G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a cold March 2nd in 1836 at a little village called Washington on the Brazos 54 delegates met and declared Texas independence from Mexico and established a new nation the Republic of Texas. This as the Alamo was under siege by Santa Ana and thousands of Mexican troops. The Alamo fell 4 days later on March 6th with the death of all the defenders. Texas won it's independence April 21st at the battle of San Jacinto and remained an independent nation until it's annexation into the United States in 1845.

http://texana.texascooking.com/texasindependenceday.htm

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
I sure as heck wish I had retired to the Hill Country when I retired from the service. Just north of San Antonio and South of Dallas. Also note that a Wm Carrol Crawford was one of the signers of the Texas Declaration of Independence. Crawford's are rebels to the core.
Noel in The Communist State of Maryland

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Noel
Your words draw me back to the home place in the Hill Country right near the "heart of Texas!" So, Crawford Tx might have some family connection....and all this time I thought you were pure Corn Husker heritage.

Vision of the home place with the original homestead made from the limestone still standing after all these years along with the live oak log barn:

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Chuck,
We Crawford's don't stay in one place too long..Might grow roots. We are thicker than fleas on a ole hound dog. Never know when you will run into one. A Crawford signed the Texas Declaration of Independence and a Thomas Crawford died at the Alamo. Don't know if they were kin but they sure as heck were Texans..God Bless Them. I fell in love with Texas in '66 when I went to Officers Basic at Ft Sam Houston. Really wish I had gone back but then I wouldn't have all the friends I have here.
N

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Noel
Go West.... even if it is/was the "Midwest" seems to have common roots for many that built this country. Just missed crossing paths in the 60's when we were stationed at Lackland AFB.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Posted By Charles on 03/03/2009 6:46 PM
Noel
Your words draw me back to the home place in the Hill Country right near the "heart of Texas!" So, Crawford Tx might have some family connection....and all this time I thought you were pure Corn Husker heritage.

Vision of the home place with the original homestead made from the limestone still standing after all these years along with the live oak log barn:

Well said Charles and a great picture of the hill country.

·
Premium Member
2,071 Posts
John needs to fire up the BBQ and get the brisket going. I'll bring the fruit punch.

Fort Hood, 1986-1990. Lived in Goergetown

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Posted By Steve S. on 03/03/2009 9:44 PM
Remember the Alamo!!

Sure, but you have to give equal time to Hertz, Avis, and Rent-a-Wreck.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Posted By astrayelmgod on 03/03/2009 10:22 PM
The only problem with Texas is that it is full of Texans....

As opposed to California being full of Californicators??

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Posted By Duncan on 03/03/2009 10:28 PM
Posted By astrayelmgod on 03/03/2009 10:22 PM
The only problem with Texas is that it is full of Texans....

As opposed to California being full of Californicators??

When I moved from Indiana to Iowa, my new brother-in-law asked me, "People in Indiana are called Hoosiers, what do they call people in Iowa... Iowiennees?"

I was laughing so hard I could not tell him the term is Hawkeyes... often more correctly pronounced "Hawg-eyes".

1 - 16 of 16 Posts