G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GaryGJ has upgraded to 1st Class because SRW "Scott", Chuck n, and Jerry Barnes alerted the MLS community that a new guy in western Colorado was seeking help starting up in the hobby and the results were quick and most satistying. Ron Senek responded within 48 hours! So...thanks fella's! Your enthusiasm and demonstration of camaraderie within the group convinced me that 1st Class was very worthwhile personally, and would also benefit the greater community. Also an extended thanks to all who welcomed me aboard and provided essential basic information. You all know that I'll require more elementary education as time goes by!

Ron Senek resides locally, was informed about me, and quickly responded with an invite to visit. Have now met Ron, and his bride Holly, visiting their home, garden railroad layout and shop. He is very personable, knowledgeable, innovative, and more than willing to share, instruct, and educate. He certainly is a credit to the hobby and the MLS community. It is a thrill to set foot on his property...so much deja 'vu for this old railroader...it is quite an experience.

Once again...thanks to all!

Gary Barnes

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
Gary:

I'm glad that you have hooked up with Ron.

When we see a question from a newcomer to the hobby, I always try to encourage them to say where they live. Some do and some don't. Your thread is a great example of how locals can help a newcomer along with the virtual friends you will find here on MLS.

I'm glad that you upgraded your membership. It will make it easier to post pictures of your progress.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
GaryGJ,

Glad to hear you are meeting largescale guys in your area and decided to upgrade.
I went to Jim Crawley's open house this Saturday in Greer, SC, and got to hang out and watch trains run on his impressive layout and talk with about a dozen other large scale modelers. As always, I came away with several new ideas to help with my future modeling efforts. Every time i go to someone's home and see how they "do it" at their place I never fail to come away with about a dozen new ideas that made the time and gas to get there well worth the effort, on top of the enjoyment of hanging out with people who dig the same hobby I enjoy. Sharing ideas on the internet is really great and someone thousands of miles away from you that you otherwise never would be able to meet might help you solve a problem you have with your model trains but it seems when i get to visit other people's layouts it's even more satisfying. I not only come away with great new ideas but also enjoyed a chance to meet good people and their spouses and friends and neighbors. Forums like this enable us to more easily get together and create new acquaintances and establish a better network. Before the internet you only got to meet people in your hobby by joining local clubs or a chance meeting with another hobbyist at work, or at your LHS, or maybe a local trainshow. I'm glad to hear MLS helped you meet some good people in your area like it has for me.

Scott

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Posted By SRW on 18 Sep 2012 08:30 PM
GaryGJ,

Glad to hear you are meeting largescale guys in your area and decided to upgrade.
I went to Jim Crawley's open house this Saturday in Greer, SC, and got to hang out and watch trains run on his impressive layout and talk with about a dozen other large scale modelers. As always, I came away with several new ideas to help with my future modeling efforts. Every time i go to someone's home and see how they "do it" at their place I never fail to come away with about a dozen new ideas that made the time and gas to get there well worth the effort, on top of the enjoyment of hanging out with people who dig the same hobby I enjoy. Sharing ideas on the internet is really great and someone thousands of miles away from you that you otherwise never would be able to meet might help you solve a problem you have with your model trains but it seems when i get to visit other people's layouts it's even more satisfying. I not only come away with great new ideas but also enjoyed a chance to meet good people and their spouses and friends and neighbors. Forums like this enable us to more easily get together and create new acquaintances and establish a better network. Before the internet you only got to meet people in your hobby by joining local clubs or a chance meeting with another hobbyist at work, or at your LHS, or maybe a local trainshow. I'm glad to hear MLS helped you meet some good people in your area like it has for me.

Scott

Yes, I certainly agree with your opinion of visiting with others in the hobby and viewing their layouts, etc. Fortunate that you were able to attend an open house - really gets the juices a'flowin'. I had that same experience at Ron Senek's place...even tho' it was only he and I, his shop, and layout. Of course, everything is new to me so, I was on overload about halfway through the length of my visit! It wasn't long before I appreciated his patience!

Thanks for your interesting commentary.

Have included a pic of my '65 Pontiac Tempest Wagon - GTO'ed

Gary

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
I've known Ron & Holly for quite a few years now. Better folks you'd be hard pressed to find. Ron doesn't say much, but when he does... listen. He'll be a tremendous asset for you.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Posted By Dave F on 20 Sep 2012 07:21 AM
I've known Ron & Holly for quite a few years now. Better folks you'd be hard pressed to find. Ron doesn't say much, but when he does... listen. He'll be a tremendous asset for you.
Dave...I think they will appreciate your endorsement - I certainly agree with you. Ron might have been a little more talkative around me...I was speechless while gaping!

Gary

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Posted By chuck n on 18 Sep 2012 08:45 AM
Gary:

I'm glad that you have hooked up with Ron.

When we see a question from a newcomer to the hobby, I always try to encourage them to say where they live. Some do and some don't. Your thread is a great example of how locals can help a newcomer along with the virtual friends you will find here on MLS.

I'm glad that you upgraded your membership. It will make it easier to post pictures of your progress.

Chuck

Chuck...

Yes, your encouragement, as you know, has already proven invaluable to me. I'm pleased to share the results so that all members/visitors on the site can recognize the benefits available if one is willing to accommodate and participate.

Post pictures?...Progress?...AwwGeez!

Thanks, again Chuck!

Gary

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Posted By Jerry Barnes on 18 Sep 2012 08:24 AM
Gary, us Barnes' have to stick together! Ron will be a great asset to you as you build your layout.
Jerry...

Thanks for the greeting. My dad and his 3 siblings were born and raised in Clay Center, KS. They are gone now...don't know of any other Barnes' from that family.
I certainly do look forward to the help that Ron has offered. It'll be fun!

Gary

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Thanks for the kind words Gary. I'm glad I played a minor role in your meeting good people in your area. I hope you can get your garage layout up an running soon. "Just go for it"
would be my words of encouragement. Get some benchwork up and a couple of feet of track and an engine and a few cars running. From there, it will take on a life of its own and grow. Don't worry about building anything as grand as what other folks who have been doing it for years have at their homes. I ride motorcycles and there's a saying among bikers that goes something like; "It's not what you ride, but that you ride." I think you'll find that holds true with large scale model railroading too.

Tonight I'm arguing with a 40 year old N scale diesel that for the last 2 months ran pretty perfectly but tonight...not so much. I need to get my large scale trains up and running soon. I find it less fiddly than this ancient N scale stuff. [sigh] i've lubed, cleaned, sanded rails...but still find the "N scale Gods" to be a more capricious lot than the large scale "powers that be".

Scott

1 - 11 of 11 Posts