G Scale Model Train Forum banner
21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
RE: The Mother of all "busy-bodies"!!!!!!!

You know for the inconienience of not being able to have a pizza delivered to my house, it sure is nice not living in a city.

Out here in nowheresville on Artist Point Road.

·
Premium Member
Getting our home built so maybe we can start playing with trains again!
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
So, I was just gonna let this fade off into the background but after thinking about things this is just too much to not add. This past Thursday we got a visit from the City Engineers. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blink.gif

Long about  oh 1pm the door bell rings. No delivery trucks out front (we weren't expecting anything anyway) so I answer the door and there were two gentlemen from the City standing there. It seems that our friend (Oh and BTW her name is Linda Hevener) had made it know to the city that we were not only cutting down many "Live" trees but also were operating a Bulldozer on the back of the property.:confused:  The Engineers said they received a call and had to check things out. I kinda got all hazy at that moment and remember saying...... What the @#$% does this woman think she's doing. She's not even a @#$%$#@ resident of the City!!!!!! I even sent a letter to the City Manager and he said we were okay!!!!!!!!!!!!!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/angry.gif:mad: They apologized for bothering me but asked me to show them the back yard. Okay I said.

So we I brought them back there and explained what we had done. The Chief Engineer commented that he knew what was happening from a previous visit and wasn't even going to respond but she called 3 times. Phunny, we hadn't done anything since last Friday and.............................:confused: Anyhow, I showed him the 3 dead pines, explained everything to him that I had to the countless other individuals( sheriff, Police, City Manager, ya'll,etc,........ He said that they would have had to cut them down if they posed an issue and we just saved them the issue. He also asked exactly where the old rail bed was and I showed him. He explained that it was abandoned some years ago and that portions of it were given to the City and the County. It was previously explained to us that whatever portion of it bordered the City belonged to the City. He then asked me if we were planning on encroaching on any more of the City easement property. I explained that were were content with what we had accomplished and didn't wish to disturb any other areas. That is except for what was our property that had not yet been cleaned.

One of the last things we talked about was when this would all end and we wouldn't have to have them spend time to find out what was going on. I'm happy to say that he commented that this will put things to rest as far as the city is concerned. Since we obviously were trying to enhance the neighborhood, we understood the parameters of what we could and couldn't do from here on out and the basic fact that it looked so nice they were finished investigating things in regards to her complaints. They had no merit.  He did ask about the Bulldozer as an "Oh by the way" type of an approach and said that we do have the John Deere tractor but that fell far short of a Bulldozer in his opinion. He said she described an actual bulldozer. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blink.gif

I think it's time for "Mr. Wizard" to bring her back home. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif;)

I ain't holding my breath but here;'s to hoping it's over. 

We did clear an extra 50X25 area the other day. It was all on our property. Plus we have the tree surgeon coming this week and all that work will be done on our property as well. I told him to bring extra chain saws to drive her nutz. I'm sure she's gonna be out the minute they get fired up and I can't wait to tell her........ "Mind her own business. They're our trees!!!!!!!";)

·
Premium Member
7 Posts

All I can say is, with all that firewood.... Hey Bevis hehehe Fire fire hehehe. (Dont) let her get to close to the fire hehehe she might get burned.......

Well I guess I got something else to say, go buy a old very rusty car/truck for about $200 and park it infront of her house, but remember to move it daily. That should keep her happy..... If you lived here, I'd let you borrow my pickup..... Then get the liscense plate of BIZEBOD and a spray painted arrow on the bumper pointing at her house...... Just have a place to hide it if any other neighbors has a house up for sale (you dont want to devalue the neighborhood by alerting potential neighbors to her presence).
Oh, actually I have a 3rd idea, watch her place for A dandylion to show up, call her city and complain about her spreading weeds to your yard (This is a tactic used locally by BIZEBOD's) as told to me by a city manager near me (thankfully I was not involved), but he gets that call regularly.....

Actually, trying to fight a bizebod is a losing battle, as those people do not have a life. If you want to be amused, notice a neighbor came home late and ask the bizebod about it, and she will more than likely tell you how often that happens, where that person was (in her opinion). Say something about someone left on vacation, and she will probably tell you what minute they left, where they are going, when they will be back, how often they go on vacation (oh and that neighbor said nothing to her about it).......

·
Premium Member
518 Posts

You might want to approach the city and find out if they have any plans for the ROW easement then if they don't ask them to give your buyer's first right for purchasing that portion that adjoins your property. If succesful then check the codes to see how high you can build a mud fence two feet within the property line so she can't say anything. BTW I have been trying to get back to Virginia for years. What area do you live in. If she joins her maker soon (ie the guy with horns) let me know. Mabey my wife will agree to move there for our final retirement. Yea right!
Noel

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Noel, We're in the process of that right now. We just have to get the City to cooperate but it's not looking too promising. Then again they may get sick of the whole situation and her complaints and sell us the land just so they won't be bothered anymore. If we own it instead of them then all they have to say is........../DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/ermm.gif Leave us alone!!!!!!!! We don't own the land any longer!!!!!!!!!:D/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crazy.gif And as far as moving back?????? There's a nice Colonial for sale 3 doors down from us in the Colonial Heights City limits. Since the city is now land locked and reached build out for residential property......... I'd rather not be anywhere else. The County has a looooong way to go to say that. It may take some time but I hope we reach that average of property values doubling every ten years. I think we just need to get through the next four years before I start celebrating though.;)

·
Premium Member
441 Posts

Why not just point-blank tell her to P*** off!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gif                                                                                                                                                                Tom                                                                

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I can remember a friend of mine bought a place down in Port Allegany, Pa. Not too far from Coudersport (former home of Adelphia Communications). The neighbor across the street was the local dentist and was buying up the substandard property around him and tearing it down. The house behind him sold before he got a purchase bid in on it. One day he came home to find the new neighbor cutting the pine trees on the border down. Regardless of whether they were on his property or not. The Dentist got so pissed off he applied for a permit to build "a proper garden wall" and it was approved. He then built a HUGE dividing wall that from his side is all nicely brick faced and provided better privacy than the pine trees ever thought of. Of course it is only cement block wall on the neighbors side. Sometimes it pays to be friendly to your neighbors. LOL!

Chas

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
It is just simply amazing./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blink.gif She's at it again only now she's rallying the other neighbors to call./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crazy.gif:mad:

We had a pretty good wind storm here on Sunday. Several trees that are on the easement (mostly dead pines) were broken and or knocked down. We didn't have to touch any of those since they fell mostly in areas we don't maintain.  Yet we did have some issues on our property and we also needed to clean up all the crap that has grown on the Oak's, Hickory's and other trees below the canopy line. Tree service was out, doing work entirely on our property and the City Engineer arrives. He's laughing at things, I'm laughing at things we're all laughing at things. We showed him we were with-in the property stakes he designated on the very first trip back in March of last year and he called the City Manager and explained that all the work was bing done on private property.The Engineer was also sent out to take pictures of what we were doing but since it was on private property there was no need to take them He did mention that to the City Manager he would be happy to take pictures but most of them would be pointed up in the air to points on the trees close to 100ft off the ground. Not a lot of detail to recognize. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif

So we continue. Just wondering when and if ever these folks are gonna stop. Starting to very, very seriously consider that 8ft security fence installed on our property line and then painted fluorescent colors on the county side and white on ours./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif

·
Premium Member
4,483 Posts

Hey you think you gots troubles now, just wait till you start building your layout!

She'll be screaming at the city, "They have TRAINS running back there TRAINS I tell you FULL SIZE TRAINS!"

With any luck she'll have a brain spasm and decide its time to move to Florida.

·
Premium Member
2,258 Posts
Posted By cmjdisanto on 02/12/2008 8:36 AM
It is just simply amazing./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blink.gif She's at it again only now she's rallying the other neighbors to call./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crazy.gif:mad:

So...what is she complaining about...and how is she rallying other neighbors?  Are now a bunch of neigbors calling the city to "check you out"?  Is this about noise?  Tree trimming?  Making woods into yards (cleaning)?  Working outside of your yard boundaries?  ....or is this another case of the developing "greenie" trend we're seeing out here in the West where "you're not supposed to be in the woods cause that's the animals house"...which has led to a lot of roads into the forests being blocked by gates and trenches.  Have you ANY idea what this woman wants?....other than to complain?

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Ya know Mike...... We just can't figger it out.:confused: I can go into a whole lotta detail and still be no more certain than I am now. I do know that I view our time here as "caretakers". I have always believed that we should make things better than what we found them to be. Yeah Yeah I know that's my view point but I don't use only my own view point to determine this but the view points of others in conjunction with our own and try to balance things out. We have a ton of trees that are well over 100 yrs old. I want them to last for the time we are here and longer if possible. 

From what we can see things have been maintained over the years. In fact, that there was a good deal of maintenance done to the area we cleaned and the maintenance I'm speaking of was performed by the previous owners and before that the railroad. We only removed trees that were smaller 3 inches in diameter unless it was dead. From the looks of things that meant that the area was cleaned and had been kept clean by the railroad until they pulled up the tracks in 1968 and then by the previous owners until around 12-14 years ago. About the same time the residents that are complaining moved in and the previous owners began to have health complications due to age and injury. Heck we removed a cobble stone path that was back there. It led from the pond to a point under some trees that we didn't remove. Unfortunately it was also burried under yard waste and other stuff so it couldn't be salvaged. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crying.gif

When we set the Arborist to do the work we had him determine what would work should be done to support healthy growth of the area in general. I.e. all the  larger and smaller  trees that would remain things we would plant, etc. He basically said that would only remove scrub brush, vines, over growth and garbage saplings that would continue to do nothing but rob the main trees of moisture and nutrients and untimately cause their demise. See how this fits into my "caretakers" p.o.v. People need to realize sooner or later that just because it appears to be in a natural state, or is natural.....doesn't always mean it is good or has a positive impact on things that inhabit or promote survival of long established as well and new growth. 

I'd be happy to try and explain this to these folks but unfortunately I believe it would be lost on them. Plus they have already taken the stance that they will either call the police or City of Colonial Heights on us for working with-in the boundries of what we have agreed upon with Colonial Heights involving easement property and now actions on our own property./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/plain.gif

Well I gotta go drive my "bulldozer" now (John Deere garden tractor) and smooth over some ruts made by the tree services truck./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif;)

·
Premium Member
2,258 Posts
Posted By cmjdisanto on 02/12/2008 12:40 PM
Ya know Mike...... We just can't figger it out.:confused:

If this is bugging you....versus fun for you....I'd confront the folks.  Face to face ask them what they want.  And tell them you want the complaints to stop.  BUT...only if this is bugging you.

There are health implications to stress...from being bugged.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
I wished I had saved the photo that I got via the internet.  A guy was going to build a house but his neighbor complained to the city that the house would block his view of the mountains.  The new home owner had a unique window built facing the neighbor.  It was a four panel, with the tops rounded.  The third window was about 2 feet higher than the others.  Sure reminded you of a certain gesture. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/shocked.gif

·
Premium Member
287 Posts

You have any attorneys for friends? Won't hold it against you if you do, but seems like its time for a harassment complaint. It gets to the point where enough is too much, and it sounds like youre pretty close to that point.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Posted By Mike Reilley on 02/12/2008 1:49 PM

If this is bugging you....versus fun for you....I'd confront the folks.  Face to face ask them what they want.  And tell them you want the complaints to stop.  BUT...only if this is bugging you.

There are health implications to stress...from being bugged.

I'm not so sure it isn't a little bit of both. It is sorta phun to see how or what they will react to yet at the same time it's just wondering exactly that. I guess if it really bothered me I'm the kinda person that would have already dropped it on their doorstep. Not to shy in that department. The thing that gets me the most is their arrogance and lack of respect about the whole situation and being bothered by the city. As far as the health implications, any new ones are just gonna have to take a number./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blush.gif     

Although it is nice seeing our tax dollars (and after the 30% increase they just levied/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blink.gif........) at work for folks even if they don't pay City taxes.:rolleyes: City and County taxes are not interconnected.  But then I never imagined that anything I would ever do would be significant enough to register on the the radar of a county, City and many of it's executives and citizens. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif I guess now I'm real important. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blush.gif 

Friends that are Attorneys?:confused: I'd have to hold that against myself./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif

I remember that window. I began thinking that the fence we may be erecting could have the same features?/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/shocked.gif An unforeseen (or well placed) large obstacle might facilitate the need to change the installation symmetry of the fence on two corners of the installation./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif;)

·
Premium Member
2,258 Posts
Posted By Bill4373 on 02/12/2008 2:04 PM
I wished I had saved the photo that I got via the internet.  A guy was going to build a house but his neighbor complained to the city that the house would block his view of the mountains.  The new home owner had a unique window built facing the neighbor.  It was a four panel, with the tops rounded.  The third window was about 2 feet higher than the others.  Sure reminded you of a certain gesture. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/shocked.gif

This one????

By the way...the owner of that home says the window is a graphic of a cactus.....yeah, right.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.