G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Big Train Show is now accepting displays and vendors from smaller gauges. I guess you gotta do what you gotta do to keep up in this economy.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
I always thought that was wise, to get more converts, I came from baby scales.

·
Super Modulator
21,053 Posts
Since it pretty much fills the hall in Ontario, I'm concerned that there will be fewer large scale vendors.

Well, not to agonize, just have to see how it turns out. Obviously they want to sell more space, or charge more for the space they have.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Errr...Hmmmm...Wow, rather shocked, but I guess you gotta keep the lights on somehow...

Wonder if the economic downturn was having an effect of the number of large scale vendors signing up for the event, guess they're opening it up to try to save the show.

One the one hand I'm glad they're doing what it takes to keep the show afloat, but on the other I'm rather miffed, as I always enjoyed the BTS simply because it was ONLY large scale, and as such it was OUR show, and everyone was always friendly, none of the sour old goat rivet-counting-thats-not-what-I'm-doing-so-it-sucks Grumpzilla's that seam to show up at the smaller scale shows like an unwelcome moth colony in a closet of otherwise nice coats.

I can only hope that it turns out well, I hope we are still going to have a booth this year. On things for sure, it will certainly be different!

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Posted By vsmith on 01/05/2009 12:32 PM
Errr...Hmmmm...Wow, rather shocked, but I guess you gotta keep the lights on somehow...

Wonder if the economic downturn was having an effect of the number of large scale vendors signing up for the event, guess they're opening it up to try to save the show.

When I was at the Anaheim show this weekend, the vendors were really discounting the high buck Accucraft stuff (typically $1,500 and up) with discounts on the order of $500-$800+.

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
Toddalin

Which vendors were doing the discounts on the Accucraft stuff? Engines or rolling stock?

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
I'm not surprised vendors were trying to unload the high end stuff while they can, not good to have alot of pricey high-end high-priced inventory just laying around during a recession that could last 1 or 2 years....not good for your overhead. I expect to see alot more vendors stocking the lower-level lower price stuff, its easier to sell during a recession. Be REAL interesting to see how the manufacturers respond to the new marketplace, I think the BTS situation shows some degree of the changes afoot, diversify or perish...

I'm actually quite surprised that none of that cheap LGB knock-off Newquida stuff hasn't surfaced anywhere else here in the US, of course that could have more to do with the Chinese factory maybe being shut down during the economic poop-hurling festival going on over there right now...

Gary you might want to make an effort to make the Costa Mesa show coming up, might get some good deals if you have the spare coin, as for me, I'm seriously considering a major downscaling of my loco roster
, just needing to get back to basics, nothing more ominous than that

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Posted By vsmith on 01/05/2009 2:40 PM
as for me, I'm seriously considering a major downscaling of my loco roster
, just needing to get back to basics, nothing more ominous than that

I look for SP equipment.

·
Premium Member
5,627 Posts
I think you will see more shows merging with other scales in order to keep the shows afloat. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
2,093 Posts
Oh man....this change sucks. If this news is true, the BTS will turn in a small scale train show in two years is my prediction...since there are no train shows in this part of California. There are three other shows in Southern Cal (Del Mar, Anaheim, Ventura)...but they're closer to the coast. The beauty of the BTS was just that....BIG TRAINS....not BIG SHOW.

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
Mike,

I hope your prediction doesn't come true, but I have the same gut feeling as you do.

·
Registered
58 Posts
ALL scale train show!!!

We already have the TCA in York Pennsylvania, & Gats (Great American Train show).

Are they going to start selling R/C cars & computers too, like our GATS show did.

I think you are RIGHT, the Big Train Show is doomed.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Dang! This could well be the last "B"ig Train Show for me then, I'll be darned if I am going to travel half way round the world to see small trains. It will be the NGRS in the future, where ere they be.
Now if there was only something else to see around Nebraska.........................................?

Rod

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Sorry to see that happen! It's kind of nice to attend events that are dedicated to Large Scale only, just as there are a few that are primarily O or some other scale.

It will be awfully hard for an "all scales" show to compete effectively with the Worlds Greatest Hobby On Tour shows, which really know how to promote their events. The most recent one in Pennsylvania reportedly drew such huge crowds during its two-day run that police had to close some access points on roads leading to the venue and many thousands apparently never made it to the show at all due to the jammed-up traffic. All-scale shows are a dime a dozen in some parts of the country, so the Big Train Show is probably heading on a downhill slide.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
I'm betting it'll be no time before this becomes the west coast version of the "Big E" train show in New England .... some large scale vendors, a modular or two to be sure, but primarily HO and Lionel. Too bad it's losing its identity; there are PLENTY of shows for smaller scale people, and only a couple for we large scalers.

Matthew 9OV)

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Hey Stan you can always run it on this:

Doing our part to help downsize American Garden Railroading!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts