G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All:

Not sure what it is, maybe historical maps, photos, the geographic location (the family used to live in Monterey, CA), rolling stock construction data (including vintage paint chips), early narrow gauge or what, but in both mine and my father's decent rail book collections, this one has to be one of the best buys in many years. Plus, it was an early birthday present.

The Birth of California Narrow Gauge: A Regional Study of the Technology of Thomas and Martin Carter

The Birth of California Narrow Gauge

A Regional Study of the Technology of Thomas and Martin Carter

Bruce MacGregor

Buy this book

ONLINE RESOURCES Press Release (PDF)

I have not started to "read" (cover to cover) yet, but the bits I have scanned have been wonderful.

·
Super Moderator
411 Posts
My copy is really worn and battered from all the use I've given it. It was central to our Carter Bros coach class, as well as Carters kits that followed. It indeed an excellent book.

David.

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is really funny? My interest in railroads west of the Mississippi is (was?) nearly zilch. The little bit of reading I have done last nite (it is not a good to bed book becuase of size) has started to show my how interesting things were in CA.

Reading this book might be a master class in and of itself, especially for those of us with railroad ADD....:rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts