G Scale Model Train Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Very nice work, Peter, as usual.

Did you have plans/photos/drawings/??? for the inside of the cab? I don't see any place for the crew to sit down. Was there anyplace, or was sitting considered too effete in those days?

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Posted By astrayelmgod on 17 Jan 2012 03:34 PM
Very nice work, Peter, as usual.

Did you have plans/photos/drawings/??? for the inside of the cab? I don't see any place for the crew to sit down. Was there anyplace, or was sitting considered too effete in those days?

Hi, Thanks for the question - No I don't - I assume that the were by the front edge of the doors a pair of tip up seats, in the closed position lying against the inside of the cab wall below the 2nd window from the front - there is just about 12" clearance there.

People were small (in 1880) and I think that they could fit there (just!), a quick check across my hips revealed a width of 15" so I could not fit, (mind you I was born 160 years + after that!!) - another detriment of narrow gauge perhaps? When I have them ready (and Bachmann are much too wide they will sit on a block of scrap, glued to the floor and painted a dark brown so they will disappear in the 'gloom'.

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Posted By alecescolme on 17 Jan 2012 03:54 PM
Very nice and professional looking!

What type of varnish do you use to seal the decals?

Thanks,
Alec

Hi Alec,

I use Johnson's 'Klear' BUT they have changed the formula now so you cannot now use it - alas! (for other members that is in the UK: I think that in the US the formula used is still the same but I could be wrong).The general opinion from other web groups is that 'Lakeland' make a hard floor polish that will replace it, or an acrylic varnish will seal them down.

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Posted By Steve Stockham on 20 Jan 2012 07:28 AM
This was the 2002 Masterclass, if I remember correctly, so the Denver would be the 10th anniversary model!!

Hi Steve, I hand't workled that one out - and it wasn't planned that way! I think that David & all the others would think its a good way to celebrate it!

Thanks for the thought! Glad to produce something to celebrate it
The whole Masterclass was very good, and from it I learnt a great deal and also how to build G scale (alright to be exact FN3 scale) locomotives.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts