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Thanks Guys! I've already said that part of me is bothered by the whole mess but then part of me really is having fun with it too. Hey I never claimed to be a Saint. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif Anyhow it was relatively quiet yesterday. I still had some work to finish up with the beds and one lone pine we thought was a Fir too near the house. It was really a sapling by comparison to the other that have dies off but to keep consistent it had to come out. 

As I said it was quiet and I'm not sure what is steeping in the cesspool of a mind our neighbor(s) have across the way. I never received a response to the email (not that I expected one/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif) so no news is good news. I hate to have been forced to do this but the "NO TRESPASSING" signs have been displayed low and high and are with-in our property boundaries. Man I really hate it had to come to that. We've never been forced to do something like this ever. 

I was also thinking about installing a 10,000 watt xenon gas motion light on the back of the shed./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif;) Maybe a couple night of that thing going off with the activity of the 10,000 squirrels we have will get them a thinking. Hey just wanting to protect our investment here./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue2.gif Nahhhh /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/satisfied.gif I guess we'll just have to wait and see what plays out from here.

And for those that didn't realize it or have mentioned the "log" this topic is it.:D

Oh yeah I forgot to mention we kinda figgered out why this is going on in the first place. We've really learned that there is this whole "Native/Outsider" type of mentality here. Native being anyone that grew up in the City of Colonial Heights, went through the school system and remained here instead of moving away. The "outsiders" are folks like us who have relocated to the area because of the schools and small town feel or the hundreds of Military Officers and post enlisted that have chosen to live off post from Ft. Lee as well as others. 17,000 residents in the city of Colonial Heights. Small town really. So you can now imagine what it can be like. I've mention to a couple that it's gotten a whole lot better in the past 5 years or so we've been told and the fact that Cami hasn't come home crying from being bullied by the natives is probably proof. A lot of it has to do with the fact the City Manager is not from the area (this would be his 5th municipality) and for the most part they've come to realize they were creating more of an in-bred (thing European royalty with the big ears and all) mind set. The town would fail to grow as long as that was the case. Anyhow our dear neighbor is "of Colonial Heights". The other interesting thing is that the houses over there have Colonial Heights address but are in the county.

I never understood the reasoning behind that in anyplace we've lived. You get no benefit from the city you are in like, water, sewer, gas, school system etc yet you have the address thing. I guess that's their way, being " natives" and all of keeping their Colonial Heights address and not have to pay Colonial Heights taxes.:rolleyes: Trouble is they think they live in Colonial Heights or are disillusioned enough to think that the City really cares./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/shocked.gif I guess we'll see as time goes by.

·
Premium Member
1,435 Posts

Oh YES! The "you didn't grow up here and have no idea what it was like" attitude. LOL! I'm dealing with that now. Even though I moved less than 5 miles into another township I still get that feeling. mostly when I attend school functions with my daughter and see the other "dads" buddy buddying each other. Luckily my neighbors don't have that attitude or at least not as much as your seem to.

Chas

·
Registered
810 Posts
Well if it is the "not from around here " problem that is eating her, then perhaps you had better tell her that this is the first half of the 21st Century!!! We did have problems with some of the neighbours -they didn't like the Pink Megane and the Lilac Moggie for starters. Once my wife had "enrolled" at the local "Hall" most of the locals got their noses rubbed in it though...

I lived in a small East Midlands city. The suburb where my wifes' mother lives (Oakwood) has a population of 150,000, (all home owners) and that is one of the smaller ones. The english definition of a City is that it has a Cathedral, hence "Olde London Towne" or "Port of London" -the City is Westminster....

regards

ralph

·
Premium Member
470 Posts

I agree with the camera set up, Frys and other places have reasonably priced IR set ups with digital video recording, records up to a week then writes over the old data, can be transferred to a CD or DVD if needed for archiving. Put it up and let it run ALL the time. Buy a basic digital voice recorder and leave it in your pocket, if you have any contact with the neighbors, tell them you are recording the conversation, whether in person or on the phone. Print out the emails, both directions, and document. A couple of use and toss cameras are nice to have laying around as well. I keep one in each glove box in case of accidents..

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
The quiet was nice...........While it lasted!!!!!!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/wow.gif  I had just arrived home from picking up some supplies to fix our irrigation system and I saw that our neighbor (the elderly one) was having tree tree work done today. No sooner that I got in the house and took off my coat and the Busybody was standing at the edge of our cleared easement and the RR bed taking pictures of our house. 

I gotta say I'd about had it with this and so I walked outside and asked very politely......"Excuse me Mrs. Hevener. Is there something I can do for you or question I can answer? If not please stop taking pictures of our home since this is becoming borderline harassment." Well she turned and walked away mumbling something to the effect of "I'm just out here walking through City property."  I offered her the opportunity to view the letter we received from the City Manager last May. The letter explains that we have permission to use and maintain the property, what we can and can't do, etc. She then had the audacity to say that the letter I had wasn't real. :confused:

Anyhow I proceeded back into the house and grabbed my camera. By the time I made it back out she was actually trespassing on someone else's property so I just snapped a couple shots. :D

I did decide it was time to send her Hubby another email. This time I covered the City Manager and the City Chief Engineer. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif Instead of "explaining" what I wrote I'll just contribute a copy of the email.
Dear Mr. Hevener,

I certainly hope your day is going much better than ours. I need to speak to you regarding the City Easement and the actions of your wife Linda against us. Mrs. Hevener (referred to as your wife here on out) has called the City of Colonial Heights on us close to 12 times that we are aware of. Three of those times were for work that was done to our property last week. She has called the Chesterfield County Sheriff and Police departments and the Colonial Heights police Department had to respond at the Counties request. We have been visited 6 times by the City Engineers and our property has been staked out on one of the visits by a City Engineer. She has attempted and successfully been able to incite your neighbors to  contact the city when ever we seem to sneeze. This became apparent last week when we were doing work to our property and another neighbor was mentioned to have called. Today she was at  it again taking pictures of the easement and our property. Why I have no idea since we are not doing any work. Other than the edging of the beds and subsequent mulching we have done to the easement no work has been performed off our property. However, our neighbor Polly Cox had some work done to the trees overhanging her house and property. You wife's actions involving and against us have created an animosity that will probably never decrease. This is a true shame since we don't even plan on moving into an area only to create discourse and ill feelings. Her actions have also caused us for the first time in 5 homes to feel the need to post "No Trespassing" on our property.

I have tried to contact you via email in the past in the hopes that you might be able to bring some end to the issue.  Given the continued persistence of your wife this obviously was unproductive. I have attached a letter that was provided to us by the City of Colonial Heights. I was not intending on sharing this since it was a private communication between us as Colonial Heights Residents and the City of Colonial Heights. I am still very apprehensive on providing it yet I believe we have been left with no alternative. I did approach your wife and offered her a chance to look at the letter today while she was taking pictures of the easement and our property but she stated something to the effect that it wasn't real and kept mumbling something while walking away. I did not pursue her any further and felt this was the best approach. This whole situation has made me sick to my stomach and caused us a great deal of stress. I truly hope that the letter I have attached will provide some closure to things and allow us to live out our existence here peacefully.  

As I just stated we are trying to live peacefully here. Please allow us the opportunity to do such. We also have not and will not be the aggressors here. All of the actions that have been initiated have been done so by your wife. We have done nothing outside of what we have communicated to the City other than the irrigation and that has been addressed. Although at the time we had not known that it would create the issue it did. Our only intention was to allow the plants and grass we were transplanting a chance to establish themselves and survive. As we have told the City officials already, our intentions will not encroach upon any further easement property nor cut down any live trees on the easement. We would however continue to maintain the cleared easement to the same high standard we use for our own property.

I would certainly entertain the opportunity to discuss this with you in person and allow you to see for your self that what we have done was not for the detraction of things but for the overall improvement of our home and subsequently our neighborhood in Sherwood Hills. Since our two properties do not share a common property boundary and are separated by over 100ft of abandoned railroad bed and a County and City line, we had no idea that our efforts to improve would cause such an issue. For this we apologize.

It's not clear to me whether or not he was aware of any of this and/or if he was whether or not he cares one way or another. hat is clear is that we have established very publicly with two city officials our intention to settle the issue as well as provide documentation of the "permission". I can only guess, unless we hear to the contrary from the City Officials, that any "antics" by Mrs Hevener from here on out are nothing more than those of a spoiled individual that was told something they didn't like nor wanted to hear./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/satisfied.gif I still have to ask exactly what is her motivation here. I see no gain, no benefit to her actions, no positive impact, no lesson for the betterment of things learned, no contribution to the community....etc, etc.:confused:

As soon as it's in the budget.........The camera surveillance system will be ordered./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif

I hope that this has been a great source of entertainment for ya'll out there. It'd be nice if some good can come of things./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Vic, That looks like an old 280mm Howitzer with a nuclear fitted shell. My father was assigned to a similar one of those Howitzers (the 155mm) while stationed in Germany in the 50's.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.