G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Modulator
21,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
An example Aristo Craft Santa Fe stock car (aka cattle car).

Shown below is a side view of the Aristo Santa Fe (ATSF) stock car, ART-46106, within its black box. This example car is NOT bright red, - rather, it appears to me it is somewhat closer to a maroon color. This car can be described as "New Old Stock" when I first got it, and it is made in the Aristo-Craft China factory.

Show below are end views of the car and its black box.

Shown below is the car like the first time I received it having a factory installed square shaped "Santa Fe" scripted plaque located on the right upper side of the car.

(Note the pictures will show that I have retrofitted this car with lowered floor and metal wheels. Also, this China factory made car originally came with black color truck side frames as seen here - unlike the older Korean factory made cars that had gray color side frames.)

Shown below is the other side of the car having a missing square shaped ATSF plaque that one would have expected to be located on the right upper side of the car, too. (I suspect the missing plaque was not intentional.)

For those folks that are concerned with prototypes - having checked several books for prototype pictures of ATSF stock cars - I have yet to locate ATSF stock cars being any other than brown in color and the cars were not shown having plaques on their sides.

·
Super Modulator
21,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, I know you cannot see it, and I let my LYSOL subscription lapse, so I do not see them either. I was more testing the cutting and pasting of text from another word processor, and just happened to have a source file from Ted, was hoping to make it mess up...

I'll delete it and try some other stuff.

By the way, I've confirmed that control C and control V for copy and paste do not work in the new WYSIWYG editor, but it works with FireFox in other WYSIWYG editors. Seems those control codes are blocked out. Interesting.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
G

http://www.largescaleonline.com/eimages/lsolpics/Aristo-Craft_Forums/Forum_Pics/AristoATSFsantaFeStockCarART46106sideWithMissingPlackView_IM000462.jpg

The following link is the redirect to the LSOL/Aristo for the request generated by clicking the image URL link above, comming from the MLS server, however if I simply copy the above image URL manually into separate instance of the MS/IE browser on my system the image is accessed and displayed without problem.

http://www.lsol.com/images/2004/aconly.gif

The following text (i.e. the one with just a single paragraph) was copied from MS/Word & pasted into the MLS editor using FireFox v2.0.0.11, however, you are correct Greg I had to use the browser's Edit menu and the Paste selection because the {Ctrl+V} keyboard didn't function.

But the second section of the text (i.e. the one that contains two paragraphs) below was again copied from MS/Word and pasted into the MLS editor using MS/Internet Explorer v6.0.2800 SP1, and there the {Ctrl+V} keyboard key combination did function.
A Freelance
Narrow Gauge Business Car
(Based on the Rio Grande Southern “Edna/San Juan&8221;)" src="http://www.mylargescale.com/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/wink.gif" align="absMiddle" border="0" />
BY
Don ‘Doc’ Watson
Great Falls, VA
USA

Web Site: MyLargescale.com
Forum: MasterClass & Articles
Topic Title: Docs Private Car
MLS User ID: docwatsonva
Posted: 31 Jul 2004: 13:21:28
(Edited by - docwatsonva on 16 May 2005 12:15:44)
INTRODUCTION: The Long-Term Project Begins

Ever since I’ve been modeling in large scale, I’ve wanted to build a private car. You know one that is typically owned by the railroad owner or senior executive and dragged along behind some freight consist. At first, before 1:20.3 became so popular, I considered kit-bashing a couple of Bachmann coaches in 1:22.5 like Theron Bailey’s wonderful Bachmann-based private cars he showed at the last ECLSTS. Kevin Strong’s fantastic scratch built EBT combine has also spurred me on.

A Freelance
(Based on the Rio Grande Southern “Edna/San Juan”)
BY
Don ‘Doc’ Watson
Great Falls, VA
USA

Ever since I’ve been modeling in large scale, I’ve wanted to build a private car. You know one that is typically owned by the railroad owner or senior executive and dragged along behind some freight consist. At first, before 1:20.3 became so popular, I considered kit-bashing a couple of Bachmann coaches in 1:22.5 like Theron Bailey’s wonderful Bachmann-based private cars he showed at the last ECLSTS. Kevin Strong’s fantastic scratch built EBT combine has also spurred me on.

With the advent of 1:20.3 and the availability of kits at that scale, especially the ones made by Hartford, I decided it was time to reconsider the project. Since the majority of my 1:20.3 kits and other, commercial cars are D&RGW, I figured that the private car should resemble cars of that railroad. The one thing I definitely wanted to avoid was making an exact replica. That’s too difficult at my skill level and, besides, I didn’t want the ‘rivet counters’ to have a field day with the results of my effort. However, I am a stickler for details so whatever I came up with had to look real enough to be believable.

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
But I beleive you can right click on the editor and choose paste in the menu.. There should also be a button for pasting which will let you paste too..

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
To be sure, there is all of that, it's just curious that the {Ctrl+V} key combination won't work in FireFox, yet will in MS/IE.

Also noticed that in the menu choices that are available when you click the editor's Paste button; there's a difference in the resulting text when using the straight paste and the Paste From Word option. When using the exact same text stored in the clipboard, and it isn't consistent in what it does. For example the first test below was done with the straight Paste (either the {Ctrl+V} key combination or the editor's paste tool first option), the second was made using the editor's Paste From Word option.

Most notable is the lack of 'bolding' in the second example on the 'A Freelance Narrow Gauge Business Car', 'BY', 'Don 'Doc' Watson', and the varience in text point size e.g. '(Based on the Rio Grande Southern "Edna/San Juan")'

First example:

A Freelance
(Based on the Rio Grande Southern “Edna/San Juan&8221;)
BY
Don ‘Doc’ Watson
Great Falls, VA
USA

Ever since I’ve been modeling in large scale, I’ve wanted to build a private car. You know

The Second Example:

A Freelance

BY

Don ‘Doc’ Watson

Great Falls, VA
USA

Ever since I’ve been modeling in large scale, I’ve wanted to build a private car. You know

Another thing that I noticed, is the option to 'Paste As HTML' is actually a bit useless since the tool isn't available when in the HTML view, and if used in the normal view it doesn't get translated until the reply is Submitted for posting.

A Freelance
BY
Don ‘Doc’ Watson
Great Falls, VA
USA

·
Super Modulator
21,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, a bit strange. And yes, Shad, the windows "contextual menu" (right click) has paste and copy, etc.

So, no problem, just some erratic behaviour, that I believe is FireFox.... IE does not have the problem, and it is the defacto standard other browser's functions are measured by. (Amazing when you think about history, and NetScape had the whole market at one time)

I do appreciate the new WYSIWYG editor, do not think for one moment I do not!

If I had a minor peeve, it's the smilies seem kind of lame... I like the repertoire we have on chat much better!

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
I am the author of the test subject, "An example Aristo Craft Santa Fe stock car (aka cattle car)", and came across the Firefox copy / paste to WYSIWYG editor problem and worked with Greg on this.

So I presume I am stuck with using IE as Firefox is erratic with respect to the WYSIWYG editor and when using the keyboard CTL V for paste.
As to WYSIWYG, it's not always what you see is what you get, too. (NAWYSIWYG)

Thanks for everyone's recognition of these issues and help;

-Ted

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Having written editors in the past, I understand the complexity ;)

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Using IE Browser and copy / paste from the Jarte editor into this wysiwyg editor that includes images with the img tags do not show when using this wysiwyg "Preview". However, if "Submit" is executed, the images do show. Also, unwanted double line spacing takes place.

-Ted

·
Super Modulator
21,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ted, notice your post is in a different font? Times new roman is specified in that part.

How did you create it, and did you add the last line later?

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Greg,

I have no idea as I just typed into the editor and did nothing else.

At any rate, from working with these wysiwyg editors, I think it is more oriented for origination of material and not at all suited (or likely meant) for pasted material. It's what you don't see is what you get, too, and to fix it seems to necessitate going to the HTML option - going back and forth to "norma"l as needed. Just too much time & frustration.

Likely you noticed my first "vignette" about the Aristo MKT car on the products review Forum.
What I did as a precursor was to select all with the Jarte source file then make sure all the fonts were set the same - even though they all looked OK. Then I copied / pasted into the MLS wyisiwyg editor. It turned out reasonable, but with unwanted line spacing. But I just left it as it was not worth the time to change it - and then there is the risk of getting wrapped around the axle so to speak of unintentionally messing something else up in the process.
Another unfriendly thing about the wysiwyg editior here is it won't preview the tagged pictures - you have to submit before you can see the pictures.

-Ted

-Ted

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Greg, Ted,

In trying to come up with an efficient manner to transfer what is created in a Jarte word-processing document and put it in a reply in the MLS editor, following is a description the process that I've devised. While from the following explanation of what I've come up with, it may seem very complicated. The fact is, it takes a great many words to explain something fairly simple and that takes but a few seconds to actually perform once understood.

In the testing I was using the basic Jarte program (i.e. v3.3), not the Jarte Plus version, but in looking at the stated differences between the two programs I don't see where that should really make a difference. As an aside, Jarte uses the IRun v1.22 RTF-to- XML/HTML application extension (i.e. a .dll file extension) by Pilot Software Ltd. to do the export function.

First off, in looking at how an image is stored in Jarte, unlike say MS/Word there is no record stored internally in the document that an image was pasted in from an on line source, locally from some location on the users system, or created from within the document. The image is actually stored within the document without any reference to where it originally came from. It's assigned an internal ID by the Jarte application so that the correct image can be retrieved from its storage location within the document file and placed in the correct position within the document when viewed and/or printed. So attempting to simply copy and paste an image from a Jarte document into the MLS editor will result in the little square with a red x in it.

The best way to deal with images that you want to transfer from a Jarte document into the MLS editor, is to include the image's URL in the Jarte document, in the position you want the image to appear. The previous statement assumes of course that the image files are already uploaded to a server (e.g. MLS 1st Class Web Space). If the images are still located on your local system then substitute the local path to the file for the URL. That way it will be easier when using the 'Upload' feature available within both the 'Image Gallery' & 'Insert Image' dialogs. If it makes it easier for you to write the commentary you can also include the actual image in the Jarte document, but it will cause you more work later on when creating your reply in the editor.

Second, in testing for the best way to maintain the formatting of the textual portion of the document. I've tried simply copying and pasting text from a Jarte document into various HTML WYSIWYG editors including the MLS editor and the results have remained pretty much the same, basically not very good. Which to me, points more to an inadequacy in Jarte than in the respective editors. Then again, that's one of the wonderful things about 'standards' there are so many to choose from (e.g. HTML v4.01, HTML v5.0, XHTML v1.0 etc. etc.), and then there's always the various manners in which any given standard can be interpreted and implemented by someone.

The best method that I've discovered to maintain the text formatting entails a bit more work, but it does accurately retain the text formatting. On the Jarte File menu, there is the Save Other > Export As HTML... option. Using this option and creating a HTML document file from the Jarte word processing document, then using Jarte itself to open the HTML document, copying the required HTML code and finally pasting the copied HTML code into the MLS editor's content area while in the HTML view. Has thus far in my testing accurately kept the text formatting intact.

Before starting the process, I would suggest that you create a 'Working Folder' where you can temporarily store the intermediate files and such. So that when you're done it's easy to get rid of every thing. This step gains more importance as the number of actual images you include in the Jarte word-processing document. This is because when you export the Jarte document to the HTML format, every image is extracted and placed in its own stand alone file in the same folder that you create the HTML document.

The following is a step-by-step description of the process.
[*] Step One: Create your Jarte document.

Notice that in this example I've kept things simple. There's only three lines of text with a blank line between them. Mainly that's to keep everything visible in the example screen shots. As usual it's a good idea to save the original before going to far.

[*] Step Two: Export the Jarte word-processing document in HTML format.

To export the document, point to the File menu button, after the menu displays point to the Save Other item, finally point to and left-click the Export As HTML... option. Next, the normal Save As dialog displays, navigate to the 'working folder' you created earlier. Give the file a name, in this case it has to be a single word name and if you use the drop-down list you'll see the Jarte will suggest the addition of a '.lnk' suffix. Note this isn't the file extension which will be '.htm' which you may or may not see depending on how you've got your system configured (assuming some flavor of MS/Windows).

[*] Step Three: The new HTML document is displayed in a browser window.

This step is automatically taken by Jarte, a new browser window is opened displaying the new HTML document so you can see what it looks like. All that you really need to do is just close the browser window.

[*] Step Four: Open the HTML document and copy required HTML code.

Next, on a new tab we open the HTML document with Jarte. Since we've kept everything real simple we can see the complete HTML document's code within the above screen shot. All we need to do is select all of the text between the two data tags (i.e. the two items highlighted in red). In the normal course of events there will likely be much more code found between these two tags, but the process remains the same. After selecting the required text just right-click somewhere within the blue shaded area and when the menu displays left-click the Copy option.

[*] Step Five: Paste the copied HTML code into the MLS editor.

Next, we switch to the browser window that has the MLS editor displayed in it. If you didn't already have this done just go ahead and open a new browser window and navigate to the editor as required (i.e. Add Topic, Add Reply etc.etc.).

Since by default when the editor opens its in the Normal View mode. The first thing that we need to do is switch the editor to the HTML View mode, next right-click anywhere within the editor's content area, finally when the menu displays point to and left-click the Paste option. After which you'll see all of the HTML code that you copied from the Jarte HTML document displayed in the editor's content area.

[*] Step Six: Switch to the Normal View mode.

Next we need to switch the editor back to the Normal View mode so we can finish editing the reply and have it ready for posting, so left-click the Normal button located in the lower-left of the editor. After the window refreshes select the text of the URL, right-click somewhere within the blue area, and after the menu displays left-click the Copy option.

[*] Step Seven: Replace the image URL with the actual image.

To replace the image URL with the actual image, first off make sure that you've left the text of the URL selected, then left-click the Insert Image button on the editor's tool bar, after the dialog displays right-click in the URL Field and when the menu displays left-click the Paste option. This will place the image's address in the field, the image will be displayed in the Image Viewing Pane, and the width & height values will be filled in. All that's left is to left-click the Insert button located in the bottom of the dialog.

If you are working with images that haven't as yet been uploaded to your 1st Class web space on the MLS server. Then instead of the image's URL address you'll be looking at the path on your local system to where the actual image file is located (previously included in your Jarte document). In this case, you'll left-click the Upload button in the dialog. Then when the Open/Choose File dialog displays use the path listed to navigate to the desired image file, finally double-click the file name and the image will be uploaded to the MLS server.

Since only one file at a time can uploaded to the MLS server using either the Image Gallery or Insert Image functions. If you have many images to up load, I would suggest that you take the time to setup and configure an FTP (File Transport Protocol) connection, it'll make uploading multiple files a lot easier.

[*] Step Eight: Confirm the image has replaced URL link.

After clicking the Insert button in the above step, the Insert Image dialog clears and focus is returned to the editor's content area. As can be seen in the above screen shot the actual image has in fact replaced the original URL text. In a longer document that contains more links to additional images, simply scroll down through the document and for each image URL address just repeat the process described in Step Seven.

[*] Step Nine: Preview the reply.

Actually the procedure was complete in the above step and all the needed to be done was to left- click the Submit button located in the lower-left of the window. However, you can preview the reply and I decided to use this preview to demonstrate that the format had been maintained (i.e. three lines of content with a single blank line between), now we click the Submit button.

[*] Step Ten: Review the posted topic.

The above screen shot shows the completed reply posted to the topic without any changes to the document's intended layout.
[/list] Hope you find the above of use.
SteveC

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Steve C.,

I must thank you for all the work you did on this wysiwyg issue and the excellent fashion in which it was presented. I am very impressed - indeed.

I do wish to make the following comments:

RE: "The best way to deal with images that you want to transfer from a Jarte document into the MLS editor, is to include the image's URL in the Jarte document, in the position you want the image to appear."

I never include the actual images in Jarte, but rather I do exactly as stated above - using their urls, but with image tags.

Since my material typically includes many pictures within the text source, I don't believe it practical to wade through all the material to replace so many urls with the actual images. This, to me, defeats the purpose of off-line creation of the source material.

In this regard, when I loaded my first product review here on MLS about the Aristo MKT car, I had discovered that copy / pasted material from Jarte into the MLS wysiwyg editor in its normal mode would not show the images (with tags) when "preview" was executed. This is still the case since I have been upgraded to 1st class status.

However, if I execute "submit" the images do show up. This is a good thing, but it gives me no preview ability before "publishing" so that any corrections can be made should there be a need to do so.
As a "work around", I can "test" each picture url in a browser to make sure the url is correctly done, though this adds time to the effort. But it seems to me it is the best compromise option available I must live with.

Of course the line spacing is still a problem - but again considering all the effort to straighten it out, from my perspective, it's best to just live with what wysiwyg puts forth.

Another issue is the use of Firefox browser vs. IE.
Using Firefox will not allow any pasted material to show up in the MLS wysiwyg editor, whereas it does work with IE.
This is another disappointment as I favor Firefox and I am now forced to use IE.

Again,
Thank you for your excellent insights and all the effort you did is much appreciated;

-Ted

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Ted

No problem, just trying to help out.

Based on what you've stated in your reply, about including the image tags enclosing the image URL's, although you didn't specify which type of tags I assume you are referring to the UBB/BBC/Forum Code tags that are enclosed in square brackets rather than the HTML tags.

If you modify the instructions in Step Four in my above reply, where you open the HTML document after exporting the Jarte document. You could use the Find/Replace All function in Jarte to replace the square bracket opening tags with the actual HTML code (i.e. < img alt="" src="), and the closing square bracket tags with the correct HTML (i.e. "_/> note the underscore character is used to represent a space character).

That way when you copy and then paste the HTML into the MLS editor's content area in the HTML View mode and switch to the Normal View or Preview modes you'll be able to see the images prior to submitting the reply for posting.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Steve, Thank you again.

Yes, the tags I was referring to were of the UBB / V-Bulletin types enclosed in square brackets.

I will have to try what you suggest after digesting what you stated.

Greg,

Interestingly that the ctl V does not work for me with when using the MLS wysiwyg editor with the Firefox browser, whereas it does work when using the IE browser.

Using the right click does work as you suggest as shown in the following example:

Amtrak South bound Coast Starlight train arriving in San Jose, CA on Oct. 27, 2008
Note Amtrak's typical "elephant style" GE P42 MUed loco pair.

-Ted

·
Super Modulator
21,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, control V does not work in this wysiwyg editor, nor sometimes in my web site wysiwyg editor either, but right clicking does...

Just the way things are... must be some commonality in these editors..

Regards, Greg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts