G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
It's Great Train Expo--GATS ceased to exist back in 2006. They DID advertise in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch a day or two back--didn't read the others since or before, so I'm not sure on whether they did more. I do believe that they run television spots on Friday night, but I don't watch television either.

I visited the show, saw a LOT of large scale. Still looking for a Bachmann K-27 for under $700--for $599 I'd take one instantly.

Only bought an N scale boxcar though...for a lot less than an Aristo or USA one!

Does 18 count as a young guy?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Posted By Les on 02/10/2009 4:14 PM

Robbie,

I can only go by what was printed on the tickets I paid $14 for: 'GATS'. But hey, correcting one's elders is a thing I'm used to--I have a grown son and daughter.
( Granddaughter thinks I'm so cool because I understand her. I should: I raised her mother.)

Not watching TV says good things about you. Reading the PD doesn't.

"... Saw a LOT of large scale..." Please define in some context--as compared to what? My eyesight is failing, I admit. What'd I miss that caught your attention? If you mean 'new in box', NIB, yeah, you're right on, but penury forces me to focus on used stuff.
So, what'd I miss that caught your notice?

"Only bought an N scale boxcar though...for a lot less than an Aristo or USA one!" This is, after all, a LARGE scale board. Yet I hasten to admit, from the many possible takes on my post, that I bought a 'mere' S ga gon, and an 'O scale' gon--but this is because I want narrow gauge, and narrow-narrow gauge to go with my 45mm (G-gauge, though no one can say precisely what that is) in 'F' scale, i.e. 1:20.3. (Though no one can say precisely what that is, once one gets to 'flange angles)
'. So I bought these because I wanted a contextual, or objective sense of the difference between the gauges.

18 counts as good, because I'm really happy to have the young folk aboard. Believe it or not, I like to hear what you have to say and sincerely hope you will continue to address my posts as you see fit.

Les

It was advertised in the newspaper as Great Train Expo--my ticket says ""St Charles Convention Center, The Great Train Expo". According to www.trainshow.us, "GATS Limited, the sponsor of the Great American Train Show ceased business in April of 2006."

Post-Dispatch IS liberal--but is understanding opposing viewpoints not a good thing? I still do read some internet blogs about local news; but a paper newspaper(to this warped young guy) is more interesting to read than just internet news.

Five years ago, I could go to a show and see nothing but N, HO, and a heck of a lot of old Lionel. Any G is better than none in my book, even if it IS new in box. It at least shows that someone thinks there's a market for it, which has not been the case in the not-so-distant past. There were a lot of large engines, which is good; it shows that vendors are trying to support the scale, and they believe somebody will actually go to buy something that large. There being no G-scale oriented store in the area, I consider that to be perhaps the only way for someone in this area to see firsthand the equipment. Seeing it definitely increases the potential buyer base in the future, which the hobby desperately needs(or so I hear).

I started in N scale recently because I wanted some standard gauge to go with my 1:20.3 narrow gauge collection; it was cheaper to build a 3x5 or so foot layout, with a 2-8-2 Mikado, 4-8-2 Mountain, and 20-30 cars, than it would be to buy a single large loco in G. Not to beat up on G; it's still the ultimate if you prefer the larger size and greater detail. However, as the 18-year-old, a whole new set of standard gauge stuff in an incorrect scale(1:29) just rubs me the wrong way, and I can't afford $50 per boxcar if I wanted to. Again, no disrespect to large scale; it's still my first choice for modeling, but at this point in my life I cannot afford a total change in scale for something that expensive.

Criticism is definitely welcomed--I'm a young guy and I still have much to learn about the world

·
Registered
147 Posts
Sounds good to me!
Nope, not much scratchbuilding yet--I'm interested, have plenty of decent quality tools available(table saw, band saw, drill press, etc.) but haven't taken the time. Plan on doing so at some point in the future.

I settled on F scale because, after riding behind it in 1998, I just HAD to have a K-27, and it had to be numbered 463. (didn't hurt that my uncle was seriously into American Flyer and had convinced my own parents to spend some money on a good deal of LGB locomotives and track). Eleven years later, I still don't have a K, and now that I have a job and could potentially afford an Accucraft one, they stopped making it. Oops. I do have a Bachmann 2-8-0 with Sierra sound and a train of AMS freight cars, along with the brass caboose(that I paid $350 for a month before they announced the $125 plastic one).

I may have to get in contact with you--I have a dead Bachmann 4-6-0 that I disassembled in an attempt to fix it...it's in pieces but may be useful to you. Have a few other broken items, but perhaps someday I'll get around to swapping in some new gears and fixing some stuff. Probably after college.

Dismals; I thought according to Thomas and Friends it was "Diseasels?" Either works, I suppose...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.