G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

When I joined MLS , about 8 years ago now, it was with the intention of building a Mason Bogie – that was done with the assistance from a lot of members: especially David Fletcher who ran a long running Master Class on building them. My DSP #12 Como was the result, and I believe that David used all the knowledge he had so carefully put together with Accucraft in China, where it resulted in the (totally sold out) Mason Bogies that they are making.

Amongst the huge amount of drawings that he has made there are a small set, for the larger versions, of which the Denver & South Park bought 4 – these are the rarely photographed, 2 8 6 version, of which I believe there are only two photos.

In conjunction with the 2 6 6 Masterclass there is enough to make one I believe, providing that you can source a motor and gearbox unit, that can act like Barry's original version that was also the pivot for the chassis.. Therefore having found a custom builder of that, and with some expansion of some of the drawings re the chassis for which David did 4 drawings of a ‘DIY chassis’ for the 2 6 6 version, in styrene I have started to build one. The drawings have as far as I am aware not been used at all, which is rather a waste, so now they will be! My thanks are due to David for making the extra drawings otherwise I could not be even thinking/attempting to build one of them. THANKS David!

The boiler is quite large being the same diameter as the 2 8 0 locomotives built for the DSP by Baldwin (and the subject of the latest Accucraft model) at 60mm diameter. That was difficult to find so I made a two layer boiler to be 59mm diameter from some large waste water pipe (and I now know a source for such pipe!) and added some 1/2mm styrene to bring it up to 60mm. I have also made the slightly less fancy (than the 2 6 6 version) bell rig that Mason employed, and from 2002 dug out the Hartland domes that I had ordered back then (2 sand, 1 steam). Those were modified and added to as David’s drawings. Then it was out the styrene for the boiler front, headlight brackets (for the Hartland headlamp) much fiddling about with small pieces were involved here!

I have ordered from Doug Bronson a tender truck and a pilot as well, which he will kindly make on his laser cutter soon, and Barry (of Barry’s Big Trains) will sell me two pieces of his custom aluminum extrusion. Barry also returned the custom (designed by Jim Barron) driving wheels, complete with axles etc to me, for which I am very grateful, as they are a special design – Thank you Barry!

Here are the first photos of my first steps building the loco, a trip to the model shop, emptied part of my cash reserves for ABS Plastruct so that is all now in stock; styrene card is easy, the other item is the cab: I ordered two (ages ago, one is on Como!), but the can still be bought from Doug Bronson if ordered – as a special order. The other essential item is the valve gear that as you will have guessed is also in stock, and is I believe still available from Harald Grosch.

My apologies for the somewhat poor photos - the light was not good at all! Nothing is yet fixed, it has just been pushed together!

_

The blue disc is the start of the Nesmith stack from the single good (official) photo of the locos' It will be the last one built #28 'Denver', and p[ainted in an approxiamtion of the American 'Lake' color

The firebox utilised some of the offcut from the boiler and was re-scaled from the 2 6 6 version - its larger in diameter, and yes I duiidn't see the rear sand dome was wonky!

Back to work - there is an awful lot to do!

·
Premium Member
1,476 Posts
Good for you, Peter!! I'm glad to see a new MasterClass project. I'll be watching your progress with great interest as I know it will result in a beautiful locomotive.

Looking forward to more.

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Winn,

Thanks for the kind comment - I will do my best to live up to it,

It is going to be something to keep me busy for quite a while I suspect.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Hi Peter,

Good to see someone working on a Mason again. Your off to a good start, please keep the photos and progress reports comming. Can you give more info on the drive you are having built?

Chuck

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Chuck,

Not yet as I do not know much about it!

The secernario is that I build the chassis, using David's drawing for a DIY chassis and I think there will be another layer added for strength possibly an extra 1mm sheet.

When I have done that the chassis will go down to our South Coast where there is a steam (Gauge 1) lcomotive and wagon builder - he uses someone who literally makes the gearboxes so will with (I think it was a Maxxon) motor he makes the gearbox to suit the purpose required.

I cannot afford for the loco builder to make the chassis (he is good and that means expensive) and has a long (1 year?) waiting list.

The motor/gearbox will be the same principal as Barry's - that is it will also act as a pivot.

·
Premium Member
6,011 Posts
providing that you can source a motor and gearbox unit
Peter,

I built a chassis last year using conventional smaller-scale techniques. Two pieces of brass strip 1" by 1/16th, one marked with the holes for the axle bearings, then I soldered the edges together and drilled the holes. If you are using one-piece side rods, the recommendation is that you attach the rod material at the same time and pilot drill the rods and chassis simultaneously so they end up the same. As I said, they've been doing this in gauge-O and smaller for years.

The wheels and drive unit came from a pair of Bachmann Big Haulers. The motor unit includes the gearbox, and I see no reason why the motor couldn't be mounted vertically and used as a pivot. I think I uploaded a pic somewhere . .

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Peter,
good to see someone having a go at the big Mason, it will make an impressive model. Looks like you have a good start and with the other bits you have on the way or in stock it should be a fast build, the frames and tender etc. are much the same as the small Mason so you already know how to make them!

If you get stuck with the chassis I can offer to try and do an eight coupled version of the simple chassis I made for my Bogie if you are interested.

Keep us up to date with your progress.

Allan.

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi,

Most of the week I have been working with tiny bits of tube and rod on the firebox, but first I dug out a Bachmann stack that, a long time ago, came from Hans-Jurgen in Germany(‘Vieraka’, on MLS): he had made it into a Nesmith design for his Mason Bogie, with a new top and then changed his mind and made another one – this time though it was a Congdon stack. I added the rivets and the re-painted (a dirty black – yes you can have such a color – there is a fair amount of brown in it).

The result is a very good resemblance and a ‘Thank you’ to Hans is due and freely given; I added the base from the photo of ‘Denver’ and it is made removable by insetting some dowel in the center and that goes into a cross piece tucked inside the boiler tube – here is a photo of it; the flat crosspiece seems slightly sloping – that will be due to the hole being slightly off center! Center it on the hole in the outer smokebox and check it to ensure its straight.
The base of the stack is the same as the Baldwin 2 8 0 and is very ‘British’ in design fill the gap after bending the base to match the smokebox radii with filler and finish it off with a plastic filler – so it can be sanded both smooth and having a multi radius curve to it. I then added the vertical pieces from strip, and again filled the rear edge.

The two white disks are the locations for the front handrail stanchions which will be made much later! The boiler and smokebox were the painted – the boiler is polished aluminum from Humbrol (a white(ish) silver – being a lighter color than ‘polished steel’ in the same range) The silver then being varnished for protection. There is a drawing of the front of the 2 8 6's in Art Wallaces book on Mason locomotives - thay er much simpler than the ones used on the 2 6 6's.

Herea are some photos of the loco - furst of the painted boiler with the new stack

Taken inside as are all the photos in this insatlament, all are just placed in position, nothing is yet fixed.

A slightly 'top view' the headlight is from Hartland, with styrene brackets underneath it. Note the locations for the front (& only) handrail stanchion.The brwon colored disc is for the builders plate, in due course.

The front without the door unit, showing the cross piece that the wood dowel inside the stack fits into, making the stack removable. The massive stack and headlight seem to have given a good presence to the loco - I am very pleased with it so far. I will fix a copuple of cross part circles - each side of the hole that the motor will rise throughh to keep the lead that wuill be fitted inside the boiler in place - easily made from scrap.

Now back to the firebox, this firebox follows the methods in David Fletcher’s original ‘Masterclass’ but is slightly larger. I used a section left over for the curved top and the rest is bits of plastic – lots of bits: no I haven’t counted them but it’s a large number of bits rest assured!.
The steam pipe on these locos seems to be inside the boiler and firebox so is different to the original Mason Bogies; especially that means that the pressure gauge and any assorted pipe work come directly out of the firebox and not the horizontal steam pipe, so the pressure gauge sits directly on the firebox top and the throttle is through the back of the firebox. The pressure gauge has a oil lamp in front of it, made from a small bits of clear rod sanded to shape, then painted a thin white color.

The injectors are made from tiny bits of square plastic section, some weven tinier bits of tube and the pipes are frpm Evergreen plastic 1.5mm rod, bits of wure are added at the end.

This loco has the original ‘Eames’ vacuum brake system so it is a quite different set of pipes in the cab to my last loco which I fitted with air brakes; David documented it all (for the 2 6 6 Bogies) but no steam pipe means some slight alterations en route. The system is a collection of small bits of tube, wire and rod, fitted to the engineers side, and is complete except for the exhaust extension - that will wait till the cab is done but I think it is in the right position. Both this and the main pressure gauge have a printed front that came from Jerry Barnes, also a long time ago – Thanks Jerry) they were dutifully stored on the computer: that was changed and they migrated to the new one – now they have started to be used.
I added to the tray above the fire door an oil can and a small pot of grease. The valve wheels are from a Bachmann big hauler, with small press studs for the injector piping (which is painted white – representing insulation) the rest of the piping is painted copper color on an Indian red base as the copper paint is very thin.

Sat on a pile of CD's which show the size quite well, the light is a little too yellow, but otherwise it is a reasonable impression. The 'Johnson Bar' is made (from styrene ) as stored for future use.

I am going to attempt a chassis from 3 layers of styrene (2, 2 & 1mm) the latter being cut like a bar frame design: I have some 'top hat' brass bearings that are the same bore as the Jim Barron axles to use in the chassis - the 2 8 6 versions added another axle to the 2 6 6 with the same dimenesion between axles (49mm) so a double copy(check the scale to see it is still correct!) has been 'cut and glued'; this will be used to make it from David's original DIY chassis drawings.

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi,

Being a firm believer in the idea that a photo is worth a thousand words here are some photos of what has been made so far in the build.

Most of the subassemblies are complete except for the most complicated – the underframe and valve gear.

The coal load is built around a soft polystyrene core and has a thickish piece of copper wire, which can just be seen, to hook it out. The forward bit of the water legs is slightly narrower to assist i getting it inside the cab; this is quite a big tender.

The cab is one of the original kits by Vance Bass, now available from Doug Bronson, and is the early design Doug also has the later cab designr. I had to trim off some of the wood at the bottom of the rear side windows and the vertical pieces blow them as the tender is larger that the one used on the 2 6 6 ‘s. I am told that the 2 8 6 cab was larger than the 2 6 6 , but thast is not available as a kit!

The cab roof is made and will be removable. The tender deck has also been made and the lower firebox/vacumn brake and frames that fit onto it are also done. The Eames vacumn brake is the unit inside the outer frame rails with a dirty tan color leather bag. The other major unit is still being built is the tender truck is from the kit by Doug Bronson, and is very good, I hope to fit it with some LGB plunger pickups.

Here is the

The underside of the tender deck

Still being bult this is the Doug Bronson kit of the tender truck. The wheels are the Bachmann 31mm diameter ones.

Moving to the front the pilot deck and pilot (also a Doug Bronson kit) are finished; I have added 1mm to each side moving out the cylinders to gain some extra space behind the slide bars: the original 2 6 6 was very tight here (I had to grind off some of the crank pin head) and thus the cross piece for the back of the slide bars will also have to be that 2mm extra width in the center.

Front and rear of the pilot sub assembly.

Finally a couple of photos, with the parts just placed in their locations – isn’t it looong! YES I know there is dip in the second view, it will not be there when all are fitted correctly and bolted in their locations.

Thats all for now

Happy Christmas a Good New Year to all at MLS, from (a co9ld and snowy!) England.

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Peter,
thats great!
nice to see another Masterclass Mason underway!
(I think I might start up my Leviathan project again in 2012, for the 10th anniversary of the Masterclass! ;)

Three known photos of the 8-drivered masons..
they are here:

DSP&P 2-8-6T

Denver, Utah & Pacific RR - Middle Park - 2-8-6T

I just checked the Arthur Wallace book on Mason locomotives,
it only contains one photo..the "Denver" builders photo..same photo that is in the link above.

(anyone know of any other photos?)

Scot

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Scotty,

Thanks for the reply, ; and my apologies for not replying earlier.

yes there is a notable dearth of photos of them, though the pair of DSP photos both have their good points though the one of #240 (in UP black) looks rather sorry for itself!

I wonder why they had a quite short life - the boiler seems to be big enough to provide plenty of steam.

Meanwhile work continues on the building of #28.

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi,

The motor and a 'custom made gearbox has now been fitted into the chassis for my big Mason Bogie

The motor is a Pittman I am told and the surrounding tube for it as seen in the photos; thet tube is 1" in diameter: that will have a 'top hat' shaped bearin g made from plastic tube to hold the chassis inside the boiler just as the system used in the 2 6 6. Barry (of Barrry's Big Trains) has provided some of his special aluminium section which can be used for this purpose.

The chassi is still away, the photos were taken by the fitter of the motor, who also made and fitted some power pickups, and it will be back with me at the end of May.

Here are a couple of his photos

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
I don't know how but I missed this thread the first time through in 2010 but I'm all caught up now! It's looking great! I'll echo everyone else's comments about keeping the pictures coming! You "master modelers" and your projects absolutely make MLS fascinating!! Keep 'em coming!

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi,

The decks have been cleared of the new buildings, my chassis came back with the motor, so work has re-started on the 2 8 6.

Having learnt how to dela with 'roll pins' (squeeze one end with a good pair of pliers, keeping it round so it can be started when feeding it intt the axle hole with a fine nosed pair of pliers. Goto your voce with the chassis and axle; open the vice jaws to allow the chassis to fit inside it with a gap for the roll pin to be fed down. Using a small (we call them toffee hammers) gently tap it in so there is an equal amount top & bottom. Practice firts though on an axle by itself!

I had 3 to fit, and in addition I added some spacing washers as well, especially on the rear axle which is allowed to move up & down; those washers keep the 'top hats' bushes in position, Mine are 20 thou thick. The front axle is also constrained as it will be almost hidden by the valve gear, so just a very small amount of movement is allowed here.

The coupling rods were recovered from storage, and fitted, all was well when I tried the powered chassis on my 'rolling road'.

The last section of the coupling rods has a joint, the bolt holding it will be soldered shut and the excess bolt (which can just be seen behind the crankpin for axle three)rcut off; the coupling rods are made from K&S rectangular tube with the next size up for the sections where they fit onto the wheels - as the photograph of number 28. All the bits are soldered together, with much checking to ensure that I had them correct.

Here is a photo-

a photo from the front, showing the springs now fitted, after the infill pieces to the top of the chassis have been made, (the rear one is missing) and the pilot & cylinders are fixed in place; next will be the valve gea, starting with the rear cross piece.

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
(Awww.....man!!) Peter, I think you have a problem with your photo as it's not coming through. (Blast! I was really looking forward to the picture!)

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Posted By Steve Stockham on 05 Jul 2011 01:43 PM
(Awww.....man!!) Peter, I think you have a problem with your photo as it's not coming through. (Blast! I was really looking forward to the picture!)

Hi Steve, Mmm, I had a suspicion it may not come out - too much rushing to see a TV program - I have had another go and hopefully it will now work.

Sorry about that; more to come!

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Posted By peter bunce on 05 Jul 2011 02:21 PM
more to come!

Yes Please!

Cheers
Neil

1 - 20 of 49 Posts