G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The biggest objection to the new forum software that I see comming is the fact that the it doesn't seem to respond to setting the size of the text via the browser window. That is going to upset a lot of individuals.

The only thing that currently seems to respond is WHOAH!!  What happened?? everything else on the page remains unchanged.

Another thing that seems out of sequence, is the default font size is smaller than the xx-small size that you can select in the [blue]Size[/blue] dropdown list.

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
I do see changes, but they are very slight. And some text seems to change more than others. Also the change seems to be mainly in height.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It seems that the the default text size is the only one that doesn't respond to resizing by the browser window, any one selected in the dropdown list does respond. However one must remember to make a "Size selection" first because the Size selection is blank.

On the "Quick Reply" box there's no "Preview", text size selection, or "Cancel" capability, which I would think to be a short comming.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Cannot seem to edit original post, at least with smileys(frowny is what I was really after)

I use opera and a simple pressing of the numeric keypad + key enlarges the whole screen.
HOWEVER I then get scroll bars I prefer NOT to have.
One of my main reasons for using opera is the ability to use simple key strokes that allowed me to AVOID USING THE MOUSE!
My most used Opera keystrokes are the z to go back one screen, X to go forward, and the + for magnifying the entire screen(* returns to the default screen size). I suffer from something like carpal tunnel syndrome from years of CAD puck work, and so do not want to be holding onto mice for screen movements. I have switched mouse from preferred right hand to left hand use back before 1992, so this is not a new problem to me.

I tend to use the Quicik Reply choice as it is/was less mouse work. I may have to pick up the mouse now to get the full reply choices.

Smiley choices seem to blank out the post, as least post does not show up with the smiley when I tried to edit my first post.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Trying from Firefox and I now get the full editing screen. Opera 9.5 Beta did not.

Let's see if the smileys work/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gif

Seem to, but it is disconcerting to have the screen visibly blink with the smiley is added.

Nice to have more editing choices. Maybe they were all there before, but did not show up while I used Opera.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
In Firefox at 4:01 EST, Font size has either been fixed, or the tiny font I was seeing is Opera dependent.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Just playing

xx-small

x-small

small

medium

large

x-large

xx-large

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
In CHAT, Bruce Chandler mentioned for Firefox browser, try the CTRL-+ set of key strokes, and that works in Firefox.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Also use Opera, so will have to fiddle a bit. The gray text would be my main complaint. Don't really use the smileys all that much. If the changes make the site more user-friendly and give Shad fewer headaches, then I"m all for it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yep, the grey text is hard to read. Certainly on the laptop. Plain black is still the easiest.

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
OK, if you delete your cache and restart your browser, the text should start showing up in black.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Hi Shad,

How do I delete my cache so as to get to the black font.

Llyn

·
Premium Member
2,093 Posts
Trying to find out how I can save a text size for me.  It seems it keeps the Font selection of Arial I selected....but NOT the size setting.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
OK, if you delete your cache and restart your browser, the text should start showing up in black.

Yes, that's better.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Forum titles need to be bold, or slightly larger font - As it is, hard to pick them out from the text. Light blue or light gray background would make the amount of whitespace much less glaring...  Visually, the layout is much less effective than the original.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts