G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got one for my Aristo Mallet but it would not fit in the boiler, just a little to large. So I put it in the tender and ran a black hose from the tender to the stack and it works great. It runs under the cab so it looks like a coal feeder. To be able to seperate the tender I cut the tubing and slipped in a small 3/8 length of brass tubing to act as a splice. I get about 45 min on a fill and about 4 foot plume of smoke wind or not. Jake

www.harbormodels.com look under hardware then smoke unit

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Looks like it's a bit pricey. It does put out the smoke tho. later RJD

·
Super Modulator
20,510 Posts
Well, MTH just took second fiddle!

That is huge... 2 amps at 12 volts though, that's too much current for the battery guys.

Regards, Greg

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Posted By Greg Elmassian on 16 Jan 2010 08:51 PM
Well, MTH just took second fiddle!

That is huge... 2 amps at 12 volts though, that's too much current for the battery guys.

Yeah two amps seems high draw. But then what kind of batteries are those boat models using?

This new smoke unit would be even better with a chuff puff sync feature. Probably not going to happen given the intended model boat market.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Well I may just bit the bullet and buy one and do some test with it and see what I can install it in. Just a little concerned tho about the amount of current it draws. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
I too looked at the harbour freight product and again the current draw is worrying.However, looking further into the model boat scene I Googled Model smoke generators and came up with loads of interesting stuff,some quite frightening!Some of the guys in the boating world are using mist generators with great results,these use a fast oscilating ceramic diaphram to produce a water mist.The downside so far though is the depth of reservoir needed to work the thing but maybe a thing for the future,
Regards
David

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tested with the amp/voltage meter I got from Tony's Trains and if its accurate at 18v it draws at .87 amps not two that it says on the web site. I use a constant 18v and all engines have QSI/G-Wire set up. I want to do a kit bash and add a second stack to the mallet the volume of smoke I get can handle it. Jake

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Well that info is a little better. So I will order one and Yep I'll figure a way to install in the boiler of the Mallet. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
Please let us know what they say about a chuff feature
Here's what I sent them:

Questions:
1. Does it shut off when the fluid runs out?
2. Can you mount it at an angle (e.g. sideways,) i.e. is the tank almost sealed?
3. Do you think we can make it "puff" by triggering the fan intermittently (with pulses) ?

Here's what I got back from Harbormodels:

The unit will not turn off automatically when the fluid runs out.
It cannot be set at much of an angle as the fluid will get into the fan
If the fan is turned off for mom than a few seconds, the unit will melt

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
Considering the power requirements, the amount of fluid and the heat generated, it would seem that this particular smoke unit would be more suited to a high-end brass engine like an Accucraft. If something were to go wrong and the unit melted, a plastic tender wouldn't have a chance whereas the brass tender would survive.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Yes that would be a concern of melting the boiler also. Not much of a price difference between the Harbor and the Massoth units. Lets see if anyone has bough the Massoth and tested for volume of smoke. Later RJD

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Posted By aceinspp on 19 Jan 2010 11:42 AM
Yes that would be a concern of melting the boiler also. Not much of a price difference between the Harbor and the Massoth units. Lets see if anyone has bough the Massoth and tested for volume of smoke. Later RJD

Ive got one of the Massoth units on order for my AML 0 6 0 that has a QSI card in it. I cant use the MTH units that i like so i hope this one will smoke decent? is a bit pricey.. i hope it doesnt take LGB smoke fluid, that would break my bank

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
I saw a Massoth working at the NGRC in Denver. It looked good, but not as much smoke as the unit that started this thread. It does have the sync'd chuff and puff, which was very nice. Can't remember if it had specific fluid requirements.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts