G Scale Model Train Forum banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
Got it by going to this page:

http://www.lionel.com/CustomerService/findex.cfm

And choosing "order replacement parts" and then entering 4-4-2 Atlanitc. It's the first one that comes up

And entering "4-4-2-Atlantic" There's an option to open the exploded photo and part numbers are given.

6301122200 - SMOKE UNIT ASSEMBLY / 6 ohm ANALOG

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Are you going to order the Lionel one then? I'd like to hear how wll it works. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
I would not really know how to hook it up. But I'd like to get something better than the aristo units, which crap out after two minute. I've completely given up on them

I looked agan--there's a photo of the actual part. I think that's the TAStudios generator

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
Well, it might be made by TAS, but it's not the current / last design they sold for at least 5 years... that is the one in my picture... the housing is different, the microprocessor is in a different spot, and it says Lionel on the circuit board.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Well Cougar it looks good so may try that one as they are close by and I can just drive over to them and pick one up. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
I got one of the Harbor units that arrived today. After getting it and Im wondering how it can be put anyplace and be able to add fuel to it if you put any kind of extension on the smoke output orifice.
Any suggestions would be appreiated. Im a foll for differnt gadgets. Old F---T.

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
Would you mind giving us the actual measurements of the unit, including the fan? The web site lists as .75 x .75 x .6" .... I can see from the photo that's not possible.

I would think you could easily put a pipe on it and extend it, because the videos on their site show extensions, with 1/2" brass pipe. You might also be able to remote the fluid, but my thoughts would be to locate in the tender and run a flexible tube up to the smoke stack. You probably need some heat resistant tubing.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
I have a MTH smoke unit installed in a Bachman ten wheeler.but I can't run it on my indoor layout as it fills the room with smoke in short order. Unfortunately its not in time with the Phoenix chuff

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
Greg
It measures about 2 inches on each side, is about 1 1/2 inches deep . That is without the fan,that adds about 1 1/2 inches width. It is not small. Looks like it would fit in cab of the three truck shat.
I plan on putiing it in a pair of Alco that I have battery powered and have a dedicated power source for the smoke unit since i have a loot of room in the units. Will see.

·
Registered
938 Posts

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
Worth mentioning that you need to convert to DCS to run the MTH unit if you want chuffing.

It's not a competition, but that Harbor Models puts out even more if "best" means "most smoke"

The MTH units are indeed nice, but I heard they are almost impossible to buy by themselves. Has the situation changed or do I have bad data?

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Sorry Guys.... being a new boy here I diverted from the original thread..... BUT WOW! What system/kit are you using Chuck? I've never seen & heard anything so realistic - apart from the real thing!

Regards
Bob

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
Maybe it wasn't worth mentioning.... ha ha ha...

See where I mentioned the MTH unit running under DCS.... MTH locomotive come with that smoke unit, and the Digital Command System (DCS) is thier proprietary control system that also controls the fan speed in the smoke unit.

Greg

·
Registered
93 Posts
DCS seems to be far and above all other systems including Battery, Sorry just the way i see it. A freind of mine just received a Quote from a local RCS dealer and well 1500.00 per loco is insane ? Just goes to show dont always beleive whats advertised above? I'l stick with track power. Seems to be the Best way to get my train fix.

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Got my Harbor models smoker today!!
Here we go with the install into the BMANN K27(TAS quit working)
Now comes the ? Using the aristo revo and their smokeboard will put almost full track voltage to the harbor unit(it says 12volt and use of 2amp /hr )
so i will use the Bmann smoke electronic (12 volt)and connect the Harbor unit to it. Will the output (unknown)have anough amps to handle that and if it starts smoking elsewhere besides the smoke stack,where would the weak spot be?
2nd ?! What do i need to reduce the track voltage to 12volt and 2amps ? Is something on the marked i can buy or is there a parts list and a plan how to do that?

No there is not enough room in the k27 boiler to mount that baby unless i cut off(or obtain an unassembled one) the fan and remount it!!
So the tender will carry the smoker ,a black soft hose will connect the loco+tender all the way to the smoke stack (coupling between tender and loco)
Manfred Diel

21 - 40 of 83 Posts