G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
405 Posts
She's a Porter, photo at the Huckelberry RR, Flint. I dont think the loco runs there, might have just had rebuild work done there. This has come up before about her similarity to Indy, she sure has the lines. Bachmann state a recently returned Bladwin United Fruit 2-6-0 as being the prototype for their Indy, however I would say 'Inspiration' for their Indy rather than Prototype. The Industrial 2-6-0 is actually a 1:22.5 scale model of Hawaii #5, a neat Baldwin 2-4-2 which Bachmann produced in the late 1980s. They added the 2-6-0 chassis to it, but little other change and sold it as 1:20. The cab was tiny even at 1:22.5..thats why your wood cab addition in 'Model Making' really does a good thing to this engine.

If you go to Articles and masterclasses above, and follow the links to 'Steam Class'. In the background sections of either CH2 or Ch4 is a history of the Hawaii #5 with lots of prototype photos and photos recent as well as old.

David.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The location of the shot is the Huckleberry Railroad outside of Flint Michigan.

#3 is a Porter built 2-6-0 that was too small for the Huck and was later sold to Toby's Resturant and Mission Creek RR in Minnesota.  It now resides at a museum in Japan.

#2 is still in service at the Huck lettered as US 152.  She was built for the US goverment to run on the Tanana Valley RR until they finished the bridge at Nenana.  

The Diesel in back is also a Porter product built for USG #1203.  She blew the side out of her block in 1990 and was replaced by a GE 52 ton steel mill special.  The 1203 has a new block and job as backup for the Georgetown Loop.  

I belive the photo is before 1981 when 464 arrived.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I give up.
I tried 4 times, with the proper brackets and all, the photo shows as a red X in a box.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yes the 1203 is at the Sumpter waiting for a truck to Colorado.  

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Shows for me, but looks like a low res photo stretched too big.

Cool shot.

My college roommate used to work summers as a fireman on the Huckleberry. He tried to arrange for the 2 of us to work on a 2 month steam excursion tour one summer. He let me read his "Basic Steam Locomotive Maintenance" published in 1923.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts